HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:31 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
My first Helicopter - I need help, no really!

Okay, I am looking for my first helicopter. It seems to me like that T-Rex 450xl would be a great choice, but I don't know for sure. They have the 450x ep v.2, the 450xl cde and the 450xl hde. I only have two questions right now (and a bunch more to follow later). 1) Which one of these would be best for me? 2) What would the ideal setup be for a great flying 1st heli? I appreciate any help you guys can give me. I am really looking forward to doing this. BTW, I will have to do all of this on my own since absolutely nobody around here (I think in the entire country) flies helicopters. I will also need a list of spare parts that I need to keep on hand since it takes a while to get orders from the states. Thanks again guys for your help.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:58 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
No sweat.. most people learn on their own.. Except most people learn on something easier on the pocket.. if yours are filled with cash then there should be no problem
Otherwise get a fixed pitch heli and get the basic handling down to instinc. I ended up with 5 (3 Aerohawks and 2 Skylarks) parts were pretty interchangeable and I was able to fly most days while spares were being ordered for the others. (We have a small house)

I eventually got a Shogun (got 2 now) and I just got a T-rex but I'm sure glad I cut my teeth on something less expensive to repair.

Actually I just got a new battery for the Aerohawk and was flying it outside this evening... remember, a CP heli is not really an indoor flyer unless you live in a palace and there is always the windy winters day when you need a quick fix *lol*

It won't go to wast so I would pick up a cheapo off ebay and get stuck in!

Just my say so take it as ya like.

Jeff
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:08 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Good luck. Still working on my first "controlled drift". Got the drift part down pat. Gotta work more on the control part.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:37 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Headspin, thanks for the information. If that is the case and I shouldn't start out with a T-Rex, what would be the best starter heli and setup. There are so many choices that are out there and modifications to these things. I would like to start with a brushless motor and lipos since that is what I have done with my airplanes also. I'm not interested in doing the 3d stuff right now and just need a good solid helicopter setup to start out with. I don't have unlimited funds, but I don't want a substandard heli that I won't want to keep. In other words, I don't want to see it in the trash within a year. What about a Dragonfly? If you think this is the best choice, what would be the ideal setup? From what I have read, I would need a good gyro for this one. Any help would be appreciated for a heli/motor/battery/spare parts.
PoudreDerf, it is a slow painful process, isn't it. I'll be there soon enough!
Daddy-O
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:44 PM
Joined May 2005
1,051 Posts
look for something in the classifieds. a used trex or ark as that will be the cheapest to fix when you crash and itll probably take you a while to outgrow it. if it comes with CNC parts, then great. those parts will be less likely to break as long as you take it easy while learning to minimize damage. mainblades, F&M shafts, servo gears, and tail booms will be nice to have handy.
jh4db536 is offline Find More Posts by jh4db536
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:44 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
One more thing. I should probably practice on a flight sim before I go fire up the real thing. Is the fms flightsim good enough for practice with helis? If so, which model would you suggest I work with the most? If not, which flight sim would you suggest that is pretty realistic?
Daddy-O
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:50 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Daddy-O:
I use the stock Hughes Helicopter in FMS & seems to work just fine. I just bought a Serial PIC cable from Milehighwings.com & now can use my stock Esky Radio to fly with. So far I like FMS & think it's a pretty good Simulator for getting the hang of the sticks, many have said it's not realistic but I would disagree, it seems like a pretty good Sim to me.

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:55 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
Buying a used heli, especially something as complicated as a T-Rex to learn on is a BAD idea unless you know the owner or a very good heli flyer that can help. A fixed pitch bird is good but the Blade CP is a very forgiving heli and seems to me that for ~$200.00 new complete it's a hell of a deal.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:11 PM
Joined May 2005
18 Posts
I have to concur with the x
especially when you'r talking about 500 easy for a ready to fly trex If you build it your self.
whatever you end up with opt for a trainig kit (a must)..
toecutter is offline Find More Posts by toecutter
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:17 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,210 Posts
Keep it simple, use the sim until you are bored with sending the virtual heli wherever you want (that might take a while). DON't buy second-hand -chances are the previous owner is selling because they can't get it to work. It might be fine, but as a newbie, you might never find out.

get a brand new package deal - under $200, read the EHBG at the top of the forum, and Google "RADD" for good advice on learning to fly.

and most of all, savour every minute, as you have stumbled into the best segment of radio control!
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:34 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I may just go with the Blade cp. I can't believe that it even comes with the Tx. I have a Tx that I was going to use, but man, what a deal!
Tony, I'll be sure to check out the info at EHBG and thanks for the tip for the google search. I knew that I could count on you guys for help. If I go with the Blade CP, what type of spare parts will I want to keep on hand? Remember that it takes me a while to get what I need from the states, so I need to be prepared or be prepared to wait a month to fly again.
Daddy-O
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:48 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Well, I have been reading the Blade CP Owners thread and it seems like a lot of guys are starting out on this heli and are very pleased with it. I still have a lot of reading since it is currently at 16 pages and I am only up to page 3, but it does seem to be a winner. I am getting excited! You guys know the feeling. BTW, here is the link to the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=blade+cp+
Daddy-O
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:52 AM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
I saw a blade fly and thought it was a nice stable heli for a micro....however i have to disagree with you guys saying the Trex is expensive to repair. The parts are VERY cheap! What vendors have you guys been dealing with? If you have the cash I would say just jump right into the trex...but before that just get an FMA simulator to get yourself familiar with the controls...if you dont want to learn CCPM just go with the HDE version. I think you will be pretty happy with the Trex. Cheap to repair, very stable, and best of all rugged. A bunch of vendors carry parts for them and i'm sure they will ship internationally. Whatever you decide to do, good luck! I'm sure you'll have fun with either heli.
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
Old Aug 12, 2005, 02:44 AM