SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2005, 12:05 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Question
What's your favorite 3-view? High-wing, for a beginner...

Hi guys;

I believe, for my next project, and to test out my new foam cutter, I'd like to develop a high-wing monoplane that will make a good first airplane for my buddies who'd like to go flying with me.

The end result will probably be 13 - 14" WS and use GWS-LPS power with micro servos.

A nice 2-view or 3-view will get me on my way, so I'd like to ask what's your favorite high-wing plane?

Thanks!
Dan.
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2005, 01:21 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
The 13 - 14 inch wingspan seems really small for a first timer to see correctly. It will also have quick response which a beginner may never be able to keep up with. If possible, I would go with at least a 30 inch wingspan. One of the all time havorite high wings is the Bird Dog, but I am sure there are more original choices out there. Good Luck.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Aug 09, 2005, 07:46 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Taylorcraft got my vote as far as looks goes. You can make a flat wing underneath instead of the semi-symetrical airfoil for easier flying characteristics. Super Decathlon pretty nice also.

I too recommend 30+ inches, more likely 40 inches. A typical plane for people to learn by themselves has some dihedral built into the wing and flies rudder-elevator. At larger scale, the above mentionned Birdog is a milder flying plane than the Taylorcraft, but with small semi-scale electrics, there might not be that big a difference from one high wing to another. The biggest question IMO is whether to dihedral or not.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Aug 09, 2005, 07:52 PM
Pickering, Ontario
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
A really good starter plane for IPS power is the STC. Plans can be found here in the 'Foamies' forum. It's a nice gentle fly that almost takes off and lands on it's own. Once in the air, I've handed the radio to total strangers after giving them the total instruction set of 'just steer it by moving the right contol left or right.'

I haven't yet made one, but I suspect the 'thatovalguy bird dog' would serve equally well. Plans also here in 'Foamies'.

I'm also really enjoying an upsized version of the 'Rascal 18' from the 1950s Jigtime plans. Those plans can be found at http://www.parmodels.com/Plans/jigtime.htm. Mine came out to a 27" wingspan. With only an IPS S2 power plant and a GWS 7060 prop it's still pretty fast at 27" and could even be scaled up a bit more to settle it down. It's a very pretty plane. If (when) I break this one, I'll build another.

GIAS
Glu it again Sam is offline Find More Posts by Glu it again Sam
Old Aug 09, 2005, 08:25 PM
Mocking Birds
VA
Joined Apr 2004
301 Posts
GIAS, Any chance we could see a picture of your Rascal?
t1mux is offline Find More Posts by t1mux
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:39 PM
Pickering, Ontario
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mux
GIAS, Any chance we could see a picture of your Rascal?
No problem. The 'struts' are a little saggy since they're just a piece of string that's taped from one wing, under the fuselage to the other wing. It tightens up when the plane's in the air.

A new nose has been spliced on since a small incident with a goal post. It still flies very nicely.

GIAS
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:18 AM
Mocking Birds
VA
Joined Apr 2004
301 Posts
Great looking plane! I guess I need to add that one to the build list.

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:11 AM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
I agree!!!!!great looking plane and awesome classic lines.Except for the propeller,it almost looks scale.Nice painting job!.Did the plans make it into a full body or did you modify them?I bet it is a great little flyer.How often do you have to retape the wings flying in this heat?Thanks, Dave
9LIVES1968 is offline Find More Posts by 9LIVES1968
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:04 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykrdan
Hi guys;

I believe, for my next project, and to test out my new foam cutter, I'd like to develop a high-wing monoplane that will make a good first airplane for my buddies who'd like to go flying with me.

The end result will probably be 13 - 14" WS and use GWS-LPS power with micro servos.

A nice 2-view or 3-view will get me on my way, so I'd like to ask what's your favorite high-wing plane?

Thanks!
Dan.
OK I give, after reading a bunch of posts with it in there, I have to ask the noob question, what's a '3-view'
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:08 PM
Mocking Birds
VA
Joined Apr 2004
301 Posts
Three Views
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:28 PM
Pickering, Ontario
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9LIVES1968
I agree!!!!!great looking plane and awesome classic lines.Except for the propeller,it almost looks scale.Nice painting job!.Did the plans make it into a full body or did you modify them?I bet it is a great little flyer.How often do you have to retape the wings flying in this heat?Thanks, Dave
The plans are for a full fuselage. Initially I didn't give proper consideration to the landing gear mount plate, so the one in the picture is 2nd generation and doesn't integrate into the plane as well as I would like, but at least it's solid. I agree 100% about the ugly prop. The 'paint' is actually a couple of small strips of sign vinyl that were cut with a xacto knife and straight edge...low-tech but it worked. The scotch tape on the wing struts peeled pretty quick, but the fiberglass re-enforced stuff is sticking much better.

GIAS
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:30 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
GIAS,thanks for the reply.I looked on that site and the vagabond looks like it would be a great little flyer too!!Great site for plans and planes.How did you scale up the tiled pdf's?
9LIVES1968 is offline Find More Posts by 9LIVES1968
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:14 AM
Pickering, Ontario
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9LIVES1968
GIAS,thanks for the reply.I looked on that site and the vagabond looks like it would be a great little flyer too!!Great site for plans and planes.How did you scale up the tiled pdf's?

Once again...low tech. I used a photocopier to take everything up to 11 x 17 paper, then got out the scissors and tape.

GIAS