HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:11 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlcafan79 View Post
When is the next time you guys are flying out there?
Next will be at April 16. Look here http://www.narhams.org/calendar.html
muto is offline Find More Posts by muto
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:04 AM
USA, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Oct 2007
45 Posts
Wouldn't you have problems with a cross tail in the exhaust?
mtlcafan79 is offline Find More Posts by mtlcafan79
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:12 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,596 Posts
Quote:
Wouldn't you have problems with a cross tail in the exhaust?

You invert it. http://web.mac.com/parky/RavenNine/Photos.html
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:42 AM
USA, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Oct 2007
45 Posts
I was thinking cross tail as in a DLG tail.
mtlcafan79 is offline Find More Posts by mtlcafan79
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:54 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,596 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking cross tail as in a DLG tail.
That might have problems with getting burned. I can't say for sure since I haven't flown a RCRG with a DLG tail. Some guys I know are starting to add area above the tail so maybe it is less of a deal than we always thought.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:59 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,596 Posts
One problem with a DLG tail on a RCRG is the way many of us build towers it wouldn't fit into a tower they way you might want to set that up.

Ryan
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:12 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Some like this
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:26 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muto View Post
Some like this
This is similar to what I am planning. Rudder is below the boom as is the elevator. Both will be kevlar covered so Im not too worry about burning but we shall soon see...
-Scott
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:22 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
<SNIP>

I thought about buying a mini topsky and doing a conversion for an article in Sport Rocketry, but if you are going to sell a kit that saves me the time/effort.

<SNIP>

Ryan
Great minds thinking alike, maybe? For once, I'm ahead of you... I'm slowly converting a Mini-Topsky with the intention of doing a mini-article on RC Groups similar to the one I did on the Venus a couple of years back. I'm expecting it will make a good CRG model for NARAM this year... and a great S8D for Juniors at the US team tryouts.

Progress has been slow as I've been way-busy with work & rocketry outreach stuff such as TARC, but will be able to steal a little time away over the next couple of weeks and get it done.

Also really looking forward to what Scott is doing.

Later!

Greg (FA) Stewart

P.S. Very nice S8D model, Dimitri!
gstew is offline Find More Posts by gstew
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:06 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Thanks Greg, I just extend wing spain to 1.10 m FAI S8E/P legal. Only regular V tail no aelerons perfect control.
Old May 04, 2011, 12:13 AM
RC Nut!
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
Scott any progress? My buddy Brian and I have 2 GP flings on the build table as we doint have anything else to do at the moment. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230981 I think I got them on sale for $82 shipped to my door about 2 years ago for the pair with discount and super saver club shiping.
We would like to beta one or 2 when you get to that point.

Thanks,

John Fruge
Madera,CA
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Old May 04, 2011, 12:26 AM
RC Nut!
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
Also just a late thought on the RC 24MM RC Case ver the normal RMS 24MM case

I have 2 of the RC plugged cases and 3 of the normal hobbyline RMS cases. I just plugged the hobbyline cases with a small both and washer / nut combo. This way I can run the normal E6 , E7 or any of the othe loads with the delay smoke.

It also lets me build 5 motors (in one sittling)... I hate having to stop the action to do more motor / cleaning rebuilds.....

Last year at the cal challange DLG contest in Visalia I did some demo flights of my Phinex with an 29MM Ellas Mt. G20...(full G) ..single use ripper motors..... and it was awsome. But... the highlight was the Wedgee speed 400 36" wing converted to rocket power with full lights for night flying. I think over 2 nights we did about 20 flights with D5 20MM to E7 RMS reloads... about 7 different pilots lost of beer and it loved to fly another day. (I used a 6 ft rail with buttons for an launch setup at about a 60* angle.

Fun Fun,

John Fruge
Madera,CA
Old May 04, 2011, 12:30 AM
RC Nut!
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
Amusingly enough, this idea has been on my mind all day and I stopped in here to see if anyone had done one!
Well, a 163 in general. My plan would be more of a scratch build in traditional balsa. I could probably build it much liighter than this model that way. Besides, I like building stuff more than just unpacking a box.
Any updates on this project?

Fun Fun,

John
Old May 04, 2011, 04:38 AM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfruge View Post
Scott any progress? My buddy Brian and I have 2 GP flings on the build table as we doint have anything else to do at the moment. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230981 I think I got them on sale for $82 shipped to my door about 2 years ago for the pair with discount and super saver club shiping.
We would like to beta one or 2 when you get to that point.

Thanks,

John Fruge
Madera,CA
As of now the new center panels are due to be delivered today. Once i get them I will build out some wings for the testing phase. So ask me in a couple of weeks and I might have some better answers on where I am
-Scott
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
Old May 17, 2011, 02:22 AM
RC Nut!
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
kits collecting dust?

Guys, I / We am looking for a AT Phoenix kit or Cuda Kit. Please let ua know if you have one collecting dust that you may never get around to building.

we have PP cash and I also loads of HPR (to drade if needed) hardware / shutes / electronics + complete tested rockets to from a 6' 3" to 3 or more 6" or larger 8' to 12' one or 2 stage stuff. rocket that will take from 24mm about 40N up to 3 and 4" stuff to 15,000N (total 2 stage)

the 12' 6" booster (M2500) 7500N and a 4" 2nd stage with a 3" ellis M (7000N) long burn.... went great with a full size handy cam / looking out the side with a 1st serface mirror looking down the rocket. I think it went over 30K (5 miles up) and was awsome! (this was 15 years ago at black rock in NV)

I / We am getting heavy into Rocket RC Gliders / DLG contst / and also open TD / and at some point the USA bent wing woody class. and have a Built Phoenix but want another so I can build it lite. A club member built my first one (for something he owed me) more that 10 years ago. It still is flying great after more than 100 flights. It is just heavy as I am using small 9g servos but have to use a full size 8 channel RX (case on ) 4 AA batterys and aobut 2 OZ or more of lead in the noise to get the correct CG.

I just ordered 2 of the AT RMS I49 long burn motors to upscale something
I think I will try an 8" flying wing first because I have the (Mother Ship Wing Kit) Later on maybe a Balsa Products ME163 ARF (large 8 LBS or so.)

Please let me know what you have laying around if anything. (Even any of OOP estes rocket power RC kits or arfs to the (who ever the hell) made the SR71 blackbird deal.... I / We hope to sorta / copy / improve on / I.E. longer wing or another airfoil or both on say a T25. Also come up with some of out own stuff from scratch.

My buddy Brian G and I are also in the process of setting up a area in my shop (52 / 20) **shop** with a 8 x 10 office. So we are planning to bild or buy a foam CNC cutter and start off easy making flying wings and progress to bagging balsa / then glass then sone carbon when needed. It is my hope to come up with some nice Rocket Gliders small to large and also when we get better at the process do our own hand launch (wings) and also (open class) Supra type wings. ** well will start out buying the pod / boom and maybe tail feathers on both the DLG / d..e size rocket gliders and also the Supra TD / F3J ships (we hope after this year we can be done buying the $1500 to $2000 molded ships (then have to add radio gear) and also have a backup.... usually the same model type / color if possable.

We have the space / time / support / from fellow flyer / builders (some less than an hour or 2 away if we really end up needing help.

Time will tell.

FYI and thanks,

Thanks,

John Fruge / Brian Glover
Team Madera Ranchos
Madera, CA 93636