HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:17 PM
Southern PA, USA
Joined Apr 2004
49 Posts
Best landing gear type for Easy Star -- trike or tail dragger?

My brother-in-law flys R/C planes from his wheelchair. Currently, he usually depends on someone to hand-launch the plane for him.

He commented that having a plane with landing gear makes it possible for him to take off on his own (usually rolling off asphalt).

So, I'd like to add landing gear to an Easy Star for him.

I would appreciate comments on whether you think a three-wheel tricycle setup or a tail dragger setup would be better for this plane.

I do not plan to make the landing gear steerable. Simply point-and-shoot basically.

Thanks,

John
JohnSoPA is offline Find More Posts by JohnSoPA
Last edited by JohnSoPA; Aug 16, 2005 at 08:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:51 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
John,

You might check out the LG i did on my Tipsy. See-
http://community-2.webtv.net/oldcoot/TurboTipsyand/ The axle is piano wire, and the suspension for the axle is a strip of bicycle inner tube rolled up tightly into a cylinder, with the axle running thru the center. The cylinder is epoxied into a crosswise slot in the bottom of the fuse. This embedded rubber block plus the springiness of the wire gives the LG very good compliance. It would work great on the EZStar if scaled up in size, with heavier gauge music wire.

The straight axle setup is very similar to the Wingo's also.

Bill(oldcoot)
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:08 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Curious, with that small of a prop would there even be enough thrust to ROG?

Let us know how it turns out.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:29 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
I fly my easystar without handlaunching it, It slides on its belly for about 5 feet then goes vertical. Of course it does have a mega 16/15/4 in it
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:14 PM
Southern PA, USA
Joined Apr 2004
49 Posts
Bill, thanks. I might try the axle approach. I have a Movie Star and it uses a similar gear.

Popsracer, you may be right about not enough thrust to ROG; I'm hopeful that it'll work for asphalt which is what he flys from.

Thanks!

John
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:18 AM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
John,

I think you'll be surprized at how easily the plane will ROG.

Before putting wheels on the Tips, i was amazed that it would ROG _off asphalt_ using only a belly skid. That was with the old stock 280 motor. The only modification was switching to the Gunther 4.9 X 4.3 'spoon blade' prop (which i believe is the same prop that the EZStar comes with).

With a 400 size motor driving that prop, and with wheels, the EZStar should ROG with ease.

Of course after the hop-up to brushless, the old Tips will do Harrier takeoffs in a 10 to 12 knot headwind.

Bill(oc)
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:06 PM
Southern PA, USA
Joined Apr 2004
49 Posts
Bill, that's what I'm hoping for!

Here's some pics of where I'm at so far. I inserted some aluminum tubing through the fuselage thinking I'd insert landing gear from both sides, then I remembered I had a ton of GWS parts left over since I don't use landing gear on any of those planes. So, I channeled out some foam and put the landing gear plastic seat into the channel. Then, decided to use the aluminum tubing for securing the landing gear.

I haven't decided how to do the front nose wire/wheel yet.

Ideas?

(Looks a little goofy IMHO but it's functionality over form for this application!)

John
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:03 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Functional landing gear...

Here's what I did...

Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Sep 20, 2005, 02:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
John,

I am using my EZ* for AP and want to put landing gear on it so that I can use it where there are no suitable fields to land on.
How did you get on with your experiments?
Did you use a nose wheel or a tail dragger?

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:10 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
"not enough thrust to ROG" i see that a lot and i don't understand it. if the plane can get rolling in a straight line down the asphalt it's going to eventually come off the ground. only something that wouldn't be able to get up to speed, or barely can, wouldn't be able to ROG. last i checked, the parkzone stryker isn't ultra powerful (in stock config) but i had no trouble with ROG when i added landing gear to it (experiment... don't fly with it anymore).

the bigger concern with ROG is that you're using up your battery that much more to a) gain speed and b) get off the ground and up to altitude. when we hand launch our planes we give them a good 6+ feet of altitude to start and plenty of forward momentum. so, consider that you may need more batteries (or higher capacity) to get all the time you want for flying. the gear you add will also add weight, slow your plane and burn more battery juice.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Sep 20, 2005, 04:26 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive
"not enough thrust to ROG" i see that a lot and i don't understand it. if the plane can get rolling in a straight line down the asphalt it's going to eventually come off the ground. only something that wouldn't be able to get up to speed, or barely can, wouldn't be able to ROG. last i checked, the parkzone stryker isn't ultra powerful (in stock config) but i had no trouble with ROG when i added landing gear to it (experiment... don't fly with it anymore).

the bigger concern with ROG is that you're using up your battery that much more to a) gain speed and b) get off the ground and up to altitude. when we hand launch our planes we give them a good 6+ feet of altitude to start and plenty of forward momentum. so, consider that you may need more batteries (or higher capacity) to get all the time you want for flying. the gear you add will also add weight, slow your plane and burn more battery juice.
Boy if you are concerned about the amount of juice it takes to get 6 feet off the ground, time to go LIPOs I think
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Aug 07, 2008, 10:15 PM
Marstons Mills, Mass
Joined Jul 2008
2 Posts
easy star belly skids

a friend has modified his easy star with a brushless motor and has power to takeoff the ground without hand lauch. He has used plastic strips from large plastic coke bottles glued to the bottom fuselage with hot glue. It protects the foam underbelly from hard landings as well as a sled for takeoffs.
deinobfl is offline Find More Posts by deinobfl