SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2005, 10:34 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
3DFoamy's T-38 Park Jet

Well to start out the Kit was shipped on Tuesday Aug.2nd via USPS and arrived Thurs. Aug. 4th Not bad for the USPS.

When I got home from work on thursday the package was waiting, so without haste I opened the big box and pulled out one nice big flat bag.

Inside the bag you'll find all lazer cut sheets of 6mm white Depron foam( and nicley done by the way). Also you will find a plastic sheet (lazer cut) containg all of the control horns and elevator shaft bushings. Then you will also see the lazer cut plywood section which contains the motor mout and two spacers(for the elevator shaft) and a control horn for the elevator.

And last which I found to be a really great thing, is a complete CD-ROM containg every plane and plans that 3DFoamy makes.
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2005, 10:45 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Now to start with the construction....... First pull out the sheet of Depron that contains the front fuse sections.....two sides, bottom, four bulkheads and four doublers. See pic's
Old Aug 07, 2005, 10:50 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Next take the bottom doublers and line em' up with the bottom inside edges of the fuse sides. Glue em' in place. Once they are dry glue the bulk heads first on one side of the fuse. this part was really easy to do because the doublers have notches that the bulk heads fit into for easy alignment.
Old Aug 07, 2005, 10:55 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Then once all of those sections are dry, glue the opposite fuse side to the bulk heads. Now that being done you can line up the bottom and glue it on making sure that everything is square.
Old Aug 07, 2005, 11:12 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Now you can set the front section aside, locate the bottom aft fuse section and the two aft sides, also the doublers for the bottom inside edges and the ones for the top inside edges.
Star by glueing the sides to the bottom making sure to keep them both lined up with each other. A good way to do this is by starting at the back with one side glueint it completely on then take the other side punch out the elevator shaft hole in it and the other side insert the CF shaft through the holes and get it strait. Then glue the other side down while making sur that the shaft stays straight. Then glue in the bottom doublers.
Next assemble the motor mount-elevator servo mount. Use a center line on the bottom of the aft fuse and the CF shaft to line up the mount and glue it into place. Once that is done put the motor of your choice into the plane.( mine is a BP-21 Outrunner).Now you can install the elevator shaft and support bushings and control horn. Then install the servo and conect them. Next get the elevators out and groove the area for the shaft , level them and glue to the shaft. This is the best time to hook up the radio and get the elevator set up nice and level. Once that is done then glue in the upper inner doublers.
Old Aug 07, 2005, 11:37 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
The next steo I did was to join the front fuse section with the aft fuse section. This allows access for all of the glue joints. Then once that is dry locate the wing. Take the wing get the suplied CF tube and cut a slot in the wing for the tube and glue it into place. Now insert the wing into the fuse slot Measure it so that it lines up nicely from side to side,level and tip to back of the fuse.Glue it in place. Once the wing is dry take the flareons and bevel the leading edge and tape them on the wings. Now take two of the
supplied Plastic
control horns and put them together and then glue them into the slots in the flapperons. Now is also a good time to install the Flaperon servo's into there slots under the wing. Then hook em' up and get em' centered. At this point is when I installed all required radio gear. I put My rec. and esc into the center front section of the aft fuse just behind the TE of the wing. It's a good airflow area for the esc. When you have all of your hardware in and everything working then you can line up the aft section top and gle it on. Now you can Glue the turtle deck to the top aft and line up the verticle stab and glue it on also.
Old Aug 07, 2005, 11:53 AM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Then at this point you can do it one of three ways. The first is to get all of the canopy and nosecone sections and glue them all together and sand them down to shape or do like I did to speed up the process and to save on the glue. I took two chunks of 2 inch dow blue foam board and glued them together then outlined the canopy shape on them. Then I took my hand held wire cutter and cut as close to the lines as possible then snad and fit to the fuse. It took about ten min.'s to do this. I did the nose the same way. And the third way which I'm not sure if it will be offered is a clear canopy from 3DFoamy. They have em' for the 15 and the 18.
Hopefully they will make em' for the T-38 also.

Once the shape is good glue the nose on. Then mount the canopy. I put a cople of skewers into the front of the canopy and velcro at the bottom rear. Once that is done it's time to get the cg set, I started out at 4 inches from the leading edge with the Li-Po in the front of the fuse. Now that that is done I did some sanding of all corners to round it all out.
Last edited by Tow Man; Aug 07, 2005 at 12:09 PM. Reason: 16 to 15 change (ooops)
Old Aug 07, 2005, 12:02 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
I know I went through the build of this pretty quick but for anyone that has built any of the park jets they are all very similar in construction. Not to mention John of 3DFoamy did a great job of getting this kit put together.

As it stands with out the Li-Po it weighs in at a tad over 15oz's and dependind on which Li-Po I use it will be around 18oz's or a tad more.

Maiden will be today and video will follow as soon as my wife is ready.

John thanks again for letting me do this Betta build for you I am impressed. And if anyone has questions let me know or contact John at 3DFoamy.

Time to go flyng.

Tow Man
Old Aug 07, 2005, 12:04 PM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
Quote:
its 15 not 16, great biuld
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
Old Aug 07, 2005, 12:45 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Well that could not have gone any better. With the CG set at the 4 inch from the leading edge of the wing mark, I gave it full throttle and a good toss into the air and away it went climbing right up and at a good angle. Leveled it off and tested the elevator response which by the way is great then tessted the roll ability with a tad of up on the elevator and no problems at all. I just did two laps around the field because the wind is chopping away at about 10 to 13 mph with gusts that are higher. So I will wait until tonight to try and get some video. The wife was wacthing and is still amazed at how quick the build was and how well it flies. This is a great kit guys, well worth buying and I'm not just saying that because it was a free test build. This wasn't the first kit I've tested. Awhile back I did a kit for a company in the UK that I was not impressed with at all and For what they wanted for the kit was a joke. (______fly P-51 Miss America)So In short if there was anything wrong with this kit I would Have told you about it.

Thanks Again John and 3Dfoamy

Video is forthcoming...............

Tow Man
Old Aug 07, 2005, 12:55 PM
Recovering nitro addict
Everett,Washington
Joined May 2005
831 Posts
hey guys, heres a couple of pics of John's own t-38 w/ paint at the Bellair Electric fun fly yesterday, nice flying plane
papa38 is offline Find More Posts by papa38
Old Aug 07, 2005, 03:45 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Hey, John's looks great with paint.

While I am waiting for the wind to let up I decided to ad some basic color and stickers (courtesy of Jetset, thanks). It's nothing special but it will help with orientation when flying.

TM
Old Aug 07, 2005, 08:20 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
The wind just does not want to drop so I took some more time for panel lines

TM
Old Aug 07, 2005, 08:58 PM
sticky toed flyer
Methuen, Mass, United States
Joined Sep 2004
371 Posts
Wow TM you blew through that build. It looks great. I can't wait to see it fly.
Good luck.

Rick
reptilerick is offline Find More Posts by reptilerick
Old Aug 07, 2005, 09:03 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Hey rick, been awhile. I'm telling ya' these kit's are nice and easy.

Plus it help that I had a 3 day weekend.

TM