HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:14 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Here's a couple of pix of the tail... note that I used Nelson Litefilm to cover the tail and it hasn't withstood the rocket blast very well. I covered the section where it melted off with some clear packing tap and it has worked well.

Greg in Minneapolis
gstew is offline Find More Posts by gstew
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2005, 01:35 PM
Joined Aug 2002
108 Posts
I too love RCRG - I fly my Stratoblaster at my RC club all the time. I fly it on a D12 to a plugged E9 "chad" stage style, out of the Phoenix head on a Manis pad. Here are some photos - I also have a Phoenix (glad AT is producing reloads again), a HobbyLabb SR-71, a 'Cude in box, a Kingberg in box, a AstroBlaster in Box, and a SweetVee in box. I'm glad it's getting to be building season again!
rocketguy is offline Find More Posts by rocketguy
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:49 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Nice. Looks like you're having fun there!

I did the CHAD staging on the C6 practice ship shown above once (actually, one of the Juniors I let fly it at NARAM did it), but the staging burnt some tiny holes in the covering on the wing, so I haven't tried it again.

Later!

Greg in Minneapolis
Old May 05, 2006, 07:30 PM
Joined Jan 2006
40 Posts
Bumping an old thread...

I've got the RC Boost/Rocket Glider bug bad. I've flown an Edmunds Arcie II -- great fun!

Now on to bigger and better. There is a very interesting looking kit called a Delta Star: http://www.randrmodelaircraft.com/Delta%20Star.htm

And Caveman Rocketry has two pages full of kits, plan packs and wing sets: http://www.cavemanrocketry.nl/webst...h=32_60&sort=2a

Has anyone seen or flown any of these kits? Any recommendations? (I'm a NAR L2 rocketeer, and a new R/C flyer, reasonably competent on a brushless-powered Space Scooter foamy.)

Thanks all!
CraigBos is offline Find More Posts by CraigBos
Old May 05, 2006, 10:57 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
If you're a fairly new R/C flyer, that Caveman Sweet V would be right up your alley.

I caught a link to the Caveman site a couple days ago... and seeing they had sheeted Phoenix wings reminded me of the two sets I have in the basement that aren't going to get sheeted soon the way I'm going. I'm interested in getting a set or two from Caveman... anyone else in the US interested in an order from them and splitting shipping (which won't be cheap!)?

Greg in Minneapolis
Old May 06, 2006, 10:44 AM
RC Nut!
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
Quote:
And Caveman Rocketry has two pages full of kits, plan packs and wing sets:
That is all I need. Another place to spend my cash!

Good find.

John Fruge
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Old May 08, 2006, 03:59 PM
South Jersey
Joined Aug 2005
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBos
Bumping an old thread...

I've got the RC Boost/Rocket Glider bug bad. I've flown an Edmunds Arcie II -- great fun!

Now on to bigger and better. There is a very interesting looking kit called a Delta Star: http://www.randrmodelaircraft.com/Delta%20Star.htm

And Caveman Rocketry has two pages full of kits, plan packs and wing sets: http://www.cavemanrocketry.nl/webst...h=32_60&sort=2a

Has anyone seen or flown any of these kits? Any recommendations? (I'm a NAR L2 rocketeer, and a new R/C flyer, reasonably competent on a brushless-powered Space Scooter foamy.)

Thanks all!
I would be careful about ordering from Caveman Rocketry. I ordered
some wings sets from them and never received them. I sent email after
email, first the replies were they were delayed, then later, no
replies, finally after more then 8 months, he replied saying he ship
them 6 months ago, but couldn't do anything about it now, leaving me
high and dry.

I wouldn't order from them again or ever recommend them.

Bruce Canino
CaninoBD is offline Find More Posts by CaninoBD
Old May 08, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
I still contend one could put together a pretty good RCRG (probably better than the Sweet V) from either an Art Hobby kit or parts/pieces from Art Hobby....

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old May 13, 2006, 11:23 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Bruce, thanks for the heads up on Caveman.

Ryan, you know I totally agree with you on using an Art's Hobby model as the basis for a Q&D RCRG/BG... The Colibri and Bobolink wings are good sizes for a C-D model, the Zuni for a D-E model.

And I just saw a new model that looks convertable... the Blue Arrow Angel, info on it here:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...04&pid=BA06101

There's also info on it here:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=19635

but the interesting thing is that the two listings are different sizes... the on in the UK is a bit bigger, appropriate for a C-D sized ship, while the USA one is smaller and appropriate to a B-C sized ship.

If they have them in stock, I'll order one on Monday and report what I see.

Greg in Minneapolis
Old May 14, 2006, 02:35 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
hey guys,I have posted all my threads in jet pusher prop forums,so I'm new here.
This is what I'm up to,I'm building the Bell X-2" build thread here" go to pusher prop jet models" Bell X-2 rocket plane. it is a pusher prop,but I would like to have it rocket powered aswell.
If you look at the 3-views you can see there are two rockets under the wings.
First off I need to vectore the thrust, the thrust needs to push through the CG,any ideas?
Next do I let the rockets eject out of rocket tubes?or do I eject the rocket pods in one piece,or do I let the whole mess stay on and vent the gases?
Does anyone know if this will work vectoring the thrust?and what effect it will have on the CG?
help!!
Anthony
cdebaca is offline Find More Posts by cdebaca
Last edited by cdebaca; May 14, 2006 at 03:07 AM.
Old May 14, 2006, 09:27 AM
Joined Aug 2002
108 Posts
Check this link - George Gassaway's Bell X-1 powered by 32MM Aerotech RC motor
http://members.aol.com/gcgassaway/X1.htm
rocketguy is offline Find More Posts by rocketguy
Old May 14, 2006, 02:14 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Thanks rocketguy,Ive seen this bird however the thrust line of the X-2 is diff, dont think I will be needing the water tank.
The X-2 will also have a brushless pusher motor out back.
Im trying to keep it simple so I will be useing D size motors off the shelf.
AC'
Old May 14, 2006, 06:17 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
910 Posts
cdebaca

Having the motors under the wing as shown in the diagrams will cause a pitch up moment that may not be controllable. Vectoring the exhaust is not as simple as that sounds. The blow torch effect of the exhaust will cut through soup can metal in a split second. You'll need high tech graphite deflectors which will need to be custom made. If the rockets are to be used just for launch you might be able to compensate for the boost phase but you'd better have a folding prop out back for the above reasons.

A better solution would have been to put the electric in front with the rockets in the tail. Or seeing how far along the plane is [nice job by the way!] do something slightly unscale and mount them to either side of the fuze above the wing. Call it a "what if" configuration.

If you go ahead with one or the other please note that ejecting the motors athough doable may require that a streamer or recovery device is used if you fly at a sanctioned club. Whether they stay aboard or eject depends on their relationship to the CG. At the CG they will have no effect on flight trim after burnout. In front of the CG as the motor burns the CG will move backward and if behind then it will move forward by the amount of burned propellant lost times the distance from the CG. If they eject then add the weight of the motor case to the above. You must maintain flying trim before, during and after the burn.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old May 14, 2006, 09:57 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Hey thanks Richard ,good to hear from you! Yea there is no way I'm going to put the motor out front that would kill the look.So what your saying is that to make this work I must vector the thrust?this was my line of thinking,what if I pitch the motors upward through the fuse in the 17.5 angle I need?and just leave dumby motors under the wing,and let them eject out the back?or vent.I would like to eject them to rid the weight for the the flight.What say you?
Anthony
Old May 15, 2006, 12:54 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
910 Posts
Yes that should work Anthony. There may be some pitching as the thrustline CG and CP/AC may not all be in the same line but it should be much less.

Considerations:
The thrust line for the motor should pass through the 3D CG for that to work well but I think you know that.

If the rocket motor is on the CG[3D] then there will be little change in trim so the motor may need to be buried in the fuze. If the nozzle is in the motor mount tube by more than 1/2 a diameter [IIRC] you may run into the dreaded KRUSHNIK effect. Well not actually Krushnik but the exhaust gasses will swirl inside the tube and cause damage.

If the motor is away from the CG well good luck! It probablily can be done but you will need to work out some means of adjusting for CG shift as the motor burns/ejects. Thats what Gassaway's water tank did.

The foam of the fuze will need to be protected with metal tape in the immediate area of the rocket exhaust, which will also melt your prop if its near the propeller arc. [So use a folder!]

For air start use only one rocket motor to save on weight and complexity. If you decide to keep the rocket motor onboard then use D11P or E9Ps which are plugged and do not vent. If it is to be launched from the ground then it may need 2 rocket motors to get enough thrust. Or if the prop is not in any danger then one D11 and a Mega 4T +6x3 should do the job provided a launcher can be made that will handle a spinning prop.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian