SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2005, 12:54 PM
Naples, FL
Joined Jul 2005
497 Posts
Gain setting up high for tail control?

Has anyone messed with their 4-in-1 gain trimmer pot on the HB2 or Blade? Does the gain setting as high as it goes keep the tail somewhat solid during flight (hovering strictly). As opposed to the setting low, making the tail twitch more quickly?
neuroblade is offline Find More Posts by neuroblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2005, 12:57 PM
Usually underground in Virginia
Joined Oct 2004
395 Posts
The Blade manual says to set it all the way up if you're only gonna do hovering. I did, and developed a tail twitch. I turned the gain back down a bit and it settled down.
VACaver is offline Find More Posts by VACaver
Old Aug 09, 2005, 01:06 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
I've set my gain all the way up and had slight twitching issues.
Then I set it all the way down and quickly discovered that I shouldn't do that! (you'll have a real fight on your hands if you do that!)

Set it all the way up, then back it off about 1/4 turn. That seems like a good starting point when trimming mine.

Make sure to trim the heli in a steady hover out of ground effect. Get the proportional set FIRST so you aren't struggling with rudder all the time.
beemer is offline Find More Posts by beemer
Old Aug 09, 2005, 01:09 PM
Naples, FL
Joined Jul 2005
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACaver
The Blade manual says to set it all the way up if you're only gonna do hovering. I did, and developed a tail twitch. I turned the gain back down a bit and it settled down.
VACaver,

When you say a bit, are you talking about decreasing it about one hour (eg: from 10 to 9 o'clock)?
Old Aug 09, 2005, 01:11 PM
Naples, FL
Joined Jul 2005
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
Then I set it all the way down and quickly discovered that I shouldn't do that! (you'll have a real fight on your hands if you do that!)

Set it all the way up, then back it off about 1/4 turn. That seems like a good starting point when trimming mine.

Make sure to trim the heli in a steady hover out of ground effect. Get the proportional set FIRST so you aren't struggling with rudder all the time.
Appreciate that beemer.
Old Aug 09, 2005, 02:11 PM
Naples, FL
Joined Jul 2005
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer

beemer,

So, my gain setting cannot be determined with the heli on the ground? Reason I ask, won't the heli still react to the setting with almost enough throttle to lift off (light on the skids)?
Old Aug 09, 2005, 03:05 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroblade
So, my gain setting cannot be determined with the heli on the ground? Reason I ask, won't the heli still react to the setting with almost enough throttle to lift off (light on the skids)?
Yes and no. It will react, but the heli will have so much vibration caused from it sitting on the ground, turbulence from downwash etc. It really needs to be off it's feet and out of ground effect. Also, in rotor wash you'll have swirling air which can try and push the tail to the side. Once you're up about 3 or 4 feet you'll have relatively clean air to trim in.
You "can" adjust the proportional on the ground, but it will only be "close". Just as it get's light on it's feet you should be able to tell how much, and in what direction, you have to use rudder to keep things from turning. Adjust the proportional until you can almost lift off with no rudder inputs. THEN you can adjust the gain.

With the gain turned all the way down you better watch out, 'cause that tail will be whipping around like a loose fire-hose!

I agree with VACaver. I have my gain turned up pretty high. I like it that way because it keep the tail pretty tame. I tried flying it outside in a bit of a breeze with very bad results...with the gain turned up the heli is very slow to react ends up doing some spectacular weed-wacking!
beemer is offline Find More Posts by beemer
Last edited by beemer; Aug 09, 2005 at 03:17 PM.