Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 30, 2002, 07:57 AM
R/C Addict for Life!!
Sterling/Rock Falls, Illinois, United States
Joined Oct 2001
547 Posts
Model Cad Anyone??

Anyone out there have and use ModelCad-any version? Looking to possibly buy it but would like to make sure it is stable and operates well over Win-98 platforms. I have some plans and ideas for projects, and a program like this would make my life easier and plans stage move quicker. Any info appreciated. D.M.
Darryl Miller is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Miller
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:50 AM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
Daryl,

Before you purchase ModelCAD you may want to download a free copy of PowerCAD LT+ at http://www.givemepower.com/ and obtain a free Product Key with just a simple e-mail. The web site autmated task appears to be broken, but they'll send you one via e-mail too. Just browse the FAQ for how to obtain a product key for users behind a firewall and that will provide a form and address to mail your request.

It's a commercial CAD program, not shareware, or freeware (with the associated bugs) and is free to the first 1 million customers. I have a copy myself.

Art
Arthur Knowles is offline Find More Posts by Arthur Knowles
Old Apr 30, 2002, 09:47 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Darryl
I've used DesignCAD in various forms for years - it used to pop up in geek mags for around $99.00 and is a very capable program. My one dabble with ModelCAD showed it to be a dismal sawn-off version and definitely not worth the price.

If you can pick up a freeby CAD program - what Arther suggests sounds a good deal - you'd be better off than with MCAD. If you're a dabbler, the first cheapo program you find and learn will do you. I happened to buy a cheap and early DesignCAD years ago, learned it easily, and then never managed to get the hang of other cheapy or freeby programs that others swear by!

The first DCAD release for Windows was utter garbage, very unstable and some commands never worked - so watch out for bargain out of date programs. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 30, 2002, 02:51 PM
Private Pilot, M20J Owner
Lake Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
86 Posts
QCAD

I have no ideal just how well this will work, but I have just finished loading a dfx plan into it. Looked pretty good. You're experience may differ. Nonetheless, it's a freebee for both Windows and Unix/Linux platforms. You can check it out here.
ThunderChicken is offline Find More Posts by ThunderChicken