HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2005, 01:07 PM
WOT me worry?
Houston but not for much longer
Joined Jul 2005
33 Posts
RTR Gas boats

Wow, this boat is slick! I'm very new to boats, and I read a sales article about this boat. Does anyone have anything to say about this boat?

As a real novice, how do you retrieve a capsized or stalled boat in the middle of the lake?
VorTX is offline Find More Posts by VorTX
Last edited by VorTX; Aug 23, 2005 at 09:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:37 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
Nothing good. They've had their share of typical ProBoat problems. Misaligned stuffing tubes that leads to flex cable breakage is a big one. They really aren't too fast for what you pay for one, the ones that I've seen run are slow but don't handle too bad.
The second question is asked a lot. A tennis ball and fishing reel if it dies close by, a rod and reel with a top-water lure can work but I favor my inflatable boats, cheap and fairly easy to transport. A big no-no is to swim after a dead boat, peole have drowned doing this. Yes, no kidding.
BTW, don't believe all that you read, especially in magazines. They wouldn't sell much ad space if they told the real truth.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:54 AM
WOT me worry?
Joined Jul 2005
33 Posts
Thanks Ron, I guess this includes the pro boat miss bud hydro as well? I saw that one on the DYI show rc hobbies. But read an article which said left turns faster than 1/2 throtle were a danger no no because of rudder designed to turn right. So what is a good rtr gas boat? thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:46 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,798 Posts
Quote:
So what is a good rtr gas boat?
That depends on what you want to do with it. Remember that the full size hydroplanes go fast and turn left. The models are designed to go fast and turn right. If you want to turn right and left equally well, a deep vee is the better choice. The guys who race model deep vees also go fast and turn right.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:34 PM
WOT me worry?
Joined Jul 2005
33 Posts
I don’t need to be the fastest boat on the lake, just for fun. I want reliability, Gas, RTR, larger size, good looks like the deep V or Miss. Bud, and the ability to kick up a rooster tail and go fast and turn in all directions with little worry of capsizing. I use a wheelchair, so rescue missions to save a capsized boat is not an option.

Thanks guys
Old Aug 16, 2005, 06:33 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
I have a device to retrieve boats taht works extreamly well. It is just a raquet ball attached to a fishing pole. I used it on my tunnel hull, which I am trying to sell. But just a simple tennis ball firmly attached to the end of a fishing poll works great.

I have found that people have alot of fun with airboats. You might want to look into that, because I know of at least 2 that are very popular.
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Aug 17, 2005, 07:25 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
Look at the Warehouse Hobbies boats, www.whobbies.com . They are reliable Gas boats and you can get them in various stages of build. They are also upgradable so you don't get too bored.
Add some Pool Noodles in the sides for floatation as we always seem to flip boats trying to find their limits.
If you can, try not to go boating alone. It's always safer to have someone else there with you no matter who you are.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:37 PM
WOT me worry?
Joined Jul 2005
33 Posts
Thanks guys for the helpful information. Since I have not seen a RC boat in person since grade school, what is your experienced opinion on the pros and cons between the similar looking “Super Sport” by Warehouse Hobbies (which looks impressive), and the “ShockWave” by Pro Boat? BTW, I got interested in boats after seeing the episode with Tony Castronovo on RC Hobbies show on DYI.. Thanks again.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:48 PM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VorTX
Thanks Ron, I guess this includes the pro boat miss bud hydro as well? I saw that one on the DYI show rc hobbies. But read an article which said left turns faster than 1/2 throtle were a danger no no because of rudder designed to turn right. So what is a good rtr gas boat? thanks.

This boat is crap. Do not buy it. Just look at ebay, how many are selling them. The hull is cheap and cracks very easy.

I will recomend that you look at warehousehobbies, or for a little more $$$ www.bonzisports.com.

I own both Man-o-war and a bonzi 50". The Bonzi is built like a tank !

Stay away from proboat for Gas.

You may also want to check out www.modelgasboats.com for some excellent info on gas boats. (P.S. you won't find shockwave even mentioned !)

Nick
FAA is offline Find More Posts by FAA
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:52 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
I'd go with the Super Sport. Tony has been in business for a long time, not a fly-by-night outfit. The hull has a much heavier lay-up that can take a good beating.
I'm not too impressed with Chris Chianelli and that episode. He tells what not to do with the boat and not 3 minutes later they break just about every no-no that he had just talked about. You did get to see the wave-jumping abiliities of the boat.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:34 AM
WOT me worry?
Joined Jul 2005
33 Posts
Thanks again guys,

You've saved me from running off with the first "pretty face" I saw. I think I'll get the WH Super Sport. I even got clearence from my wife. I'm going to wait until after we move, and I have a chance to check out the local lakes.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 04:28 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of hard sneaking a big boat like that into the house!
I've tried but the last boat came in a big box so it was hard to hide. She really didn't complain (much) but it was my money. Her Christmas was better than usual so that shut her up.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:57 AM
Maxx Basher/Savage Hunter
Central VA
Joined Sep 2004
281 Posts
Can't go wrong with WHH and the Super Sport is a nice water cooled starter boat with plenty of room to grow. I have a Super G which is the same hull but it comes with an air cooled engine, it is a nicely built boat and I have upgraded mine to water cooling and tuned pipe, etc.

WHH is the way to go, great folks!
Davcruz is offline Find More Posts by Davcruz
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:01 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
Another one to look at that should be out in the next week or two:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=HCAB40**
Kind of big but cool looking. There is a video that you can check out also but it's big so if you have dial-up, be patient.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 09:01 PM
WOT me worry?
Joined Jul 2005
33 Posts
This V24 is extremely cool, thanks for the heads up.........please keep them coming. I can't wait until we move and I check out the lakes. With a radio, tuned pipe, and adjustable drive via 3rd channel, it proves that competition is good for the consumer.