Continued from
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394464
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:59 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Dec 2003
176 Posts
just a quick note to all...rather than type subscribe and fill this thread with 50 subscribe posts up front, click the "thread tools" pulldown and select "subscribe to this thread"...it is that easy and doesn't take up space...sorry if this takes up space
jchuston is offline Find More Posts by jchuston
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:04 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Dec 2003
176 Posts
Back to the motors. Is this discussion about the 2 stator version only? Or can we discuss the songle stator (278 I think). I have never dont one of these things. I really want to though, which would y'all suggest for a Slow Stick with a 4 oz. camera. You think that 278 or the 283 would be better...and houw would y'all suggest winding it?

-John
jchuston is offline Find More Posts by jchuston
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:14 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
John,
Here is the link for the komodo single: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374084
Look at some of my post on building the single as a 1.5 stator. Some of the results are close to the double. As a side note look at this thread for a $30 video recorder: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400546

Chris
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:51 AM
a really nice guy, really
Phoenix Intl, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
Wow, a 1.5 strator will output almost as much as a double?! Do youhave a chart on that? Thats pretty good to know. It looks alot easier to wind up a single. I've only toyed with prewound outrunners in delta that I've reconnected wye for lower RPMs. So the less magnet winding I have to do the better for me.
Ralph Brekan is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Brekan
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:04 AM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Ralph, winding is really easy, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only trouble I've ever had with winding was -seeing- what I'm doing. I bought one of those magnifying helmets and man, that did the trick! Then I saw the optometrist and got a new prescription for my glasses and now I don't need the magnifier anymore
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:23 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Thank You Ron to start up a new thread.

Da V.
Komodo Hobby
Da V. is offline Find More Posts by Da V.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:23 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
Here is one of my post on the KH-278 with 1.5 stator: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=389

9X5DD gws prop
3s2100
10200 RPMs
@ 15.3 amps
~35oz thrust

I'm sure that It could be rewound for a larger prop but I was actually trying for a 6x4 prop @20k.

Chris
Last post in this new thread about a different motor (for me).
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:32 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles
Da V. -I have a bone to pick with you!!!!

I saw this ad in the forum just when I thought I was done buying motors for a bit. I have over 7 motors that are not even in planes yet - then you show off this one which looks so sweet. So naturally I had to buy one.

My garage looks like a hanger, my dining room table looks like an electrical shop, and my wife is less than happy about it. If I get a divorce over this hobby - its your fault! Just kidding, she isnt THAT po'ed.

Anyway- great looking motor, great price.
Hello ImaBiffles,

We have many ladies looks so sweet and named "Motor". They are always available for you. Don't show this post to your wife. She will Jealous

Enjoy the "motor"!!!

Cheers,

Da V.
Komodo Hobby
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:48 AM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhtoo
My ears are still ringing.. Hey Da V. you sell mufflers for this thing??
I will find a place for this awesome motor, but it is NOT for foamy type planes..
Anyone have a suggestion for a decent 3D plane? I'm thinking maybe a Ultrafly mini, or similar. I think it's a little too much for my SA Cap, or the AKmodels Cap I'm assembling.

Rick
Hello Rick,

How is your ears? Can you still hear the motor scream now?

Da V.
Komodo Hobby
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:00 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Mine screams as well... Let's call it the 'Big Screamer' compared to the brand Little Screamers

Anyway, run a couple of flights with my SX-2, 3s1550, 1047... Stupid Power But, after just a 2 minute flight, I came it to check motor temp, and it's HOT! The backplate/bearing tube is too hot to hold. I don't think this will last long like this. I'm going to try backing the timing down to see how it does. There's no shorts or anything, I'm not sure why the heat.

The pack is barely warm, so I'm not averaging more than 8A or so I'd guess.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:03 PM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
KH-283 installed in X-400 Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roti
Next motor will be for my Trex

Richard.
This is a 29g magnet Wire, 5turns, 6Strands, Wye and 6 magnet poles (NSNSNS) motor installed to X400 helicopter. We used 15T pinion to fly it. The data will be posted here later.

Da V.
Komodo Hobby
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:06 PM
You can do it!!!
Joined Mar 2005
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Mine screams as well... Let's call it the 'Big Screamer' compared to the brand Little Screamers

Anyway, run a couple of flights with my SX-2, 3s1550, 1047... Stupid Power But, after just a 2 minute flight, I came it to check motor temp, and it's HOT! The backplate/bearing tube is too hot to hold. I don't think this will last long like this. I'm going to try backing the timing down to see how it does. There's no shorts or anything, I'm not sure why the heat.

The pack is barely warm, so I'm not averaging more than 8A or so I'd guess.
How many turns of your motor?

Da V.
Komodo Hobby
Old Aug 11, 2005, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAMEDNLVS
Here is one of my post on the KH-278 with 1.5 stator: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=389

9X5DD gws prop
3s2100
10200 RPMs
@ 15.3 amps
~35oz thrust

I'm sure that It could be rewound for a larger prop but I was actually trying for a 6x4 prop @20k.

Chris
Last post in this new thread about a different motor (for me).

Chris,

Can you verify these perfomance specs for me? Is thrust measured or calculated?

Thanks,

Adam
latrans is offline Find More Posts by latrans
Old Aug 11, 2005, 01:08 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
Thrust was calculated. Rpm was taken with a 10 year old tach. Amps was taken with a sears clamp-on meter. I can put my data-loger on it to recheck the amps. I picked up another kit that I'll wind with more turns for a larger prop and list it in the other thread. The motor does run hot!

Chris