SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:43 PM
Your ruler, in part...
Albany, NY
Joined Mar 2005
731 Posts
Omni-directional antenna for bit-tx?

has anyone made a Omni-directional antenna for use on a bit-tx? i had the idea, because i think the increase in range would be great, but i have very little knowledge to go on if i were to build one. i just wanted to know if this has been done before as it would save me some time and frustration. thanks
Angry_Monk is offline Find More Posts by Angry_Monk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:07 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
holding the antenna upwards/vertical will give you an omni-directional transmission.
If you imagine the antenna is up the middle of a doughnut - that is the radiation pattern outputted. (the shape of the solid doughnut ) Hence - when you point the antenna at the model it is actually reducing the signal as at that angle there is very little output coming out of the top of the antenna.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:38 AM
Your ruler, in part...
Albany, NY
Joined Mar 2005
731 Posts
ok, i think i may have gotten my definitions wrong again, which means the web site i was reading had misinformation. what i mean to say is a directional antenna that would project the signal directly at the model. i'v seen it done for wi-fi and it was used to boost the singal to 1000+ft.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:38 PM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
"Furious Thelonius"
Nitro's info is correct --- IME the best way of increasing Tx radiated power is still the one in the bitcharger thread index by "Mr Rc cam" which involves a simple 9v conversion of the Tx output circuitry, and using a cheapo regulator to run the (5v) chip.
I must however admit that in practical flying terms the orientation of the antenna length never seems to make a scrap of difference once the aicraft is at altitude: at a guess this might be because the RF signal bounces around metal framed indoor spaces so much anyway?
Peter
peter frostick is offline Find More Posts by peter frostick
Last edited by peter frostick; Aug 12, 2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 04:05 PM
Your ruler, in part...
Albany, NY
Joined Mar 2005
731 Posts
i'm just looking for a way to dramatically increase range, or at least get 150ft out of my tx. funny thing is that i did have that kind or range but all the sudden its more like 50ft. maybe its the cheap bit-electronics.

anyway, i was reading one of the bit-plane topics (86 pages long) and one of the last posts said something about this car http://shop4.outpost.com/product/385...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG having 400ft of range after the 9v mod and longer antenna. i was just wondering if this is true and if anyone has anymore info on this car.