HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2005, 10:49 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Can anyone help me figure this out...

OK, bought a brand new Thunder Power 1320 today and since it was new I thought for it's first charge I would charger it at .5A Well, 10 minutes after the charge started she started swelling, BADLY! I unhooked it from the charger and threw it out in my back yard. A couple of seconds later, it happened, a big fireball. All I have left is about 1 inch of the battery leads. It was a 3 cell pack, 1320 mAh, and I had my charger set on 3 cell and .5A WHAT HAPPENED! I just watched $50 bucks burn. Can anyone tell me what went wrong? Is there anyway I can get TP to provide me a replacement. This truely sucks I guess I should be thankfull that I was watching the charger and got it out of my house before she exploded. It truely scared the crap out of me.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Last edited by av8ersteve; Aug 10, 2005 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2005, 11:14 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Truly a scary story. What charger was that? Not that I believe the charger is the culprit here, it's just an inquiring mind wanting to know. Did you monitor voltage at the beginning of the charge cycle?
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:10 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
The charger was an E-Flight Celectra, and no I didn't monitor the voltage. Guess I'm getting lazy for I should have. I have jumped right back on the horse that bucked me and I have succesfuly charged 2 more packs on this charger. This is the first time this has ever happened and I'm begining to believe it was just a faulty battery. I guess we can't get it right 100% of the time.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:36 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,104 Posts
You should have put "ThunderPower in the title so the TP people would read it. Try searching for TP 1320, there have been some other swelled on receipt problems and the customer support number for TP was given.
Good luck...
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy