SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:51 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,465 Posts
Several people have done complete ET and boosters and shuttle with RC return, with varying degrees of complexity and success. I haven't really thought about doing that, too many other different things I'm working on, maybe in the future!

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2008
149 Posts
I'm in the process of making a shuttle with detachable boosters, BUT, it's for the simulator. It has take-off issues which I hope to iron out, but I'm keeping in mind Realflight was never intended to operate in such a way. The split dual purpose rudder/airbrake design also doesn't work correctly in the physics.

I'm aware of the shading issues too, but it's not done yet.

Anyhow, I would love to create one of these in real life. If you search for UHS Space Shuttle, you'll find a nice large scale model rocket space shuttle with boosters and working launch pad even. There are a few videos on youtube of it. You might be able to get plans from the guy who made it--maybe.
mwilson914 is offline Find More Posts by mwilson914
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:46 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson914 View Post
I'm in the process of making a shuttle with detachable boosters, BUT, it's for the simulator. It has take-off issues which I hope to iron out, but I'm keeping in mind Realflight was never intended to operate in such a way. The split dual purpose rudder/airbrake design also doesn't work correctly in the physics.

I'm aware of the shading issues too, but it's not done yet.

Anyhow, I would love to create one of these in real life. If you search for UHS Space Shuttle, you'll find a nice large scale model rocket space shuttle with boosters and working launch pad even. There are a few videos on youtube of it. You might be able to get plans from the guy who made it--maybe.
PM the final file of that. I'd love to try it out on my Realflight 5.5.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Sep 2008
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
PM the final file of that. I'd love to try it out on my Realflight 5.5.
I just sent you a PM with a link. The version uploaded on my site is not a final copy of the model by any means, but you can play around with it in the meantime. The scale isn't finalized at this point. Just be sure to follow the instructions because the take-off is HORRIBLE at this point.

I'm actually very unhappy with the cockpit windows and am in the process of re-designing them. I'm addressing a few other issues as well. I'll worry more about the physics later on, but I have big plans for this project which are remaining secret for now.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson914 View Post
I just sent you a PM with a link. The version uploaded on my site is not a final copy of the model by any means, but you can play around with it in the meantime. The scale isn't finalized at this point. Just be sure to follow the instructions because the take-off is HORRIBLE at this point.

I'm actually very unhappy with the cockpit windows and am in the process of re-designing them. I'm addressing a few other issues as well. I'll worry more about the physics later on, but I have big plans for this project which are remaining secret for now.
Very cool and thanks for the pm. Ill check it out soon. Im on the road right now.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Very cool and thanks for the pm. Ill check it out soon. Im on the road right now.
I updated the EA and uploaded it onto my site. I also reduced the size of the .tga in case that caused Realflight to crash. The problem with .dds creation after import is pretty bad in G5.5, so that is why I reduced the size of the .tga.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, IL, Round Lake
Joined Aug 2009
96 Posts
Guys I need your advice. My grandson is getting into rockets and I thought I would join him with a rocket powered RC plane. Are there balsa kits available for rc rocket planes?
rbacci is offline Find More Posts by rbacci
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbacci View Post
Guys I need your advice. My grandson is getting into rockets and I thought I would join him with a rocket powered RC plane. Are there balsa kits available for rc rocket planes?
RC Rocket Glider kits are typically specialty items. There is not a huge group of people doing this sort of thing so at any given point in time there may or may not be any actual kits out there.

These days I would highly suggest getting one of those mini TopSkys and converting it to RCRG. That is if you want a RCRG that is basically a rocket powered DLG. If you want something that is more a rocket powered aerobatic plane then finding a Phoenix kit would be good or if you want to cut a kit a fun little project it the Lady Hawk from RCM plans. You could totally knock one of those out from balsa sheets in a weekend and have a fun flippy RCRG.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
910 Posts
For a start you can look at this: http://edmondsaerospace.com/RC.html

Available here: http://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/Edmonds.html

I'm assuming you have some RC flying experience, if not then THAT is where you need to start for anything more advanced. You can look at 'burkefj's smaller depron gliders as an alternative.

There are glider conversion threads in this forum if you search and scratch built ones too.

Richard

Opps; posted at the same time Ryan did.
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, IL, Round Lake
Joined Aug 2009
96 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes I have been flying RC for over 10 years now so building and flying won't be an issue. I'd love to find an X-1 kit.
rbacci is offline Find More Posts by rbacci
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Sep 2008
149 Posts
SpaceShuttle_tests.wmv (2 min 10 sec)

I've got more done on the Space Shuttle rocket for the sim and I wish I could create one of these in real life. The sim will just need to tie me over like many others.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:57 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,515 Posts
are there any rc rockets that will work on a c size engine?
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
are there any rc rockets that will work on a c size engine?
Yes. Look at the apogee 30 plans.
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2007
448 Posts
Check out my giant scale X-2 build here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post20940409

X30
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Sep 2008
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT View Post
Check out my giant scale X-2 build here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post20940409

X30
That looks incredible! I'm jealous of your aircraft which make the stuff I do in the simulators look quite lame.