HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2005, 11:23 PM
Joined Sep 2005
11 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I have been working on my " BigNasty " for a few days now.
I noticed the firewall's from the plans didnt quite fit, but
other than that she went together ok. I havent been
fortunate enough to fly her yet but hopefully i get
a chance in the next few days
Declared_Insane is offline Find More Posts by Declared_Insane
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2005, 06:23 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
RacerX

I used a 1/2 balsa spar and laminated it with a strip of FFF. It only made it to about 3/4 of an inch, but that is where I left it, and it fly's GREAT!!!

Waterdog could probably answer better but I bet that just about anything over about 1/2 inch would be strong enough for the spar.

RacerX and Declaired Insane: You guys will love flying the BN. I'm in Memphis for work, and I love mine so much, I brought it along for the 500 mile drive. Now I just need to find a place to fly it.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Oct 02, 2005, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohimby
RacerX

I used a 1/2 balsa spar and laminated it with a strip of FFF. It only made it to about 3/4 of an inch, but that is where I left it, and it fly's GREAT!!!

Waterdog could probably answer better but I bet that just about anything over about 1/2 inch would be strong enough for the spar.

RacerX and Declaired Insane: You guys will love flying the BN. I'm in Memphis for work, and I love mine so much, I brought it along for the 500 mile drive. Now I just need to find a place to fly it.
Thanks for the advice. Did you apply packing tape to the seam before folding and clamping the wing with that spar? Also, what type of power system are you using in the BN? I see the specs call for an EPS-350D or a brushless.

Yes, I'm still curious as to Waterdog's thoughts too
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:05 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Ouch.

RacerX208-That stinks. Sorry, it is a good idea to tape the LE seam once its folded, before you glue it. But its not as important as picking the best seam from the bundle you can find. I usually pull half the bundles off the shelf at Lowes looking for a real good one. If the seam has any splits in it, it will tear like yours did. No big deal, just pick the best seam and tape it, and the build will go fast this time. And yes, 1/2 - 1 inch spar is fine. As far as the trailing edge, use epoxy and leave it clamped tight overnight before removing clamps. Mine did the same thing when I used 3M spray adhesive. But once redone this way it should be tight and straight.

Declared Insane- Nice job! Thats a good looking plane ya got there. More pics please.

beamerdr- those 400's run hot, never seen one cool. That cc25 will take it if it hasn't cutoff on you yet. I've given then 32+ amps for 15 seconds plus with no harm. As the weather cools, so will your setup. Like the color tape job.

yohimby- That's great! The "BIGNASTY" is now officially a "Portable 3D Plane". Did you fly it yet?
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Oct 04, 2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Memphis is kind of dense where I'm at, I can drive to West Memphis (about 15 minutes) and fly it, but I haven't had the chance to do so with the meetings I have to attend. The hotel I'm in has a large balcony off of the pool and fitness rooms, been thinking of flying it off there (only on the 3rd floor, but enough room from there). The Company is taking the misses to be and me to Graceland tonight..... might be room to fly it there...... I think Elvis would have liked flying RC Planes if he would have giving it a shot...
Old Oct 03, 2005, 10:52 PM
O. C. CA
Joined Jan 2005
815 Posts
Since everyone has come up with good ideas, and free plans, I will share how I use BlueCor to make my wings. I use the fold just like you do however, after I cut the width and length of the wing I want, I use a strip of BlueCor cut to the thickness I need to make the wing the right thickness. I glue that on edge inside at the proper placement back from the LE. running the total length inside the wing. You need to be carefull to get it straight of course. After that is set in place, I put liquid nails on the inside TE of the wing, and use strong rubber bands about every 1 1/2 inches to hold the wing TE tight together. It make a really strong wing, and will not flex. The first ones I did, I clamped and messed around, but the rubber bands work better for me. The last wing I did was a 40 inch with 8" cord, I used a strip of BlueCor 1" high to get a wing thickness of ~ 1 1/2 ", for a 19 % ratio. The liquid nails gives you plenty of time to get everything straight, rubber bands on, and really sticks good. If my rambling are not clear, ask questions and I will try to help more. Also if you use a heat gun over the wing when finished, it makes it look really nice, and even stronger. Cheers.

Himeros
himeros is offline Find More Posts by himeros
Old Oct 04, 2005, 10:04 AM
Joined Sep 2005
11 Posts
Whell everyone, I finally got to fly tha nasty. Only one word to describe
this Plane...."Awesome". But unfortunately i CRASHED it!!!!. I started out easy, got the feel of things, did a couple of
loops..started loosing power.....then nose-dived right into the ground. After
inspecting the crash site , i found that the hex head, that fits into the
back of the prop, on my gearbox stripped out and my propeller spun freely!
i'm pretty sure this was the problem while i was in the air, but cant tell for sure. BTW i was running a park 400 4200kv, with
a 3-Cell 2100, & a 12x6 prop. My 400 and esc were both HOTT!!!
too hot to hold ( hope i didnt butn them up)
Quote:
waterdog says,"Declared Insane- Nice job! Thats a good looking plane ya got there. More pics please."
heres my last pic for this plane

TWO THINGS I HAVE LEARNED;
  • Dont use a cheap gear box
  • and never finnish/paint your plane untill you have flown it.
Old Oct 04, 2005, 10:24 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
D.I.- Bummer! Don't scrap it, looks rebuildable. Glad it was awesome for a little while. The motor does need to be well placed as this thing really torques in the sky. Try again, it'll fly!
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:22 PM
Joined Sep 2005
11 Posts
Whell...Flew the bignasty a few more times. Finally tore it up enough not to mess with repairing it. But..I did build another one 12% bigger. Im calling it the Giant nasty! Hopefully I get to fly it tomorrow.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:05 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Wow, you did a great job on it. What are you using for power? Motor, batts, esc you know all the goodies.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2005
11 Posts
I used the same equipment in my new plane. Park 400 inrunner, 12x6 prop,
2100 3C Lipo, 6.6.0 gearbox. I dont know the weight yet, but it will still
hoover at 3/4 throttle. I'll post another reply after i fly it today.
The bigger fusalodge made it a lot easier to mess with my servos esc.
measurements are: wingspan 44", fusalodge 43"
Last edited by Declared_Insane; Oct 20, 2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 08:34 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
GiantNasty

D.I. Looking good! Must be a real floater with that wingspan. Congrats on a great job.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 09:59 AM
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
DI, yes, Nice plane!! You will have to let us all know how she flies. Good job on the covering too!! Looks like she will be alot of fun!!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:02 AM
Joined Sep 2005
11 Posts
Whell...Since it has been a little windy I decided
to build another "bigNasty". Sorry if im hoggin the forum
I just cant get enough of this plane!!! I did this one a little different.
I used a park 400 outrunner, 2100 3-c and 9x5 prop. flew pretty good,
but wouldnt quite hoover. I also used individual servos for the
ailerons and I mounted my elevator & rudder servos at the back of my
fusaloge. Pretty soon Ill start adding some video's, weights!, Ect.. Just
havent had time to.

One more note: Those are my wife's Legs...Not mine!
Last edited by Declared_Insane; Oct 25, 2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:51 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Wow!

Thats a looker! Nice color job. At that wingspan and weight, might be time for a Hacker A30 with a 11-12 inch prop. It'll not only hover, but go ballistic from a hover.
Congrats on another great build.