HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:19 AM
Joined Aug 2005
1 Posts
Thoughts On U-Can-Do 3D Flight-Flex EP ARF

Looking to pick this plane up as I am first time flyer. Any Thoughts?

http://towerhobby.com/products/great.../gpma1275.html
thall17 is offline Find More Posts by thall17
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2005, 01:02 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
No don't. People have all kinds of complaints about them. I don't much care for mine; After an afternoon in my car, it is no longer straight and flies all over the place.

The power system is great though. Especially on 3cel lipos. If you get one, pay very careful attention to the directions.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:20 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,584 Posts
You can't just buy anything for a first plane! A 3D plane like this would be the worst possible choice. It should be your 3rd plane. Here is a good trainer: http://www.gwsexpert.com/product_inf...roducts_id=602. The combo package comes with everything so you don't have to go buy a bunch of electronics separately like you would for the U-Can-Do.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Aug 12, 2005, 01:34 PM
Bartlett, IL
Joined Jun 2002
450 Posts
This plane was fun, but dont expect it to last long. The workmanship is not the best and for the money you can find much better planes. My plane didn't like any speed whatsoever and the tail would shake all over the place. With some work it can be stabilized, but not worth the time if you ask me.
stamper is offline Find More Posts by stamper
Old Aug 14, 2005, 07:04 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
It's a funny plane in the sense that the foam is very soft, so much so a zipper is used for the battery compartment, While the soft foam will take a lot of abuse, the light framing of the wings will not. I guess GP deserves some kind of credit for bringing something entirely different on the market... as far as the result goes.. oh.. welll...

This would be a reasonnable option for a first time 3d'er who has reasonnably mastered an aileron plane before, but not good at all for a first time flyer. Look into the Slow Stick, Beaver, E-starter and the likes for your first steps into RC flying.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:54 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,060 Posts
I would have to agree with everyone else. I have a U-Can-Do, and I am looking forward to my next model. It is good in the sence that it is made of EPP foam and can take some abuse, but the foam is very soft, and will tear on a bad landing. I too left mine in my car for an afternoon, and it took a lot of time and work with a hair dryer to straighten it out. I also had to put a carbon rod down the bottom of it to try and straighten out the fuse after the damage from the car.

It does have a nice power system for being brushed. But it can be hard to controll if your not used to ailerons.

Not to mention that I have been waiting for two weeks to find a replacement gear for the gear box. I stripped mine out when my prop saver lost the prop. I don't know if this is normal for the parts for this plane, but I am disapointed in the fact that I cant find the parts in stock. You don't see that very often with a GWS or other planes.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:48 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
We've had a few at the LHS where I work at. Funny thing is that so far almost all of them have been broken in the store, just from people examining them. The wing is especially fragile.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer