Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:26 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Squirt or Twist-O-Flex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMDES
...Out of curiousity, if you had to pick a ship, would you go for the Squirt, or the Twist-o-Flex? I'd like to get some sort of concensis before I commit to doing new drawings...
OOH, cool - a choice between two fun toys. OK, I'll bite

WELL, I would have to say the Twist-O-Flex would be my choice. If I did my metric conversions correctly it looks like this one has a span of about 50" AND it's a wingeron/pitcheron plane. This sounds fun to me for three reasons...

1) I've heard many people talk highly of Harris's Shrike (now being manufactured and marketed by SkyKing RC)

2) Brian Courtice has just finished a cool new pitcheron plane that he's testing out. The pics look really cool.

3) A buddy of mine and I were in San Diego three years ago -- flying at Carlsbad. A guy was flying a small pitcheron plane there (something like MHLG class - 30" span), and that thing was SWEET! My buddy liked it so much, he bought it form the guy and flew it for the next couple of years. In the right conditions, that sort of plane is totally fun

My two cents ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,126 Posts
If I knew what either one looked like Id give you my nickels worth on purely looks. Any pics?

Tony
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:50 PM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
Squirt and Twist-o-flex links

Squirt http://www.kjmdesign.com/kjm_m04_squirt.htm

Twist-o-flex http://www.kjmdesign.com/kjm_m04_twist.htm

Hey John,
Did you get your Vulcans?
KJMDES is offline Find More Posts by KJMDES
Old Aug 17, 2005, 09:50 AM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,837 Posts
Jim Pouty is continuing both models, the OFD and the BAe Hawk. I have a ton of interesting designs for both slope and thermal sailplanes, but my health conditions only let me spend about 3-5 hours a day doing anything of any importance, so housework, dishes and laundry have to take priority.

If I'm lucky, I can spend a total of 10 hours a week modeling. Mostly though, I get and stay caught up with the hobby through RCSE and RCG. I still like discussing the finer arts of thermal flying, pattern flying, composite work and general design issues.

A note to you guys with good health, it's true that if you have your health, you have everything! I'm only 46 and you'd think I'm an OLD man with the meds I have to take and huge amount of sleep I need every night! If you have an idea of a custom plane, DO IT!!! I'd love to be able to spend my evenings after work (yes I still wish I could work. I don't think GOD meant for man and women to spend 24 hours every day together!) working on sailplanes and giant scale power planes, but it ain't going to happen for me any longer. For those of you who can cherish it. It goes by waaaaaaay too quickly. gv
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:10 AM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,126 Posts
Both planes look nice! But my vote is for the Twist-o-flex!
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:19 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Vulcans

Quote:
Hey John,
Did you get your Vulcans?
Oh yes!

Thanks for those, Kevin. Its' always nice to see some beautiful photos of Avro Vulcans.

As a matter of fact, I took my daughter on a college visit last Spring -- to Cal Poly Pomona. On the way back, we were trying to find UC Merced, and drove past Castle AFB, and guess what was parked right out front - AMAZING!

I was so jazzed cuz I was working on my Avro Vulcan PSS plane at that time. I took a few pics, but they are not as nice as the ones you took. UK seems to have all of their runways surrounded by nicely manicured lawns

Happy Flying ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Aug 17, 2005, 05:31 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
How do I get a Super Talon EP ?
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Aug 17, 2005, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
Hi All,
I am starting to get quite a few requests for the Super Talon
( http://www.kjmdesign.com/kjm_m04_stalon.htm ) and wanted to post a request of my own.

The best way to get this ship into production is to email Kevin Burner at Hobbico, the people who own Dynaflite.

If you email him at kburner@hobbico.com
Put "Please produce the Super Talon" in the subject line, something might happen. To be honest, there really isn't much I can do at this point. You know the story, small market, little interest. Does not look that way from my side. What can I say, you've got the ball. I just design them.

Cheers,
Kevin J. McDonald
Old Aug 17, 2005, 09:26 PM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
From the Lake

Brewster,
Staying at an old friends place at the lake. This is a view to Torbole were I spend most of my time. For you slopers, behind me is Monti Baldo, 3,000 meters of lift.

Remember Bud from Maui? He's kicken back.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 09:57 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,161 Posts
Talon History

Same ol Kevy..... good to hear from you again.
Since the title of this thread mentions history, here's my contribution.

This is one of the proto LR50s ( Talon ) Glass fuse / foam wing with balsa sheeting / full flying V Tail - did a lot of laps a Sunset beach and Davenport. I pulled it down from the rafters tonight and cleaned up all the dust and bug poop. This hasn't flown in maybe 15 years, and still has the old Futaba AM radio gear in it.
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
Last edited by blewis01; Aug 17, 2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:23 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,161 Posts
More History Stuff

Here is one of my favorites - I wanted a heavy air ship, and I had these molds laying around and a foam wing cutter, and some grey primer.....

LR50 fuse, Selig airfoil ( 6060? ) vacuum bagged glass wing, fixed V Tail - needs a bit more wind, and really hauls butt. Also hasn't flown for many many years.
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
Talon History

Bellissima!
It is so good to see those birds. We had some fun eh?

Hey, wait a minute.....wudda ya mean, same old Kevy?

Allora, here are some other pics......

The stuffed (but only slightly dead) Filip 400 is in Scotland. This is my Hemmingway (look what I bagged today) shot.

Oh yeah. For those that don't recognize the Filip, it has been chopped and channeled for a suitcase. 14cm shorter in fuse length and 24cm shorter span. Tried to get a bigger case, but........

Cheers,
Kev
Last edited by KJMDES; Aug 18, 2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 01:22 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
I vote for the Twist-O-Flex, that thing looks awesome!

-Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Old Aug 19, 2005, 07:19 AM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
Twist-o-flex

The verdict is in and the Twist-O-Flex is the hands-down winner.
Thanks everyone

I am now in communication with a manufacturer and with luck, the ship will be available early next year.

Thanks again

Cheers,
Kevin
Old Aug 19, 2005, 08:47 AM
Can you spot the giraffe?
Glasgow, Scotland
Joined Jun 2005
832 Posts
Quote:
Bellissima!
The stuffed (but only slightly dead) Filip 400 is in Scotland. This is my Hemmingway (look what I bagged today) shot.

Cheers,
Kev
Where in Scotland? Anywhere near me (Glasgow)?

David
daleksw is offline Find More Posts by daleksw