SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2002, 09:09 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Rascal .40 size conversion and video

Well I flew it today, I thought I would start this post since I did some different things than pmmartin did on his, but many thanks for the motor mount idea and info.
I got around 12 minutes on 20 CP-1700's with throttle control of course I cant wait to try some 2000 NIMH cells.
As you can see the roll rate is a little slow, but looks good while doing it, knife edge is also no problem as you can see in the vid.

The thing is hard to stall, I had full up elevator and it just mushed along, It didnt want to drop a wingtip or anything.

It was a bad landing,.. all 8 of them... but mmm,,, the wind was blowing hard... yea thats it ... the wind was blowing hard....

I should have it at the Triad electric fly in this weekend.

The conversion pictures are here
http://www.freehomepages.com/hcues1/rascal.html

And the video is here.
http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/cue/index.html

If you get the too many users page, try again later as they have a bandwidth limit and it shuts down for 2 hours or so when reached.

Hint.. You can get the spiderman head at your local Hardees for 99 cents, they are sold as antenna toppers for your car
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Cue; May 01, 2002 at 09:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2002, 09:49 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Congratulations!

You did a great job. I like the pictures and the video is outstanding. It looks like it flies just as well as mine. I was flying mine again today but it looks like rain now until the weekend.

Tell about some of your other MaxCim projects.

I didn't think your landing looked too bad at all and you did taxi all the way back
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Last edited by pmmartin; May 01, 2002 at 09:57 PM.
Old May 01, 2002, 09:51 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Hay Cue;

I flew one of these this weekend for a guy. It flew a LOT better than my smaller Speed 400 one.

Anyway it was very hard to check the decent when landing. I tried a few landing approaches and finally settled on a VERY shallow glide, just flying it down. I didn't want to ding the new guys plane We checked the CG ( dead on the marks on the fuse ) , and he stated that the throws are as stated. It seemed fine in flight responce wise. I had another experienced guy fly it, and he had the same issue.

Does yours do this? My Sp400 one doesn't.

Just curious; thanks
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old May 01, 2002, 09:56 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Mine seems to want to keep flying, it glides well. My other landings were better after this flight . I have used a maxcim in a sig kadet senior before this and it flew well at 8 pounds with 20 2400's. I have also used one on a Blue max that hobby people sells, the big orange .40 size one.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2002, 09:28 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Nice. I might look into one of these. I got the SP 400 version, as I like the way it looked, but it is a bit twitchy....flies like a small airplane. go figure.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old May 02, 2002, 12:07 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
bad landings? must be that 20 cell pack.
I bet it flew better on glow
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old May 02, 2002, 12:27 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillH

Can't say as I haven't flown an electric .40 size one, but on glow it was climbing with authority at 1/2 throttle. All in all a VERY well mannored plane. My Speed 400 one wants to tip stall like crazy. I checked the CG, wing warps, etc. Don't get me wrong, it flies great, even thermaled it with some lift off the roof of the building at the field, it just has the potential to bite you in the *$$ if not carefull
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old May 02, 2002, 01:01 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillH
bad landings? must be that 20 cell pack.
Not again...
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old May 02, 2002, 05:36 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
is this a troll?
Old May 02, 2002, 06:40 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Actually it doesnt fly any better glow, I have seen one with a yz53 in it and didnt fly too much different.
I originally wanted to put a Saito 50 I had lying around on it, but it just ruins the looks on this plane, as the ugly muffler would stick out of the side.

Mine climbs under half throttle also. The landing wasnt really bad, I just said that cause it bounced a few times, had nothing to do with the battery pack, just that I wasnt used to the springiness of the landing gear, all other landings were perfect.

I could not get the thing to stall really, kept giving it up elevator untill I had full up and aboput 1/4 throttle and it just mushed along.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2002, 07:14 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Great job Cue ! Thanks for posting the video. I hope to see it fly at the Triad ( if this wind will ever stop blowing ).
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old May 02, 2002, 09:53 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Im not a troll, but your right, im asking for trouble saying that in an electric discussion board.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Last edited by BillH; May 02, 2002 at 09:59 PM.
Old May 03, 2002, 05:31 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
so what is the point of doing it then?
Old May 03, 2002, 12:42 PM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Cue,

Nice job on the video. Your landing was pretty nice, compared to my "rip off the gear" bounces. In defense of myself, it's an overloaded, over powered T-52!

I was impressed with the climbout also. Nice thrust.

I have a couple of CP-1700 10 cell packs, but configured as shown below. Would they fit?
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
Old May 03, 2002, 05:44 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
They wouldnt fit the way I did mine, I used 2 10 cell packs but they are end to end soldered so take up less space. You could reconfigure yours though
RCG Plus Member