HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimumWage View Post
I did take an iphone video of Ari's flight that can be viewed here. Best in 720p.Mike Mc.
Not a bad vid. Good thing that was not his cert flight, dorking the spectator area the RSO may have deemed it an improper/failed recovery. I've had a few of those. H 54 hmmm, my delta is about that size but made for D&E motors. Bagged with a stout Fg skin...Hmmm.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Shouldn't have if it was an NAR cert.
Sure it should, from the very page you referenced.

Quote:
recovery device that actively changes the physical configuration and dramatically reduces the vertical descent rate of the rocket model when deployed.
Moving the elevons from the neutral or trail position to the glide configuration meets this criterion.

X30
X30PILOT is online now Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:36 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT View Post

Moving the elevons from the neutral or trail position to the glide configuration meets this criterion.

X30
Jack is a member of both NAR and TRA, but he's TRA at heart. And TCC is a TRA club. With NAR, your kink is OK, but TRA really wants to focus on 3FNCs--albeit very large ones. So yes, I had to show Jack the sentence in NAR rules that kj is quoting, and a video of it flying, and on and on. What finally convinced him was my saying that it's just like an Estes Skydart, but with electronic deployment instead of motor eject. Then it was OK :=)

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Last edited by iter; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:42 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
Not a bad vid. Good thing that was not his cert flight, dorking the spectator area the RSO may have deemed it an improper/failed recovery. I've had a few of those. H 54 hmmm, my delta is about that size but made for D&E motors. Bagged with a stout Fg skin...Hmmm.

Richard
Yes. The choice is between jokes about landing closer and complaints about landing on top of people. My new Vulcan mantra is "land long and prosper."

For your delta, I encourage you to sim the max airspeed on a large motor before you fly it. A smaller, lighter, less draggy model may exceed both structural limits and a pilot's skill. My previous design, a 2' delta, simmed to 600 mph on H54. I doubt I can handle that even if the foam can. These motors pack a lot of energy.

Ari.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:29 AM
SPOOOOOOON!
Joined Oct 2006
326 Posts
Quote:
X30
You misunderstood. Shouldn't have taken any convincing of the RSO.

Ari has it right- the TRA guys seem to be big rocket focused.

kj
kmj73us is offline Find More Posts by kmj73us
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:48 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj73us View Post
You misunderstood. Shouldn't have taken any convincing of the RSO.
I think this whole conversation boils down to the fact that there are many things in life (and some things in rockets) that shouldn't take any time to convince a person of but frequently do.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:46 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Right? I show Jack the video of Vulcan's first flight (the one in post 543, with on-board cameras, where you can see control surfaces move) and his response is, "I saw the video, but I didn't see anything deploy."

Ari.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:46 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Finished up the upscale of my ALCM this morning, 30 oz rtf with F-16, F-23 or F-26FJ...
Compared to scale the wing position is moved back and chord increased relative to the test A models, and inlet is profile to reduce drag, body is 6mm spine with lightening holes and formers with 3mm depron sheeting.

Markings are trim monokote I cut to fit, plus some vinyl letters and some sig stars/bars.

KF airfoil, 60" long, 32mm motor mount.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A few Rocket glider shots.....
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Aug 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Finished up the upscale of my ALCM this morning,
Very nice! Are you planning on building a wood or fiberglass version of this or are you going to stick with Depron?

X30
X30PILOT is online now Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:13 AM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj View Post
KF airfoil, 60" long, 32mm motor mount.Frank

It looks like the kf step is on the bottom. Is it? Any advantage to that?

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:19 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
I'm happy with the light weight of depron, ease and speed of building and finishing, and really gentle flight qualities and low cost flights, I'll leave the heavy stuff to you for now

If I could devise a scissor wing pivot that was strong and light I might try that..i think that would be stronger than swing wings..would have to be able to deploy reliably at high speed for a worst case launch profile..however since I'm already just using the tail for control the wing can be simple. It would also mean I could potentially optimize boost and glide cg at the same point and reduce nose weight and/or glide trim. I would lose the wing sweep with scissor wing though.

As for the kf, tests seemed to indicate there wasn't much difference top or bottom contrary to what u might think. Really I used it because I wanted a doubler and it allowed me to hide the spar in the step and get some airfoil advantage without cutting ribs or doing folding or sheeting.

Quote:
Very nice! Are you planning on building a wood or fiberglass version of this or are you going to stick with Depron?

X30
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:47 AM
SPOOOOOOON!
Joined Oct 2006
326 Posts
I've got a project on the back burner for a full fuse depron F-111 with swing wings using the 32mm RMS. There have been lots of good solutions to the swing mechanism that have been worked out by the foamy jet guys.

kj
kmj73us is offline Find More Posts by kmj73us
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Thanks KJ, I knew there have been a few, I just need to do my research now and look at them...I don't know whether there will be much advantage in boost height simply because the fuse is pretty fat anyway, it will just be more from a coolness factor..the tradeoff in weight in the extra HD servo and swing mechanism will probably counter the drag reduction but we'll see.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj73us View Post
I've got a project on the back burner for a full fuse depron F-111 with swing wings using the 32mm RMS. There have been lots of good solutions to the swing mechanism that have been worked out by the foamy jet guys.

kj
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:31 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Swinging the wings is an effective way to shift CG back relative to MAC, if you have CG shift issues.

Ari.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:07 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
I think my problem of trying to do this on the A model alcm is that I've already moved the wings back a bit for CG reasons, so if they swing at the current length, they will stick behind the model, if I move them back further to take advantage of the CG I can use with wings folded for boost, it would be worse.

I'm not trying to swing the wings relative to MAC, just make it more scale in action.
But I know what you are getting at.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iter View Post
Swinging the wings is an effective way to shift CG back relative to MAC, if you have CG shift issues.

Ari.
RCG Plus Member