HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2002, 12:14 PM
www.dynamoelectrics.com
United States, TN, Collierville
Joined Sep 2001
261 Posts
My Python Project

Here is a picture of my Python.

I increased the size to a 32" wingspan in order to accomidate a Magnetic Mayhem and 8xCP1300s.

This was my first scratch built project, and although it turned out a little rough, the design was great! For simplicity and for a little more wing area, I went with full length ailerons and a servo in each wing. I also made the top hatch full legth for easier access to the motor.

My original power system was a speed 400 4.8 with a 2.5:1 GB, but this did not provide enough power, so I switched to the MM with a 6x5 prop. Now it absolutely rocks! This thing is very fast and does great aerobatics for about 5 1/2 minutes.

I am very pleased with the stability of the airframe. At stall, it has no evil tendencies. The nose just mushes down until it picks up speed. I was concerned about building the wing, but it was very easy and came out straight.

The only down side is that landings are a little hot, but well within limits.

Thanks for the great design Mark. I hope to build another in the future.
Chuck
squelchF18 is offline Find More Posts by squelchF18
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2002, 04:34 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Jan 2002
334 Posts
It looks awesome! What is the ready-to-fly weight of your Python?

Also, how are you holding the wing to the fuselage? Are you using dowels and rubber bands, or did you permanently glued the wing to the fuse?

Flying Cat
Flying Cat is offline Find More Posts by Flying Cat
Old Apr 30, 2002, 05:39 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,145 Posts
Your welcome.
Must be on the heavy side huh?
What cells are you using?
The best setup, for weight/costs/ performance, has been the 6 volt motor 0n 8 600 AE or 500 AR cells.
The Dymond Nighthawk480 is also a good one.Never thought you could squeeze a MM in there!

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Apr 30, 2002, 10:10 PM
www.dynamoelectrics.com
United States, TN, Collierville
Joined Sep 2001
261 Posts
I don't know the weight, but a wild guess would be between 25-30 oz. It is heavy.

I originally glued the wing on, like the plans called for, but when I widened the body to fit the MM, I decided to use the dowel/rubber band method because I knew the landings would be fast and hopefully that will help prevent breaking the wing.

Mark. It is quite heavy, but it almost flies right out of my hand, so launches are easier then they were with the lighter motors. I tried a dymond 480 Nighthawk, and it flew pretty good, but not anywhere near as good as with the MM. This thing is really fast. I have never flown a real good pylon plane, but it is faster then my MM Zagi that I cut down to 35". I would guess about 70mph, but that too is a wild guess. With the 6x5 it also has very good vertical performance as well as speed. I am flying it with 8xCP1300 and 8x1400AEs. The CPs give a little better performance and are considerably cooler at the end of the flight.

I would have to challenge your weight/cost/performance assessment. I am hooked on the MM for performance/dollar. I have tried this plane, a Zagi, and a Simple 400, and have just not been impressed with the speed 400 birds. I would like to see a fast pylon racer and wedgie fly. Everyone says they are fast, but everyone also said that the Simple was a great airplane, and I was disappointed.

Thanks for the compliments. I urge you guys to try out this set up. When every I crash this one, I plan on stuffing a MM into my Simple 400. Talk about high wing loading...

Chuck
squelchF18 is offline Find More Posts by squelchF18
Old May 01, 2002, 09:54 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,198 Posts
Re: My Python Project

Quote:
Originally posted by squelchF18
The only down side is that landings are a little hot, but well within limits.
Chuck,

If you have a decent radio, try programming the ailerons as flaperons. When you pull the flaps/ailerons out, it will slow down a lot.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor