Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2005
7 Posts
Great Planes Flatout's beginner plane?

Hi-
This is my first post. I'm looking at the Great Planes flatout brushless park flyer with a futaba computer 4 channel radio. Right off, I know this is a 3d plane with larger control surfaces, but what I was wondering if you "de-tune" the controls with a computer radio and have a friend with a trainer cord, would you think it could become a first trainer? Then I would be able to grow into the 3d stuff without larger expenses later, also are the planes fairly robust to crashes since they are so light? I have looked into the Easy Star, but with all the hardware the price gets out of control for me right now. I have also looked at the RTF models, but I think it is limiting if you grow into the hobby.
Thanks for any input..

Brent
brents37chev is offline Find More Posts by brents37chev
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:43 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
The 3d planes are pretty much all mild flyers when you use them with moderate throws. They are not good trainers however and getting to the 3d level of flying can take quite some time. All people are not equal on the sticks though and there are fast learners.

My suggestion goes toward a regular plane with trainer characteristics and wisely choosen radio and motor set-up. When you feel ready, it will cost you only $40 to get a 3d plane into which you will be able to move all your existing equipment.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Aug 13, 2005, 05:05 PM
Joined Apr 2004
776 Posts
Not a good beginer plane.
WolfeWind is offline Find More Posts by WolfeWind
Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:46 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,584 Posts
I've seen experienced flyers having trouble handling the Flatouts. it's not a good beginner plane.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2005
7 Posts
Thanks for the input, what would everyone suggest as a beginner plane that is in arena/size of the 3d park flyers, I would like to go brushless, buy one computer radio and servos that would last me for awhile...

Thanks,
Brent
Old Aug 14, 2005, 01:11 AM
Resistered Loser
United States, IL, Paris
Joined Jul 2005
308 Posts
Maybe check out the AP forum for a good brushless slow stick mod??
bicmedic is offline Find More Posts by bicmedic
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:19 AM
Southern MA. USA
Joined Jan 2003
623 Posts
Slow Stick, out of the box, buy two, at $35 each it's an excellent starter plane, build and fly one, use the second as a complete parts kit.
Moe M. is offline Find More Posts by Moe M.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:44 AM
Hey ya'll, watch this!
Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
The slowstick sounds good, make sure to buy a lot of extra propellers

Paul
War Bird 22 is offline Find More Posts by War Bird 22
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:27 AM
Southern MA. USA
Joined Jan 2003
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Bird 22
The slowstick sounds good, make sure to buy a lot of extra propellers

Paul
Hey Paul,

It's almost impossible to break a SS prop unless the CG is off a little, I as well as some of the others that fly them I my area have remarked about that before, If the CG is set up right on the SS it will generally ROG in about three feet of roll out and it lands like a kite, if you set up your glide into the wind and cut the power it comes down slow and easy, add a little flare on touch down and the prop is way off the ground.

Now I take that back if you come in hot on high grass, then a second prop is handy to have...Grin..
Moe M. is offline Find More Posts by Moe M.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Moe, I would have to disagree with you there, as I have broken more props than I can count on my SS. Of course, some of the breakage was caused by obstacles mysteriously appearing in my flight path, such as my parked van . I have broken them mainly on windy days when trying to land, and suddenly lose my lift ( the wind dies)and the plane stalls then noses over into the ground.
My CG is as good as perfect I feel. I can fly straight and level with no control input as long as the wind doesn't get up.
I guess the broken props probably say more about my piloting skills than the plane's flight capability, but I also believe it wouldn't hurt to keep a few handy
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Aug 14, 2005, 04:27 PM
Hey ya'll, watch this!
Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
For a begginer pilot, extra propellers can't hurt.
I broke my last propeller 2 days ago, so I am waiting for my 12 new ones to come in the mail. I just went outside, after I readjusted my CG, now it glides great, no forward thrust right now other than wind, but it lands level now,we will see what happens when I get my propellers.
Thanks for the help,
Paul
War Bird 22 is offline Find More Posts by War Bird 22
Old Aug 14, 2005, 07:39 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
The Flatout 3D or ANY 3D plane for that matter are very poor choices for the beginning pilot. Extremely sensitive to control inputs and many of the 2mm flat foam models are as fragile as glass (OK, almost). You would be luckly to have it survive it's first flight.

The Easy Star ARF is only about $10-$15 more and MUCH more durable in the hands of a beginner. There are also other ARF foam planes that would be a much better choice for the first time flyer.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2005
7 Posts
OK, Thanks for all the advice.. I was looking at the Easy Star and was coming up to the conclusion the price was getting out of hand when starting from scratch. The RTF Easy star is not the way I want to go... It limits you right off the bat if you get into the hobby . You need to buy all over again if you want a better system.

I will need to re-evaluate and maybe save alittle more money..
Thanks,
Brent
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:08 PM
Columbia Regional, Missouri, United States
Joined Dec 2002
726 Posts
A Fantistact Idea!

How about a cheep GWS prop saver???

WORKS FOR ME.....
PHIL I.
phil I. is offline Find More Posts by phil I.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 08:18 PM
Japan, Mie Prefecture, Ise
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
Brent, also if you are going the RTF route, don't forget the "extras". Electrics do tend to come with chargers, but generally the overnight kind which is hard to live with if it is the only one you have. Remember you'll only get, say, 10-15 minutes of flight on a pack. So you'll probably want to get an extra pack or 2, and perhaps a quick charger too. If you are going the gas RTF route, well you'll need fuel, batteries etc.

If you can provide additional info on what you want to do ultimately and budget, it will probably help get you started in the right direction.
sfsjkid is offline Find More Posts by sfsjkid