HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:15 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,525 Posts
Discussion
So-Cal RC Riders GTGs (Get ToGethers)

Here's a new thread for us all to discuss getting together to run our bikes...

Commence....
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Last edited by Akura2; Jul 11, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:32 PM
Race Director:SV Speedway
Santa Clarita, CA
Joined Aug 2005
46 Posts
ya know, you guys are welcome to come out and practice anytime the track is open. check my web site for details as as the onroad track will be closed for major off-road races. Track membership is $40.00 per year, this will allow you to practice all day for $5.00. without membership the practice cost is $10.00. I'll be watching and waiting.

Bruce
p51gt is offline Find More Posts by p51gt
Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:52 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
I wouldn't mind running my bike there but never when 1/5 cars are running at the same time. These little scooters get broken up easily enough without being punted out of the track by a hard charging 1/5 car! lol...
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:00 PM
Joined Sep 2003
6,525 Posts
i wonder if the bikes are faster.... hmm

I've watched the 1/5 scale cars on the track...and this last weekend I watched the faster bikes on the track... and I think the bikes could give the cars a run for their money...

But I'll check the schedule and see when I can make it out to play around

and I have to tune my bike... it didn't run for crap at the race..and it ran fine two weeks prior
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:01 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,750 Posts
Right about that! It would be just like a 1/1 car vs. bike. The bikes wouldn't stand a chance out there in that crowd.

I did like the 1/5 cars though. If I ever did get into cars, 1/5 would be the scale, and only if they had an off-road rally course!!!!
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:02 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2
iand I have to tune my bike... it didn't run for crap at the race..and it ran fine two weeks prior
Obviously you didn't see the gremlins hanging around. They were there, trust me.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:08 PM
Joined Sep 2003
6,525 Posts
Oh.. I believe you... but I was wearing my talisman... I guess it didn't work...

once I got my bike sorted out right before the the mains.... I lost the clip from the main link to my chain...talk about Gremlins..

I've had that bike for more than three years and I've never lost the clip before
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:45 PM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycbr123
If I ever did get into cars, 1/5 would be the scale, and only if they had an off-road rally course!!!!
I'd be right beside (probably behind you) steve. Got to say building a 1/5th scale rally or Paris Dakar type would be awesome.

chris

I always thought molly was the name of your wife, or perhaps Cbr...
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
Old Aug 13, 2005, 08:19 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
587 Posts
Hey guys check out FG They do have 1/5 ralley/Dakar trucks and buggies Ice Got a 1/5 FG marder buggy and it's the funest R/C anything I've ever driven.
motorbikemike is offline Find More Posts by motorbikemike
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2003
6,525 Posts
I know this is pushing this conversation further off topic... but I almost got into 1/5 scale cars but I didn't have anywhere to run one.... until I found SV.. but by them I already pushed myself past my quota for RC vehcles in my collection..... but 1/5 scale cars (once you get past the initial cost) are very economical to run... they run on regular pump gas (mixed with 2-cycle oil) which even in CA, is still less than 2.70/gallon versus nitro fuel at $21/gallon... they run forever on one tank... you don't have to worry about glow plugs (a single spark plug lasts forever)... they are easier to start (usually one or two pulls then the spark plug/alternator takes over)... and if you spend the dough... you can get all the neat toys such as hydraulic front disc brakes and such....

and they sound cool...
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:27 PM
Santa Clarita, CA
Joined Aug 2005
46 Posts
hey all,
when you come out for the club races we will have special test/practice sessions for the bikes. Car + Bike=

bruce
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:52 PM
Santa Clarita, CA
Joined Aug 2005
46 Posts
[QUOTE=Akura2]i wonder if the bikes are faster.... hmm

I've watched the 1/5 scale cars on the track...and this last weekend I watched the faster bikes on the track... and I think the bikes could give the cars a run for their money...QUOTE]

just a bit of info for you all, John Veal's best lap time for qualifying was 35.7.
During the last race Eric Poholsky's best lap time was 23.9....gota say he designed the track and practices almost every day. . He is the one that you saw running his 5th scale. The 8th scale cars are even faster.

bruce
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:38 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,750 Posts
[QUOTE=p51gt]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2
i wonder if the bikes are faster.... hmm

I've watched the 1/5 scale cars on the track...and this last weekend I watched the faster bikes on the track... and I think the bikes could give the cars a run for their money...QUOTE]

just a bit of info for you all, John Veal's best lap time for qualifying was 35.7.
During the last race Eric Poholsky's best lap time was 23.9....gota say he designed the track and practices almost every day. . He is the one that you saw running his 5th scale. The 8th scale cars are even faster.

bruce
Even full scale bikes turn slower lap times than cars. There was an article in one of the motorcycle mags maybe last year, where Valentino Rossi and one of the Formula 1 drivers (don't remember who) ran laps. The car was always much faster. Then they swapped rides for some bashing!!! That Rossi has all the fun!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:34 AM
Joined Sep 2003
6,525 Posts
I knew the cars would be faster..., they don't have to slow as much in the turns... but it was a fun thought playing devil's advocate...

I wish I had th cashish to plunk down on one of those full blown 1/5 cars though....

$120 for a lexan body for those... you'd better not mess up the paint job
Old Aug 14, 2005, 01:41 AM
Santa Clarita, CA
Joined Aug 2005
46 Posts
[QUOTE=mollycbr123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51gt

Even full scale bikes turn slower lap times than cars. There was an article in one of the motorcycle mags maybe last year, where Valentino Rossi and one of the Formula 1 drivers (don't remember who) ran laps. The car was always much faster. Then they swapped rides for some bashing!!! That Rossi has all the fun!
Yeh, I know real cars are faster than bikes. I'm sure with some track time and some tweaks, the lap times will come down quite a bit.

I do think everybody that raced the bike race did a great job for never being on a purpose built track...well there was a few that have. Good job all

later
Bruce