HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:55 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
they also now have a steady cam enhancement for uploads, so if your handheld camshot looks a pack of weasels was attacking Micheal J Fox, it can smooth it out.

I will say though.. it kinda adds a.... dreamyness to the video after words if there was a lot of shake.

I uploaded a video of one of the sailboat clubs races and applied the filter... I wont post it here because it's off topic, but you can find it under my channel if you look up Beergnome
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:25 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Here's another video of the same delta on a different day. I stripped a servo on that flight.

SkyDart Mk4 SCCMAS 2012-07-10 (0 min 27 sec)
iter is online now Find More Posts by iter
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
And here's my latest model, this one a kit:

Ecee Thunder Rocket Glider SCCMAS 2012-08-19 (2 min 45 sec)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:35 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
that usually happens when one uses an Iphone to record video. The phone knows its magnetic orrientation and will record the video as such. most other devices default to horizontal.
That's exactly right. One of the club members is kind enough to shoot the video with my iPhone, and I'm grateful for his help even if I personally may choose a different view angle. I did crop the video some on the more horizontal segments of the flight, to get more of the detail that otherwise disappears into low resolution.

Ari.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:29 AM
Buellton, CA
Joined Dec 2008
140 Posts
Nice flights on the ECEE Thunder. Looks like a real floaty model - at least as far as rocket gliders go!

Mike
MinimumWage is offline Find More Posts by MinimumWage
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:32 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
It slows down pretty good, but has very little penetration. On an E9, all it can do is come back for a landing. On a D12, it can't even do that--I have to land straight ahead. It's OK though--I use up about only 1/3 of the runway at our field! That's how poorly it penetrates.

Ari.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:43 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
908 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys.

VVS LOL I just find it such a waste to have the subject rocket with huge blank spaces to either side.

StraItup or someone did a conversion on the ECEE Thunder a while back. Poorly penetrates equals flies like a brick at least compared to a S8, though I'd love to have one just for fun anyways. Or the Estes variant, AstroB...? I got a thing for canards.

Richard

Ps. Cesaroni now makes 24mm Fs and G motors. hint,hint. ;P
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Last edited by The Tellurian; Aug 23, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:03 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
Ps. Cesaroni now makes 24mm Fs and G motors. hint,hint. ;P
Well, the original kit has a full 24" 24mm tube running up the length of the fuselage. I cut mine to 2.5" and put servos right in front of it, but if you put servos further up front, you can use the 6-grain (9") G65. Get some video--I'd like to see the fireworks. On a slightly saner note, a 3-grain (5 1/4") F30 might actually be survivable.

Ari.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:26 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj73us View Post
Here are some photos of the S8E contest at the Great Lakes Cup held outside of Chicago last weekend.
There were 13 pilots, and a wide range of models, from older Cuda/Stingray ships to Raven style planes and even a few converted modern DLG models. We had 2 flight groups and lots of space for the landing area (which I wish I had taken a photo or two of after laying it out). I think this is now the largest turnout for an S8E event in the US.

kj
I would love to get into S8E, but have a question: Where do you get info on the sport? Is there an association or anything?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I would love to get into S8E, but have a question: Where do you get info on the sport? Is there an association or anything?
There are typically 1 or 2 S8E contests in America each year. The team selection at NARAM in odd years. Next year's will be in the Cleveland area late July. For that one you need to be a NAR member. And then there is a World Cup at least once per year and there is a chance there will be 2 World Cups per year at some point. World Cups have been in the DC area in the fall in odd years and Chicago area in the summer in even years. For World Cups you need to be an AMA member and have a FAI stamp.

There is talk of Texas, Arizona, and other areas doing world cups too.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
SPOOOOOOON!
Joined Oct 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
S8E is an FAI contest event, so the rules about model dimensions and weights and the flight task are all here: http://www.fai.org/component/phocado...c4volsmspace12

The basics are: "E" class motor, 300 gram weight limit, Minimum wing span 1100mm, must launch vertically (within 30 degrees). You try and fly for exactly 6 minutes, and at the end of that land close to a spot on the ground.

You see a lot of foam core bagged wings here, but you can do a more traditional balsa framework wing. There's a big crosswalk between the DLG stuff and the RCRG's we've been flying in the US. You can get your feet wet in RCRG by converting a DLG with a motor pod and a different tail. There's even a thread here about doing that.

Contests are pretty few and far between as Ryan posted. One idea that was brought up to me was to scale things down. You can build a fly a B or C powered RCRG these days with the small vapor bricks and even the orange micro servos and rx from HobbyKing. An S8B contest with a 4 min task would be tough but doable.

kj
kmj73us is offline Find More Posts by kmj73us
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
There are typically 1 or 2 S8E contests in America each year. The team selection at NARAM in odd years. Next year's will be in the Cleveland area late July. For that one you need to be a NAR member. And then there is a World Cup at least once per year and there is a chance there will be 2 World Cups per year at some point. World Cups have been in the DC area in the fall in odd years and Chicago area in the summer in even years. For World Cups you need to be an AMA member and have a FAI stamp.

There is talk of Texas, Arizona, and other areas doing world cups too.

Ryan
Thanks. I've seen the S8 models on sale on eBay as relics, but is there a book, magazine or online plans to build them?

NAR #22897 L1
TRA #4898 L1
AMA #952713
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,231 Posts
What construction methods do you want to work with? ARF? Cloth skin bag your own wings? Balsa skin bag your own wings?

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Sep 2005
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj73us View Post
S8E is an FAI contest event, so the rules about model dimensions and weights and the flight task are all here: http://www.fai.org/component/phocado...c4volsmspace12

The basics are: "E" class motor, 300 gram weight limit, Minimum wing span 1100mm, must launch vertically (within 30 degrees). You try and fly for exactly 6 minutes, and at the end of that land close to a spot on the ground.

You see a lot of foam core bagged wings here, but you can do a more traditional balsa framework wing. There's a big crosswalk between the DLG stuff and the RCRG's we've been flying in the US. You can get your feet wet in RCRG by converting a DLG with a motor pod and a different tail. There's even a thread here about doing that.

Contests are pretty few and far between as Ryan posted. One idea that was brought up to me was to scale things down. You can build a fly a B or C powered RCRG these days with the small vapor bricks and even the orange micro servos and rx from HobbyKing. An S8B contest with a 4 min task would be tough but doable.

kj
Where did you get the physical equirements for the S8E RG? Do you know the thread for converting DLG to S8E?
clipper is offline Find More Posts by clipper
Last edited by clipper; Sep 03, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:44 AM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
Where did you get the physical equirements for the S8E RG?
They are in the FAI document kj linked to, section 11.

Quote:
Do you know the thread for converting DLG to S8E?
Search this forum for 'gstew' He did a conversion on an Art hobby DLG. there are other threads also.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian