HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2005, 02:40 PM
Joined Aug 2005
8 Posts
Alert
Parkzone P 51 Mustang

Hi everyone I have been flying glow power planes for a while now and I really enjoy them however I have to drive 45 minutes to get to our club field and I was interested in getting one of these parkzone flyers. so I can fly in the field in back of my house.

What is your opinion of this bird.
It is the parkzone P 51 Mustang everything in the box.

Thanks

Peiviper
MAAC 73273
peiviper is offline Find More Posts by peiviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:05 PM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
Depends on the size of your field
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:12 PM
San Jose,Ca
Joined May 2005
147 Posts
There's a huge thread that's been going on in the parkflyers section talking all about this plane.If you do buy it it requires a world record throw and you're probably going to need to upgrade it to brushless lipo.

I mistakenly bought this plane and I wasn't an expert.

Get the lipo if you don't upgrade to brushless.
Ferocious Franki is offline Find More Posts by Ferocious Franki
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:20 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I love my p-51. You just have to remember it's a $179 plane. It's not perfect but it's great for what you get. A few tweaks here and there and general maintinence and your good to go. I think it flies perfectly fine on the stock setup even with the stock battery. I've not gone to lipos in it yet. It's got plenty of power to do loops from level flight and even outside loops from level flight. It takes a good toss to get the plane to flying speed. After a few times you start to get to know the plane the launch becomes a non-issue.

Good luck on your decision.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:07 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I also have a park zone P-51D. All the talk about it being hard to launch etc. to me is bull. 1st thing you wanna do is to cycle the battery pack a few times. This sets up the pack's chemistry. I did that with the two battery packs I have for it and they work excellent. For launching, I go full throttle and throw it straight out into the wind. I don't have a problem. Lipoly packs are fine but you'll need a 3S 2100 mah pack (thunder power fits in the battery well pretty good). However, be prepared for sticker shock!!!! The lipoly packs aint cheap. Some have put brushless in. Then you'd need a brushless controller. You 179 dollar plane now becomes well over 300. Add a few 2100 lipoly packs and your getting close to 500. $500 would buy me the new hangar 9 P-40E Warhawk and a new OS or Saito 4 stroke engine.
The P-51 flies as its intended on the stock setup. Not bad for the cost.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2005
8 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave, I just want a small plane to fly in my back yard , I already have to Glow powered planes and will be building a Ct 114 tutor Jet this winter so I want something small to fly in the back yard as I live in the countrywith fields all around me.
peiviper is offline Find More Posts by peiviper
Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:39 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Peiviper, then the P51 should work out for you. The radio system on the p51 is on the 27mhz band. You shouldn't have any problems flying it since your past experience is in with glow aircraft.
I have a farm too in which I fly all my electrics. You may even wanna check out some of the new 3D planes such as the flat foamies. Put in small brushless outrunners. I have an Ultrafly Outrage bipe that runs on a great planes Rimfire brushless motor. 8 amp BL-8 esc and 1200 mah lipoly packs.
The plane is a complete blast!! Its an arf and I paid $35 for it at the LHS.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Aug 12, 2005, 05:21 AM
Taipei Sung Shan, Taiwan
Joined Feb 2004
683 Posts
I like the model but I hate the radio. I would want to use it with my radio. LHS do not have a airplane only version. I think that radio is for beginners but the P-51 is for intermediate to advanced pilot. Why they mix them up together?

Charlie
charlie2020 is offline Find More Posts by charlie2020
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:16 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
How much space do you have in the park.

Have you looked at the F27 Stryker from Parkzone? Gets rave reviews!!!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:28 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Here ya go, from the Parkflyer section....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=parkzone+

Shawn
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:22 AM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
My P51 has over 100 flights on it now- the last three it carried a video camera. It's being taken down for routine maintenance now though- new prop (still on original) and new gearbox etc. Both my original batteries are not working so well anymore... flights are down to 5-6 minutes.
It's a great plane for the money- looks fantastic in the air too. If you want to use your radio though- just buy the bare fuse, wing and tail- then go with the AON brushless.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:13 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
> I think that radio is for beginners but the P-51 is for intermediate to advanced pilot.
>Why they mix them up together?

Possibly because a lot of people still buy one of these for a first model, even if it is unsuitable. We had one turn up at our club last week, fortunately they took our advice and didn't fly it (which was pretty restrained, as we didn't have a buddy box or anything they could try)
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:56 PM
Joined Jul 2005
50 Posts
the P 51 is an okay plane if your just going to fly it behind your house.
CuttingEdge is offline Find More Posts by CuttingEdge
Old Aug 12, 2005, 04:23 PM
STRYKER ADDICT
Orange County CA
Joined Jul 2005
30 Posts
2100 3s1p tp is the only way to go!!!!!

I just bought a couple lipos for this plane and WHAT A HUGE difference it makes.Triple the power with half the weight.tp 2100 3s1p.no more heavy front end.buy one you won't regret it.Anyone out there running brushless mods on this plane? That would be even better I'm sure!!!!! what motor, mount etc...... tell us please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ron Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Ron Carlton
Old Aug 12, 2005, 05:51 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Long thread on upgrading the PZ P-51 to brushless. Lots of topics on this plane in the parkfliers section

Park Zone P-51 & Official Aon BL Motor Upgrade Thread
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul