HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2005, 03:40 PM
Love them Micro RC's.
Golden (corn fields), Illinois
Joined Jan 2003
131 Posts
Incase you haven't seen it, those of you who are wanting BR-like stability but at a smaller size might want to check out the Airlark Mechanically it's almost the exact same as the bladerunner, but at a smaller scale, and cheaper.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.
Gfunk is offline Find More Posts by Gfunk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2005, 03:42 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,041 Posts
its an illegal clone unfortunately.
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Aug 17, 2005, 04:56 PM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
ehm, i think we need to move away from bladerunners/clones a bit if its going to get into the patent/legal discussion...

anyways, for whatever its worth, i will be testing a little foam and balsa stick plane later, using a unidentified but itty-BITty reciever. just wondering how power systems work in MA... smaller planes .

torque from the prop didnt seem to affect it much, if at all, although the bit reciever is not fet modded.

beano
beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman
Old Aug 17, 2005, 06:46 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,041 Posts
no worries Beano, i'm not interested in getting into those kinds of discussions. i was just pointing it out. anyway, back to the subject at hand...

nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Aug 18, 2005, 04:01 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Patents are off topic, they do not prevent a hobbiest from producing their own version anyway. Petter did not patent teetering, there is more to his design then just the hinging but that too is off topic.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Aug 18, 2005, 05:11 AM
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
Some more info on the contra cd-rom setup. Its been done before, but not for a heli as far as i know....

Andy
ajm201 is offline Find More Posts by ajm201
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
any one have any Symmetrical airfoils in dxf or 3ds

thanks aerogel
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Aug 18, 2005, 05:07 PM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
342 Posts
30 grams indoor flying robot ...

http://www.primidi.com/2005/08/18.html

Seems very interesting! Also, it points to a paper from EPFL (ecole polytechnique federale de lausanne). If I'm correct, Jean-Daniel Nicoud is a professor at EPFL, he is better known as the founder of Didel (http://www.didel.com).

Johan
nanoflite is offline Find More Posts by nanoflite
Old Aug 18, 2005, 09:18 PM
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
Bluetooth

I too ran across these nifty projects. What really peaked my interest was the bluetooth system. First, it is tiny...that is why we are all here. Second, it is an alternative to the more traditional controlers. Third, it can actually send back data to a computer which opens up a whole new arena for us to play with microsensors. Battery monitoring! Impact detection! Plane recovery. Fourth, just the idea of being able to control the plane with my laptop is almost too stimulating!

I don't know why there hasn't been much to do about this technology.

From what I understand there are two Bluetooth standards...the one most people use with their phones has a very short range but the other...the other was impressive...I thought it was something like 300ft? Regardless, it was impressive. Bluetooth supports up to what, 7, devices? You could control your own indoor airforce...have the computer be able to 'replay' a control sequence...do a stunt once...the computer can reproduce it.

I think it was Panasonic that put a 'toy' on the market overseas that was an bluetooth rc car that was designed to use a cellphone as the tx. Never caught on.

Off topic of planes, I implemeted a system from www.phidgets.com that is a USB sensor/controller system for my server room. Off the shelf sensors and we built our own water sensor. We monitor the envionment with our computer for an investment of about $130. Slightly related to this dissertation.

Soooo close but yet so far!
tskunka is offline Find More Posts by tskunka
Old Aug 25, 2005, 02:22 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Saw a brief article on MSNBC's website today about Mujahid Abdulrahim's wing morphing MAV.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9069342/

Over in the MAV resources thread, FLY...Please (John) posted a link to Mujahid's masters thesis on this.

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:29 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharms
Saw a brief article on MSNBC's website today about Mujahid Abdulrahim's wing morphing MAV.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9069342/

Over in the MAV resources thread, FLY...Please (John) posted a link to Mujahid's masters thesis on this.

Mark
That's nuthin'! I was doing wing morphing in the '70's.

Admittedly the wings all morphed when I either pulled too many g's or hit the ground.

But that's beside the point.

I'll bet someone could use the Sweeny sailwing design to morph. It'd be like reefing in a sail.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:28 AM
state college, pa
Joined Aug 2002
326 Posts
Guys,
Have any of you seen this yet?
http://www1.eps.gov/spg/ODA/DARPA/CM...6/listing.html

NAV's?

Ben
RC_AV8R_181 is offline Find More Posts by RC_AV8R_181
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:04 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Nov 2003
344 Posts
I have heard that DARPA was starting up this, but this is the first public notification I believe. DARPA probably do not want to deal with people outside the US, but my 6 cm Picoflyer helicopter almost already meet the size target, however still a long way to go on speed and range. I guess I will send them an email anyway.

Petter
petter is offline Find More Posts by petter
Old Aug 29, 2005, 07:20 PM
Gainesville, FL USA
Joined Jul 2001
23 Posts
morphing MAV research

mharms,

Thanks for posting the link to the article. I've been trying to track down who has picked up the report of the wire, and I'm pretty impressed. We've seen about 87 websites (mostly news, some blogs) that have featured all or part of the press release on the gull-wing MAVs. I was also surprised to see my thesis linked from rcgroups. I guess that accounts for the 150 or so people who view it each month.

Interestingly, we just served over a terrabyte of data since the article came out. We've been slashdotted, put on Discovery, National Geographic, and on several other high-profile news sites.

I suppose that my work doesn't fall under the category of 'MAVs' according to this thread, but as a researcher in the field it's evident that the strict definition of a MAV is very much self-imposed and varies depending upon the institution and the circumstances. It's sufficient for me that the airplanes I work with have 'MAV-like' structural, aerodynamic, and dynamic properties.

DARPA has recently revised their definition of a MAV to incorporate vehicles much larger than the original 6", as RC_AV8R_181 pointed out.

dapple63, your claim to morphing in the 60s is hilarious! Perhaps we should distinguish between the intentional morphing, which gives rise to variable dynamics and performance metrics, and the unintentional morphing, which requires a broom and a trashbag to contain.
Mujahid is offline Find More Posts by Mujahid
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:07 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
A long while back I was thinking on picking up a Bluetooth Bit-car (Ericsson CAR-100) and messing with it... PopSci also had an article about putting WiFi antenna principles to the Bluetooth devices.. Same frequency! http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Ericsson-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, a bit off topic... This is awesome for a base! http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHST2&P=7
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Last edited by Pete P; Aug 30, 2005 at 12:14 AM.