HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2005, 08:13 PM
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
Wow! Impressed with T-hawk

First off with question. How many amps can the battery packs in kit safely stand? Is 3 amps ok? Just started in RC with a Corona heli and wanted a plane too so got the T-hawk. There is a little bit wind of wind but lost patience so been flying for couple of hours now and quit counting how many crashes I have had and hardly a scratch on the Hawk. Even flew into a tree. Been doing landings/crashes into soft soybean field and taking off with the larger gear on gravel road. Flew full speed (accidentally) into board fence and it took out the top board but only thing it did to T hawk was very slight dent in nose. Anyway, pretty impressed!
farscape105 is offline Find More Posts by farscape105
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:16 PM
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
Well, was having too much fun and flew too late at dusk and lost site of it and lost it in fields. Going to have to do a search and rescue mission in the morning.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:16 AM
S. Calif.
Joined Mar 2005
255 Posts
The T-Hawk is a tough bird, isn't it. I have almost 90 flights on mine, including a couple crashes without significant damage. Sorry you lost yours! Hope you find it tomorrow.
philipnow is offline Find More Posts by philipnow
Old Aug 14, 2005, 05:54 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,118 Posts
To figure the rough amp draw (average) - time your flight - say 10 minutes. THe batery is a 900 mah, I believe.

Divide flight time by 60 = minute/hour =6 in this example. Divide capacity/hours =.9

Multiply .9 by 6 to find your average draw = 5.4 amps

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
Oh, sorry, I meant is it safe to charge them at 3 or 5 amps. I charge my 8 pack 3400 gp's safely at 5 amps for my heli, but wasn't sure for smaller packs the Hawk uses if it should only be charged at like 1 amp. Thanks

BTW, spent few hours looking for hawk and I think it is lost for good. Oh well, expensive lesson.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 01:16 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost your plane.

If you do find it, 3-5 amps is WAY too high of a charging rate for that size of a battery pack. I would consider 2C as the absolute MAXIMUM rate (1.8A), watch battery temperature closely during charging.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Aug 14, 2005, 02:09 PM
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
Oh YESSSSS!!! Found plane!! Got inspiration from reading some others stories of searching for lost plane so thought I would try again. Lucked out, found in soybean field while walking to corn field where I thought it went down. No more flying when sun is going down.

One good thing out of this. There are power lines on one side of the road that I had to keep avoiding (hit them once with no damage). Well during this search found a HUGE pasture farmer must have cut for hay (about 1/4 mile drive and 200 ft walk) that I can use so I can fly full 360 area instead of 180 area.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 03:14 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Very impressed by THawk Found 1C (900Mah) OK, Remember that that is a 60 minute charge and factory charger is 80 minutes. HORRORSTORY Was Charging an 8 cell made from Accipter Badius batteries soldered in series (9.6V 600Mah) on on Triton set to Auto with proper profile, and it broke 3 amps. I heard a bacon sizzling sound walking by and it was the battery was spitting Acid. Turns out many batteries have a strap running lengthwise between cells to place the last connection in pack next to the first so the battery harness has + and - terminals leaving at the same point. The extra current/Heat/Pressure melted the strap insulation and the can cover in another cell, causing a full intercellular short circuit, causing violent loss of battery. Lesson Learned=be patient nextime D
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Aug 14, 2005, 03:28 PM
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
I will do some research of posts here on charging. But am I understanding correctly that for the 950 mah I should only be charging at 1 amp? Also, guess I have been charging my 3300 8 cell GP's at 3 amp as that is the limit when using AC. But if I ever use DC, is it safe to charge 3300's at 5 amps too?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 03:47 PM
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
My wing got bent with a crease about third from tip (right at end of factory wood reinforcement). Is there a way to fix that? Right now it would probably bend or flex too much while flying. Can I tape a small piece of wood or something for reinforcement to at least use it a bit for newbie flying.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:26 PM
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
Sorry, I just have to give praise to Hawk's durability. Neighbor kid was biking by (about 12) when I was flying in pasture close by to my house. Was on 2nd pack and he really wanted to fly it so I took it high and gave him controls. Holy crap, before I blinked he had it in a straight dive to ground and hit from like 200 feet up at FULL throttle.

I thought the thing was toast, in put a hole in ground nose in. Hit so hard the engine was pushed in. Well after I got it home and pushed out body where engine mount sits and connected a loose wire between esc and motor, the motor and servos work fine. And put prop back on since it was thrown off.

Bottom line damage: replaced shattered tail, small crease in wing and broke the front holder for rubber bands so replace with wooden dowell.

Freaking amazing. I would guess that an intermediate plane would have a few bucks more in damage.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:51 PM
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
I have CA glue and have question when I replace rubber band holder with wood dowel. I have read to use epoxy. Any particular kind? Is it not safe to use thick CA with the plastic? Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:58 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Stick it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape105
I have CA glue and have question when I replace rubber band holder with wood dowel. I have read to use epoxy. Any particular kind? Is it not safe to use thick CA with the plastic? Thanks
5 Minute Epoxy is fine. You will be applying the epoxy to the outside of the fuselage, so be sure the plastic in that area is sanded down, or roughened up, to better adhear to the plastic. I use wood dowels on my T-Hawk.
If you make the dowels tight enought by dimension measurement, you won't need epoxy.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:10 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Have used both CA, epoxy and Gorilla Glue on Blow Molded Fuselage type Blow molded is construction like a gallon milk jug and thawk. I would use Epoxy. The wing is not approved for Non-Foam CA.
My GP3300 cells I have soldered for my Spectra Sailplane show a max charge rate of .3 (one third amp). This gives maximum capacity. however after a full charge I warm them up at 3+ amps to get high energy on initial launch. Remember that that gives higher volt for the first minute or two, and that the long chargegives it the time in minutes. rapidly charged batteries get high volts but dont fill up/capacity is deminished. A good point of NIMH is that it holds higher average volts until nearly down, then falls fast.
Now, I have bought tiny Carbon Rods from hobby shop, and made a spar. THey can be taped midline on bottom or epoxied to bottom at 4 to 6 points(not all the way as the wing wouldnt be allowed to flex) I run them one inch from the tip to the middle, and overlap the other one going to the opposite tip.
We had a bad flying hair day. Son augered thawk in, stripped servo. hope it is standard micro, havent looked yet.
Spectra select 600 motor opened up electrically on long run will have to order in another.
cant win them all

D
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas