HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2005, 12:23 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Data
CBA TP ProLite 1320 Been around the block

This one has been flown in many aircraft under a wide range of loads.

A third graph has been added. I forgot to add the final temperatures to graph #3. @ end od discharge 1.09Ah 123F. One minute latter, point in time where I would check after flight temp. 124F. after setting for an addational 1 min. 122F.

F.Y.I. Just a side note which may be of interest.I decided to check the accuracy of my Sear Model # 82062 clamp on amp. meter during this last 8A test and it read 8.2Amp. Not bad for a $50 multi purpose DVM . Another note this DVM reads 0.07V high in the 12.5V area but was not used for voltage measurments.

Added for clarification. Prior to last CBA Graph #3 test pack was toped off on TP-425 Charger. A Fast 2A charge on the 1010C would never provide a 12.59 open volts as show on graph data. All of my CBA testing is with fully charged 4.19 plus volts per cell LiPolys.

4-13-06 Well the poor little abused by way of a severe over discharge TP PL 3S 1320 just keeps on hanging on.
Flown this morning on a 3S Faomie for 10 min. /984 mAh used for an in-flight average of 5.9 amps.
This was discharge number 143 , 30 cycles since over-discharge and the last 29 charges at 2A ( approx 1.5C)rate on TP 1010C . This battery now at 11.1 open after flight shows an imbalance of 0.015 normaly and 0.010 after being charged.
One cell swelled ever so slightly when it was deep discharged and has remained the same. Very few would ever notice such a slight degree of swelling. It takes a stright edge to tell the difference between the # 1 swelled cell and a normal cell.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 06, 2006 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added graph for Dsch # 125
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2005, 01:37 PM
WORK!
Joined Jul 2002
407 Posts
Thanks Charles,
Could you make a guesstimate of the number of charge/discharge cycles over the four months of use?
Thanks,
Howard
hweird is offline Find More Posts by hweird
Old Aug 07, 2005, 02:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hweird
Thanks Charles,
Could you make a guesstimate of the number of charge/discharge cycles over the four months of use?
Thanks,
Howard
It is on the graph ( in the Legend on the right hand side)Dsch # 48 means this is the 48 th. discharge cycles on this battery. I have a bunch of 850 - 1500 mAh LiPolys which get flown on most of my aircraft so each pack tends not to get used as much ,especially when I am also testing other packs in the same size range.

Note: The graph Legend is correct. Better volts under load and greater capacity at dsch. # 48 than at dsch # 6 and yet some still question if LiPolys really need to be broken in.
Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 07, 2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2005, 02:42 PM
United States, IA, Onawa
Joined Nov 2003
1,439 Posts
Thanks for the update Charles!
I’m glad to see the pro-lites are holding up great, and it looks like they truly deserve their burst ratings. The other packs burst capability is a little questionable though.
I couldn’t be happier with my 1320 PL’s at this point. Flying them at 5C average & 12C burst, I’m guessing they’re going to last me a very long time.

Jim
IA-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by IA-Flyer
Old Aug 07, 2005, 02:59 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Hi Jim,
They just keep impressing me big time. Two 1320 ProLites should last you a while. I have six of them and a bunch of other miscellaneous Li POlys in the size range from 850-1500 mAh.
I considered buying a few more packs while
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/rc-.../Items/423214?
is having such a great sale on them but I may never live long enough to use up the ones I have now.
I had another LiPoly vendor tell me the other day ,just wait until we release our new improved LiPolys.
Sure are a lot who talk the talk but few who walk the walk.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 07, 2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2005, 04:14 PM
United States, IA, Onawa
Joined Nov 2003
1,439 Posts
Yep, me too.
I almost feel bad about not(!) spending money on my hobby at this point. I fly two planes (and six lipo's) almost every evening, and things just work.

After seeing the power, consistency, and your lifespan graphs of the PL 1320’s, I think I’ll buy a second pair.
Then I can use them individually or 2p for the occasional times I fly a bigger plane.
The problem is, a second pair would cut the number of discharges per year, per pack, in half.
I wouldn’t “need” replacement lipo’s for 4+ years (1200+ flights with this plane), something about that just seems wrong.
Old Aug 07, 2005, 06:41 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Better volts under load and greater capacity at dsch. # 48 than at dsch # 6 and yet some still question if LiPolys really need to be broken in.
Charles
Thats fairly amazing all things considered. Thanks for the info.

-Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Aug 27, 2005, 01:27 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Post # 1 updated with graph through discharge # 76.

Charles
Old Aug 27, 2005, 01:56 PM
United States, IA, Onawa
Joined Nov 2003
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Post # 1 updated with graph through discharge # 76.

Charles
You fly to much.
OMG, that's a nice cycle graph!

Jim
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:39 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA-Flyer
You fly to much.
OMG, that's a nice cycle graph!

Jim
Thanks JIm,
That's only 27 flights on that pack in 20 days but then I do have more than one pack.
Looks like you and I are the only ones making a serious attempt at using up out LiPolys.
I need to start flying more. I checked my storage bin and I still have new or as new, 2 PQ 3S 850s,1 PQ 3S 1100, 2 E tech 3S 1250 HPs, 3. 3S Etech 3S 1200 classic 1 TP Gen 2 1320 5 3S TP ProLites 1320 and those are just the ones purchased since last fall that are between 850-1320 mAh that have not been flown more than a few flights. My dialy flyers are in a seperate box and there are a few in it also much less the very special ones I purchased last year that I gave up trying to use due to such poor performance.

Charles
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:30 PM
sloping addict
France
Joined Feb 2003
1,536 Posts
Looks like the first Lipoly that does not loose capacity over time ?!!!
Very interesting. Some real progress in the internals of the cells must have been made. Thanks ! keep it going.
I also noted that the size of these packs / the 2100 in particular, allow to use more of them in fuses with limited space, seems the volumetric density has been improved also. I found out that where I could only consider 4S3P from other brands I could fit up to 6S4P in same fuse. Given the price of such, I will stick to SubC NimH for the time being for a 2000W setup, but for 3D parflyiers 3S1P I know where my money will now be going.

It will be especially interesting to see how such a pack finally dies (still a slow degradation, or some sudden death?).
...proto
Protocooler is offline Find More Posts by Protocooler
Old Aug 28, 2005, 02:15 AM
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
France
Joined Feb 2000
3,585 Posts
I have also a set of these TP prolite 1320 in 6S2P. I use them @ 10C avg in flight. I got 36 cycles so far and they are perfect....
luc is offline Find More Posts by luc
Old Aug 28, 2005, 07:30 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocooler
Looks like the first Lipoly that does not loose capacity over time ?!!!
Very interesting. Some real progress in the internals of the cells must have been made. Thanks ! keep it going.
I also noted that the size of these packs / the 2100 in particular, allow to use more of them in fuses with limited space, seems the volumetric density has been improved also. I found out that where I could only consider 4S3P from other brands I could fit up to 6S4P in same fuse. Given the price of such, I will stick to SubC NimH for the time being for a 2000W setup, but for 3D parflyiers 3S1P I know where my money will now be going.

It will be especially interesting to see how such a pack finally dies (still a slow degradation, or some sudden death?).
...proto
I first flew a 3S 730 ProLite on Dec.31. '04. It has been graphed and posted here numerious times. It now has over 350 flights on it. Yes it started to have noticable capacity lose betweeen flights 200 and 300.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=156

Charles
Old Aug 28, 2005, 05:35 PM
San Francisco
Joined Apr 2004
950 Posts
Hi Charles:

Kudos for posting your data - your cells are well up in cycle count now, and your data shows very robust performance. As folks have been saying here, I'm also very pleased with the performance of the ProLites.

There's a temperature range indicated (in red on one plot and green on the other), presumably for the 48th and 76th discharges. Do you also have the approximate start/end temp for the black curves?

Grant
gadzby is offline Find More Posts by gadzby
Old Aug 28, 2005, 05:56 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzby
Hi Charles:

Kudos for posting your data - your cells are well up in cycle count now, and your data shows very robust performance. As folks have been saying here, I'm also very pleased with the performance of the ProLites.

There's a temperature range indicated (in red on one plot and green on the other), presumably for the 48th and 76th discharges. Do you also have the approximate start/end temp for the black curves?

Grant
Text color matches test graph color and test name in legend. No I do not have temp data for that discharge. My cells / packs are always at room temperature at the start and room temp. ranges between 72-82F. I have never had a LiPoly over 128F after a flight. I dislike testing cells without cooling if they exceed 130 F as I feel it is unnecessarily hard on them. If I use forced cooling I include that data. If cells/packs stay within the normal range obtained during prior testing I often do not feel it necessary to include such details.
For those who are really into temperatures RB D includes temperatures for all of his test which are located in the Battery Graph Vault.
RD B ProLite 1320 CBA Graph here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...64&postcount=1
Thanks for your comments and interest.

charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 28, 2005 at 06:10 PM.