SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2005, 05:38 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined Jun 2004
179 Posts
Cars to Planes to Helis

AFter getting my feet wet with cars, I went to planes and now, making the jump to helis. I have sim-ed a while and now ready to take the plunge to buy a heli. What is a good beginner kit? I was thinking about the Honeybee ( anyone out there want to part with theirs??) or the Dragonfly. I know it will take a beating and have many parts that need to be replaced. Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
hogan
hogan is offline Find More Posts by hogan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2005, 06:02 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,494 Posts
I did the samething you did, from cars to planes to heli, but in a longer duration (19 years). With heli, the only thing that is similar to a plane is during forward flight. But hovering and transation from hovering to forward flight is very different and will require some time to get used to.

Back to your question. there has been debates about ease to fly vs durability. If you want crash survivability, Corona is the best. But Corona (and many micro helis like those you mentioned) are fixed pitch, thus not as easy to fly as collective pitch. But collective pitch helis are usually more expensive. So while many fliers will jump in with their favorite recommendation, you have to determine what your budget is first.

Good luck.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Aug 14, 2005, 06:44 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined Jun 2004
179 Posts
My duration is about the same, started in cars when I was 12, then to flying planes in circles, eventually to micro helis. Glad to stand still and fly!
I guess I am not too terribly worried about durability as I am with ease of flying. Money is obviously an issue but want something that I can train on then eventually jumping to a better/decent kit, so nothign too terribly expensive but not too cheap either. I liked the 100 dollar ARF kits but would put more into if it will get me going quicker. Do you have any suggestions on collective pitch helis?
hogan is offline Find More Posts by hogan
Old Aug 14, 2005, 07:16 PM
Joined Jul 2003
202 Posts
I went from cars to planes to heli's too and the Blade has been great for me so far.
foofinator is offline Find More Posts by foofinator