HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:47 AM
Netherlands
Joined Jul 2003
116 Posts
Once you go scratch, you don't go back?

Ok...I have a 'serious' problem...i'm not an all that experienced modelbuilder...but because of a lack of technical things in my everyday job I (among other things) started with this hobby. And one of (maybe even the) in my opinion greatest aspects of this fine hobby, is designing, building and eventually/hopefully () flying your own model. But this ofcourse takes a lot more time and effort then simply buying a kit, or (the horror! ) a ARTF.

And because,when you design you're own model, you're able to decide on many things like construction, materials, flight characteristics, I just can't put myself to buying a kit or ARTF anymore. I'm just spoiled with the extra possibilities which designing you're own model brings.

Am i the only one, or are there fellow modelbuilders who share this problem.
Igwe Aneke is offline Find More Posts by Igwe Aneke
Old Aug 11, 2005, 04:31 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igwe Aneke
Am i the only one, or are there fellow modelbuilders who share this problem.

You're not alone!

Although I've been building from kits and plans for a few years, about 12 months ago I took the plunge and drew up my first set of plans for a scale model (it hadn't been modelled before as far as I could tell so I had no choice). Delighted by its success, I've been motivated to build another three own-designs since then.

Don't you just love this ridiculous hobby?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Aug 11, 2005, 05:37 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Well you either love crafting stuiff or you love flying stuff orr you love both.

I have to say I am wandering in no particular direction in this hobby, taking up any interesting challenge, and persevering until I have at least understood the challenge, if not mastered it..

Its all for fun isn't it?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:08 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
I love scratch building, but my projects proceed at a snail's pace. I just don't have enough hours in my life.

My list of flyable models shows two groups :

- High quality performance ARF's like my FVK Prima & Mini Prima (both capable of 1 hour flights)

- High quality sports ARF's like my Easy Star & Twin Star.

Yes, there really are GOOD ARF's out there !

More than 1 scratch built model per year is currently not possible. My Halifax has been on the go for over 2 years and my Transall for 3.

Roll on retirement. The list of scratchies is already in place :

Avro Lincoln

Miles Martinet

Miles Master II

Maybe a Stirling................
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:12 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
For many years, I was always able to find the kit or plans for projects I wanted to build. Then one day, I realized that I wanted to build a particular subject and at a particular scale that nobody had EVER done.
That's when I got started and self-taught myself to use AutoCad to design and draw plans.

To say that one would or wouldn't "go back" to building from plans or a kit isn't so obvious, because even though I am now quite capable and find drawing my own very easy, I sure wouldn't spend the time doing so if the model I wanted to build were available as a kit or plans.

The thing is, if you've been in the hobby long enough, you tend to run out of things already designed that interest you. That means that most of the things you want to do aren't available as kits or plans so you just go ahead and start drawing it yourself.
Once you've learned the process (CAD), it only takes a few hours total in order to end up with a set of drawings that are ready to build from.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:51 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,067 Posts
One reason I always build from scratch (and sometimes even draw a rough plan) is that the model ends up the way it should be as a kit or (barf) ARF. You choose the wood you'll use, you choose how to engineer it for both strength and lightness, you choose the features you think it should have. Then when it flies and exceeds all your expectations the labour is more than worthwhile.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,381 Posts
Scratching is nice.
ARFs are nice.
Kits are nice.
As long as they fly, who cares what the source?
It's the -flying- that matters!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Aug 11, 2005, 01:38 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Horses for courses, and I agree with Tim and Vintage about the process of creating something you've imagined, drawn up, (either in CAD or MS Paint, doesn't matter to me, as they all eventually fly..) built , covered and finally succeeded in commiting aviation with. Although I don't float-fly my scratchbuilt balsa models, the Pigi-3d gets that honor.

HEY! we should get credit for posting on-topic here!!
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 01:15 PM
Netherlands
Joined Jul 2003
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Well you either love crafting stuiff or you love flying stuff orr you love both.
In essence it all comes down to this indeed! I love both, but not equally as much.
Igwe Aneke is offline Find More Posts by Igwe Aneke
Old Aug 12, 2005, 01:30 PM
CLUB GITMO
Little Rock National Airport
Joined Nov 2003
704 Posts
Once you go scratch, you don't go back?
It all depends on what you have scratched, and what you are going to do when you are finished.
Sunspot is offline Find More Posts by Sunspot
Old Aug 18, 2005, 01:31 AM
Tryin 2 get in2 slot cars
Viktoria, British Kolumbia, Kanada
Joined Feb 2005
410 Posts
I like scratch building but my patience is lacking. I have a ton of ideas but sometimes I don't have the patience to see them to completion.
I like kits.
I like rtf.

I think my favourite, all things considered, is taking a simple kit and modifying it to maximize a single factor and putting some new features on it.
jay flay tway is offline Find More Posts by jay flay tway