SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2006, 10:04 AM
Granger,IN
Joined Oct 2001
149 Posts
Actually, it's paint and sharpie pens. The yellow is "Painters Choice" latex paint, the blue and black are sharpie pens. The plane AUW is 24oz. HS-85 on the ailerons, hs55's on the rudder and elev. The motor is a AXI 2212/34 with a 11x4.7 prop which pulls about 10amps from the 3s 2600ma lipo. That's a reading from a dc clamp-on meter but I'm not sure its acurate. I think its a little under powered with this setup, so I'm going to try some differant props, maybe a bigger motor. It will get airborn in about 10-12', but I don't have unlimited verticle, but fun to fly for sure. What motors are you guys using?
Figure9 is online now Find More Posts by Figure9
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:22 PM
Kaysville/Provo
Joined Jan 2006
178 Posts
well, i finally found and bought some bluecore. none of the lowes in Utah carry it, so i had to get it at a builder supply warehouse, and it cost me 46 bucks. oh well, i just want to get started. hopefully i will have one done by tonight.

Kyle
BGArmy is offline Find More Posts by BGArmy
Old Apr 04, 2006, 05:45 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Figure9- I've been usinga Hacker A-20 22 with a APC 11 or 12 " prop and a 2100 3cell. It loves speed, might go with a A-30 next.

BGArmy- Hows it coming along?
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Apr 04, 2006, 09:35 PM
Kaysville/Provo
Joined Jan 2006
178 Posts
well, I went to try to find a carbon fiber spar at Wally-world, and i was told that arrows are a seasonal product. so i need to find another one. Other than that, i have all the peices cut out, the fuse is glued together,getting ready to put on the tail. I can't wait to fly it...

Kyle
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:24 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
New Motor

Decided that this plane likes speed so I upgraded to a Hacker A30-28s with 11x5.5 apc prop. Will fly it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:31 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
EEEWWWW..... I've been wanting to see how the BN flies with an A30. I know you've been talking about trying it out since the thread was young.

Please let us know how it flies. I've been thinking of building another, and have been wanting to go with something a bit hotter behind the prop....

Please post a vid if you can!!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:58 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Yeehaaa!

That's what I'm talkin' bout!! This baby hauls
It went from mild mannered foamie to ballistic missile with just a push forward on the stick! It's a little nose heavy in the video but man did this thing go! I didn't add any music so you could here the motor rev up and know when I hit it. I kept running out of field quick with the way it was covering ground and punching holes in the sky. What a blast! The "BigNasty" took everything I could throw at it, high speed dives, full throttle blenders, abrupt manuevers, and nothing seemed to faze it. It felt like it could take even more G's and speed, this bird is tough.

Numbskull- ya gotta try this one! You will not be dissappointed.

www.ozonefoam.com/bn30.wmv 10mgs Cable
www.ozonefoam.com/bn30d.wmv 4mgs Dial up
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 13, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:31 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
S-W-E-A-T!!!!!

Dmn you WaterDog!!! Now I have to go and buy an A30!!!!

That thing gets up and moves with that motor on there. I thought mine flew good with the A20, I think the A30 is what this bird REALLY needs!!!

The video was great too, I'm glad you left the music out, that way we can hear one of the other pilot bring in their model for a bit of a rough landing about 1/2 way through the vid... Oh, and you had a good landing there too.... Happens to all of us. I took my Hyperion Cap 232 out for it's second flight last week, and ripped the gear completely off... Took some of the fuse with it too...
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:35 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
Which AXI would be good for this plane?
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:04 AM
Kaysville/Provo
Joined Jan 2006
178 Posts
yeah i need to figure out what motor i'm going to use. I have two, and Eflight 450 outrunner and an AXI 2808/20. I know the AXI will be WAYYYY overkill, but i don't know if the 450 will have the punch i want.

I have taken longer than i would have hoped to get this plane up, but i am almost done. I have the wings built, the fuse is ready, the elevator is cut out. all i need to do is glue the wings in, tape the elevator and rudder, install servos and make landing gear. should have it done this week...i can't wait to fly her.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:36 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Warrreagle- 2808 series is a good one and yours will do fine. Throw it on there!
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:17 PM
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
That's what I'm talkin' bout!! This baby hauls
It went from mild mannered foamie to ballistic missile with just a push forward on the stick!
Hi WaterDog,

Just for grins, I plugged that A30-28S of yours with an 11 x 5.5 APC E prop and TP 2100 3S into Drive Calculator and it predicts 25.6 Amps at 44.2 oz thrust! No wonder you were impressed.

Curious if those numbers sound about right.

--Van
van-c is offline Find More Posts by van-c
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:09 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
van-c, Thats about 4 amps less than I thought. Have to go for a 12x5 next! That should put me over the 50 oz thrust line. I'm amazed that I didn't have any flutter or stress on the airframe. It could take more. Gotta get another for the straight wing "BIGNASTY" that's ready to go.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:50 PM
Joined Apr 2006
5 Posts
Build Questions

Are you guys building this plane with 6mm or 3mm foam? How heavy does it come out to without any electronics (bare airframe). I am really interested in building this plane after having many bad experiences with foamies. Also, I have an efite park 400.. would this motor be ballistic in this plane or just enough power? Thanks
jimmmaaa is offline Find More Posts by jimmmaaa
Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:00 PM
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
292 Posts
WaterDog,

Yeah, you'll be in the mid 50 oz range I'll bet. When I get a heftier 3S, I'm gonna build that BN for my AXI 2212-34. With a 12 x 6 it should get close to 30 oz.-- plenty for me to get into big trouble.

--Van
van-c is offline Find More Posts by van-c