HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2005, 01:45 PM
Klaus Christiansen
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Aug 2005
2 Posts
Hobby shops in Miami, Florida

Hi Guys,
I am going to visit Miami in september and I am looking for a good place to buy some servos for a new glider. I am particulary interested in JR DS 368. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Klaus C. is offline Find More Posts by Klaus C.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:32 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Esprit model is in Florida although not in Miami. You would need to be careful about going to a big shop like that as you may end up with more than servos.

www.espritmodel.com

Hmm I see its 155 miles from Palm Bay to Miami, more than I would have thought.
davidleitch is online now Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:43 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
682 Posts
Miami Hobby stores

I'm a little north of there. Ft. Lauderdale. I know of several up here. One our our club members is from the Miami Area and knows of some local hobby stores.

I'll see if I can get him to post some places for you.

Radian

www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:06 PM
Born to be free
undefined
Joined Sep 2004
413 Posts
Klaus,

There are no Hobby Shops worth mentioning in the Miami area.

The "Hobby Nut" is the only one that carries R/C Airplaines but no sailplanes.

I travel to Ft. Lauderdale also. It's about an hours drive from where I live in Homestaed. I recommend you do the same. Warrick Hobbies is about 30 min from Miami International Airport and R/C Hobbies about 45 minutes away.

If you need more information please let me know.

TommyT
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt
Old Aug 16, 2005, 03:09 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Aug 2002
239 Posts
RC hobbies in Ft. Lauderdale. About an hour from Miami.

6800 North University Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33321
(954) 721-5720
www.rchobbies.net

FP.
FlyingPig is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPig
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:19 PM
Klaus Christiansen
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Aug 2005
2 Posts
Thank you all!
TommyT, if you have any more information I would be very pleased )!

Klaus
Klaus C. is offline Find More Posts by Klaus C.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 06:10 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Aug 2002
239 Posts
Not sure whether it's this one or not...

http://www.warrickcustomhobbies.com/inside/index.php

FP.
FlyingPig is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPig
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:21 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,226 Posts
Great Hobby stores

Hey there Klaus. My name is James and I'm from the Miami area and I know a few Hobby stores that are very "Worth" mentioning. There is Crown Hobby on 7439 Coral way, 305-264-3964 ask for Mort, there is also The Hobby Nut on 12679 South Dixie Highway (Also known as US1). 305-235-9584 That's Clarks place. You alsao have Aurora Hobbies at 2760 west 84th street in Hialeah 305-821-6668. If you're in the north Miami area you might want to check out Felix Hobbies at 13394 West Dixie Highway, 305-895-5362.

But if you are looking for a HUGE selection of stuff you defenetly want to go to Warwick Custom Hobbies in Plantation. 7676 Peters Road, Plantation, 954-370-0708. A little bit of a drive but worth the trip. Take I-95 north and exit onto I-595 going west. Exit at university drive and go north. (right) It'll be behind a Bank of America after your second left. I hope this helps.

Dangerous james ...Popano Hill Safety Officer
Dangerous James is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:19 PM
Born to be free
undefined
Joined Sep 2004
413 Posts
Klaus and others,

Klaus is looking for JR Servos... for his new sailplane.

Now, I grew up in Germany where I learned to fly Slope and Thermal over 25 years ago. I have not found one Hobby Shop here in the USA that even compares to the Hobby Shops that you find in many European Cities. Many hobby shops there have a huge selection of kits including many scale and non-scale sailplane kits from such companies as Multiplex, Graupner, Robbe and so on. Truely a Modelers Heaven. Sailplanes have a huge following in Europe.

Yes, there are a few shops here in Miami but unless your into Power Planes, Boats or Cars or you need a few rolls of Monokote, some Balsa or CA you'd better make the trip to Warrick or R/C Hobbies in Ft Lauderdale. In any case Klaus, unless you want to get a GP Spirit, CG Gentle Lady you'll only find two or three sailplane kits in stock at any of these hobby shops and JR equipment is not available everywhere.

James Wrote:
"Hey there Klaus. My name is James and I'm from the Miami area and I know a few Hobby stores that are very "Worth" mentioning. There is Crown Hobby on 7439 Coral way, 305-264-3964 ask for Mort, there is also The Hobby Nut on 12679 South Dixie Highway (Also known as US1). 305-235-9584 That's Clarks place. You alsao have Aurora Hobbies at 2760 west 84th street in Hialeah 305-821-6668. If you're in the north Miami area you might want to check out Felix Hobbies at 13394 West Dixie Highway, 305-895-5362."

Crown Hobbies: Some JR stuff if I recall but very limited at best. Mort, nice guy, larger shop but mostly into Boats and Cars. Drove right past it many times on my way to OB.

Hobby Nut: No JR Stuff at all and Clark, well... you either get along with him or hate him, I get along with him but... hmmm Sal/NSP comes to mind Anyway, Clark has a small shop, some power kits, cars and plastics.

Aurora and Felix Hobbies: Never been there so I have no oppinion.

Warrick Custom Hobbies: Has most everything JR makes. Knowledgeable sales staff, See Les. Very large shop with lots of goodies and selection of all major brands. My No.1 choice.

R/C Hobbies: Also has most everything JR makes and a knowledgeable sales staff. A very large shop with a good selection of all major brands. Warrick is closer for me.

Unfortunately most of us here in the USA who like to fly sailplanes have to get our toys through mail order.

Claus, if you decide to take a classic American Sailplane back to Denmark then get a Carl Goldberg "Gentle Lady" kit.

Also, see if Dangerous James or Miami Mike or can get you in Popano Hill or Vista View.

Thermals,
TommyT
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt
Last edited by tommyt; Aug 17, 2005 at 11:28 PM.