HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:08 AM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
147 grams! that must be a real bullet. but, it does look like it will work out for you. how fast does that go when doing just normal, level flight?

heres my new airframe- i got tired of the twitchy ol disk, so i went and looked at some old airframes, and found a 9 or so inch span profile bipe. cut the wings down to a bit under 6 inches, and it is a tad under 6 inches long with the rudder and prop added on. weight is 13 grams, it seems to preform something like the wattage micro flyer- the first time i got a stable test flight inside, just flying into the couch, it immediatly reminded me of the wamf. well, same equiptment as the old mav- bit rx, bit coil, bit magnet, with 140 mah kokam and dd superslick orange. bit rx on one side of the fuse, kokam on the other. i sure am getting alot of usage out of this equiptment- especially considering it cost me $19.50 if i remember correctly.

beano

beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,031 Posts
Much nicer, Beano (although I still liked the other just fine).

What is the 1000 meter radar cross section on your new design? It would be interesting to know the thermal and acoustic signature as well.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Aug 12, 2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
dapple63 don't think Beano has a bicoms in his back yard : )

beano Im going to try to get out a low cost Mav this weekend

Btw If you do have one Beano can I borrow it for a weekend....I do make a
excellent road kill Gumbo : )
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Aug 13, 2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Started working on my first Mirco Uav 6 inch's and component placement
will use a embedded molded process
EDF with 3d Nozzel
two Plantraco’s Sub Gram receivers 6 channels
no doubt this is going to take some time..
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:17 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
wow that's gonna be awesome!
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Aug 13, 2005, 08:23 PM
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2005
354 Posts
I wonder why the delta need two acuators on one evelon?Maximum manubillty?
vener is offline Find More Posts by vener
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:30 PM
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
notice that it is actually 1 actuator for each of the 4 elevons(ailerons? dunno..).

aerogel, that sure is nice.. are those 60 mah cells, or 20 mah? also, how do you plan on controling it? my only guess is using two seperate tx and rx.. "teams", for lack of a better word, but how will you manage to handle that? you must have figured out something.....

beano
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:02 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
i think you could opperate both RXs with one TX as long as they were on the same frequency. i'm curious as to know what the extra set of elevons is for. airbrakes? a guy named Chuck modified an F-27 Stryker to have an extra set of elevons (just cut left and right elevons in half, four servos total) and did some serious mixing on his TX so he could opperate the elevons as airbrakes when needed, but he could also switch it so the cut elevons acted as one, or even have airbrakes while still being able to have elevon control. he showed how he did the mixing setup, it was rather extesive.

for as fast as these MAVs seem to be, airbrakes might not be such a bad idea, maybe more control in those "controlled crash landings."

its an interesting idea, hope it works out

nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Vener yes Maximum maneuverability for multi roll configurations
My thinking is to come up with a signal platform that can be configured for multi roll
Operations
Instead of building 10 different Micro Uav’s I would like to have a base platform
That I can configure for each task

Reconnaissance Speed
Get to the target take your pictures a get the out

Capture/assimilate other mav’s
Could be as simple as a web or some kind of tether
or the mav itself could be some kind of tracking device
When it attaches it self to a larger Target
“Btw I watch my nephew the other night capture a bat with some spider man toy gear he
Had I found the whole thing most amusing and must have missed this issue : )”

Fighter
Maximum Maneuverability when you can’t capture…Take what ever it is out

Bomber/Cargo
Could be something as simple as dropping off a shot of Medicine for medical emergencies
or Vs versa

So they could be elevons , ailerons, elevators, Dive breaks, Etc
60 mah cells in the picture
I used two zip zap receivers and Tran’s before work out just fine to control on board functions and power plants what I really need is 12 channels at this size..
Last edited by aerogel; Aug 14, 2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:44 AM
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2005
354 Posts
Is it going to be a pusher,puller,edf?cuz I din't see any poplusion system.The motors have to be very powerful yet light to achive the Cargo thingy.Twin m20 edfs?just kidding.
That thing is gonna be unstopable in DARPA once you finish it.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Vener Edf But it can use a Prop to It all so is STOVL.. Still Working out the bit's and pieces Here is a prototype chuck version of it... need's lots more work but very happy with the design so far
Had to Paint it can not stand the color of selitac : )
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:47 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,031 Posts
All kinds of ideas (don't know if any are good) start to come to mind for multi-role MAV's.

Remember those "radar" chips that Livermore developed? The idea was that someday we'd have handheld, ultra-short range radars that could look through walls? They were thinking of building SAR applications.

For hostage assessment and intelligence gathering, I'll bet you could mount one on the belly and either overfly or even land on the structure you want to image. I'll bet the electronics required to transmit the data are too large right now.

Also, we think of MAV's as being stealthy, but there might be times when you want a MAV to look real big on radar or IR to make a decoy (strangely, that might be hard to do).

You might even be able to mount a laser emitter on one to literally recon and then fly in and mark a target (by landing on or near it) - sort of a cheap electronic flare that doesn't work in the visible light spectrum.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:37 AM
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2005
354 Posts
I dont think radar will refuse to show/bounce off somthing this small plus radar will not detect it if it fly low enough.furthermore its almost invisible to the naked eye if you go very fast as long its not loud.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
that would definatly be a plus to a very small ornithopter- if it was even sligtly realistic, it would simply be passed off as a real bird without a second thought..

but i think it would be extremely difficult to build a 6 inch span ornithopter that can carry a payload a decent distance. i know i wont bother to try .

beano
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:20 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,763 Posts
Come on guys. How about building something that flies first. Then you can start to worry about radar signature later on.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot