HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:54 AM
Tulsa Jones, Oklahoma, United States
Joined May 2002
315 Posts
Hobby Shops in Albuquerque

I am bringing my twins out to University of New Mexico for there freshman year next week.

Can someone give me a idea of some good hobby shops in the area?

Thanks.

Jeff
nxtdoor is offline Find More Posts by nxtdoor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2005, 01:28 PM
Santa Fe, NM
Joined Aug 2002
65 Posts
IMHO the best one

http://www.hobbies-n-stuff.com/
nm5s is offline Find More Posts by nm5s
Old Aug 12, 2005, 04:53 PM
wannafly1
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: N/A. It is temporarily hidden while wannafly1 edits it.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 01:26 PM
Suspended Account
FREE Gene!!! Get Banned!!!
Joined Jun 2005
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafly1
sorry but they are there and its small by far the best hobbystore here is outwest the new store is HUGE!!!about 2 3 times bigger than h'n's

You know that you can express an opinion without resorting to crude name calling............I'd say GROW UP, but upon seeing your birthdate why try.

Shops in ABQ:
Hobbies-n-Stuff
Outwest (current staff has lots of electric expertise)
Big Boys Toys
Speed is Life is offline Find More Posts by Speed is Life
Last edited by Don Sims; Aug 17, 2005 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Quote from a warned post
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:03 PM
slow & draggy...
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2004
463 Posts
I've never had a bad experience ever with the family -owned Hobbies & stuff - they were extremely helpful when I was 1st starting out and didnt know anything in regards to paks and brushless engines. Actually if you were to compare the 2 shops, the plane sections are probably about the same size & selection.

Both Outwest & H&S are great shops.
Hobiestoke is offline Find More Posts by Hobiestoke
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:50 PM
Suspended Account
FREE Gene!!! Get Banned!!!
Joined Jun 2005
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiestoke
I've never had a bad experience ever with the family -owned Hobbies & stuff - they were extremely helpful when I was 1st starting out and didnt know anything in regards to paks and brushless engines. Actually if you were to compare the 2 shops, the plane sections are probably about the same size & selection.

Both Outwest & H&S are great shops.
Agreed.........Hobbies-n-Stuff (Stan & Helen) have always been helpful and nice. They may be a bit more oriented toward the wet power business only because of volume.
Speed is Life is offline Find More Posts by Speed is Life
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:58 PM
Tulsa Jones, Oklahoma, United States
Joined May 2002
315 Posts
I visited both shops in Albuquerque today. They are both very nice shops.

I looked at fuel prices and about died at Outwest. They are stiff. They do have a beautiful shop though. Have to pay for it some way.

Hobbies n Stuff was nice also.

Both seemed very friendly.

Thanks for the replies.

Jeff
nxtdoor is offline Find More Posts by nxtdoor
Old Oct 04, 2005, 11:27 AM
CLUB GITMO
Little Rock National Airport
Joined Nov 2003
704 Posts
looking

Do any of you know Justin Hawkins in your area??
Thanks
Daniel
Sunspot is offline Find More Posts by Sunspot
Old May 11, 2006, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2006
24 Posts
I just wanted to add my 2c worth to perhaps open up this room a little bit with some new info.

I've been to all three stores mentioned in the above emails. Here are my experiences.

I am currently looking to buy a beginner's helicopter. I went to Big Boy's Toys first and was immediated greeted by an enthusiastic salesman who promptly demo'd two different helicopters for me - the Blade CP and the Hirobo Sky Robo. He even put up with my son's CONSTANT talking and questions.

I then went to Hobbies-n-Stuff and was promptly greeted in a friendly and knowledgable fashion. No demos here, but everyone was quite friendly.

I've been to Outwest Hobbies several times since they moved and have always marvelled at the size of their store and the stuff they carry. I was able to get spares for my RC cars and had lots of fun looking around. However, other than the owners, the staff seemed unhelpful, uncaring, and generally not people skill trained. With regards to helicopters, they were sold out of every size, shape and model of helicopter. Said they'd get some in four days, but couldn't elaborate on type or model.

Much to my chagrin, of the three stores, only Outwest is open on Sundays. I'm only in the Albuquerque area on Sundays and hate to make a special trip out there just to shop - especially with my work schedule.

VF
VentureForth is offline Find More Posts by VentureForth
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:43 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am curious if these hobby shops are still there... Also, do they sell Nitro fuel? If not I will bring a case with me when I move out there.
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Old Aug 06, 2009, 07:29 PM
Retarded old sergeant
Farmington, NM
Joined Dec 2007
20 Posts
Hobby shops

Liquidy--There are three hobby shops. Dont have a phone book but they will all help--Baylor
baylordsmith is offline Find More Posts by baylordsmith
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:42 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Went to hobby-n-stuff (I think that is the name) when I was there a few days ago. I will check out the others when I am there
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
slow & draggy...
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2004
463 Posts
Hobby Shps Albuquerque Update:

Since this post, Both Outwest and Hobbies and Stuff have gone out of business! :O( Hobbies N Stuff Original Owners, pulled out, sold business to other owners who relocated the store to Candelaria and i-25. After awhile there, several weeks back, i went to the store for ssome props and discovered that from one day to the next they had pulled all thier inventory out and split without leaving any signs or forwarding info that they were moving to a new location! I had literally been there days earlier. Website down now too so it looks like the days off Hobbies n stuff are now completely gone. As far as i know now the only two shops in town are Big Boys Toys and "Hobby Pros" on wyoming and menaul which i believe is the Outwest guys open under a new name - right across the street from where the original Outwest (was a different name) was all thru the 70s.

Prices at Hobby Pros are a bit stiff, BUT they always keep props and parts inventory updated and i go frequently. Times are gettin rough for the hobby shops as its easy to go on ebay and purchase everything RC so cheaply and have it delivered to your front door direct from Hong Kong for pennies on the dollar. I must admit im guily of it as well having just ordered 30 or so props from China at about .75 cents ea compared to the 3.50 i was paying at the local shops. Savings too hard to resist. But i also feel strongly ABQ needs more good shops too and will be supportive to them still when i can!
- Hobie
Hobiestoke is offline Find More Posts by Hobiestoke
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:33 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
Hobby shops in ABQ

Hi guys we just moved to ABQ from Denver. I'm in hobby shock, there's not much to draw on here. I did go to Big Boys Toys and spoke with the owner and he was very helpful.
I thought I saw a shop on the way home from church on Sunday. We were going south on Wyoming. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
Gil47 is offline Find More Posts by Gil47
Old Mar 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
It is called Hobby Proz. It is on the corner of Wyoming and Menaul.

Let me know where you are at. Maybe we can get together and do some flying.

I live on Kirtland AFB and I too am fairly new to the area. I moved out here in August from GA.