SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:54 AM
Trex 250, Trex 450, Logo 400SE
Aurora
Joined Apr 2005
152 Posts
Coverting GP Spirit into E-Spirit

Hi guys,
I have a ten years old GP Spirit and I would like to convert it into electric. Would you please give me a few suggestion on what kind of set up I should get? Money is kind of limited, and would like to get a brush motor and controller if it is possible. I have a few Lipos (Two 7.4V 1320 and a 11.1V 2100mah) and I would like to use them on my Spirit when it is done.

Thanks

kfc2
kfc2 is offline Find More Posts by kfc2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:14 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc2
Hi guys,
I have a ten years old GP Spirit and I would like to convert it into electric. Would you please give me a few suggestion on what kind of set up I should get? Money is kind of limited, and would like to get a brush motor and controller if it is possible. I have a few Lipos (Two 7.4V 1320 and a 11.1V 2100mah) and I would like to use them on my Spirit when it is done.

Thanks

kfc2
You might try looking on e-Bay for deals on used motors/controllers.

I have a direct drive speed 400 in my 2 meter Allegro Lite using the 7.4 volt 1320s that you have, but this model is quite light (23 ounces) so this setup is probably not ideal for the Spirit. I like these packs quite a lot. I can get 6 or 7 climbs out of a pack. Of course is is a "sport" setup in that the climbs are shallow and slow, but it works well for me in it's intended role of a practice system.

I think your 11.1 volt 2100 pack would be quite good for the Spirit, you just need to find a power setup that keeps the current draw under the max for those cells. Gearboxes and larger props will help your cause, but that does add cost to your project. You might find it the same price to get a brushless outrunner on direct drive.

You might try different motor and prop setups on this website:

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:37 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,694 Posts
Also, you might want to think about building a second fuselage for the Spirit. That way, you can keep the glider fuselage, but you have an electric option. And, you could make some improvments. Such as a better tail setup.

Here is an article talking about some Spirit "hop ups":

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...spiritmods.htm

You might even go with a pod and boom style design.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:57 AM
Trex 250, Trex 450, Logo 400SE
Aurora
Joined Apr 2005
152 Posts
Hi Ryan,
Thanks a lot for the useful info!

Thank you
kfc2 is offline Find More Posts by kfc2
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:48 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Search here for Spirit.. there's a lot of information on the conversion.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul