HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2005, 03:37 PM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,283 Posts
NooB question on etiquite

OK, I have my plane on the way EZ*...if I go to the local RC field, which is just down the road from me...Are the gassers gonna be offended by my EP...I mean I dont want to offend anyone and get made fun of...I might go just for some advice and maybe have one of them do a maiden flight with it...
JediKnight2 is offline Find More Posts by JediKnight2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2005, 04:01 PM
Newb Flier
Jackson, TN
Joined Jul 2005
112 Posts
I doubt you'll offend anyone. Some of them may not like electric airplanes (just as some electric flyers don't like IC powered planes). Depends on the group of guys really.

My advice is to head down to the field with a positive attitude, and try to be friendly. If they're not receptive, find somewhere else to fly.
askaggs is offline Find More Posts by askaggs
Old Aug 15, 2005, 04:05 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Good advice! you also may not be to welcome to fly an electric there but again thats if the guys are not really too friendly.
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
Old Aug 15, 2005, 04:21 PM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
Take your plane out and fly it at the field, then when the next guy steps up to fly his gas plane, put on your gas mask.
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:01 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2
I might go just for some advice and maybe have one of them do a maiden flight with it...
That might be the prudent thing to do . . if it doesn't look like a "good fit", perhaps others can direct you to a more appropriate group (many fly both fuel and electric models). If "just down the road" is less than 3 miles, frequency interference may be an issue if you fly at other non-club sites in the area. Club Information
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:57 PM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,283 Posts
I am probably within a 3-mile radius as I live off of Gordon Road...
JediKnight2 is offline Find More Posts by JediKnight2
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:42 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
http://modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

This link will help you locate clubs in your area. Remember that the address is not the location of the field but the home of a member.

Try anyting that is even remotely in your area. Each club has its own character. You may have to look around to find one you like.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:55 PM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2002
272 Posts
Info for beginners

For hints on

- Learning to fly
- Trimming your Plane
- Catching Thermals
- Slope Soaring

and lots of other goodies, see my site

www.newrcflyers.com

Cheers - IP
Ian Pullar is offline Find More Posts by Ian Pullar
Old Aug 17, 2005, 05:21 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,339 Posts
What sort of a field is it? I mean, does a club own or rent it, or have some other arrangement that makes it "private"? That might make it a members-only field.

When you go there, do not switch on anything before you have talked with somebody who seems willing to talk.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Aug 17, 2005, 07:04 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pullar
For hints on

- Learning to fly
- Trimming your Plane
- Catching Thermals
- Slope Soaring

and lots of other goodies, see my site

www.newrcflyers.com

Cheers - IP
Ian,

This is quite an impressive site you have put together.

I have only gone through part of it but it is an outstanding resource for new flyers. My complements to you for your outstanding work and your contribution to helping new flyers get into the air successfully.

I hope you won't mind if I include the link to your site with some of the materials I recommend to new flyers.

Well done!

Ed Anderson
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 17, 2005, 04:24 PM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
hehe, i love the jokes section.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Aug 17, 2005, 05:59 PM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2002
272 Posts
newrcflyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Ian,

I hope you won't mind if I include the link to your site with some of the materials I recommend to new flyers.
www.newrcflyers.com

Ed Anderson
Thanks Ed, that's fine. I am also okay if anyone steals the material and puts it on their club sites or club magazines, or links to the site or just individual pages.

I write it for two reasons - I was saddended by people buying the wrong equipment, or buying it and crashing it - and I found it simpler to build a web site than to answer all the frequently asked questions. Fortunately there are now lots of other good resources around also.

Site does not include some of the amazing advances in last 2 years (lipos, brushless, better range of ARF & RTF kits and the big price drops) but the beginner will be able to walk into a shop and make EDUCATED enquiries & purchases - and have less probability of crashing it.

Cheers - IP
Ian Pullar is offline Find More Posts by Ian Pullar
Last edited by Ian Pullar; Aug 17, 2005 at 06:18 PM.