SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2002, 03:43 AM
Kingston, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
132 Posts
Marcel Lahaie's Mirage 2000

http://www.mirage2000-model.com
Just thought maybe I would post a seperate thread on this topic. I am sure that the "mini" Mirage from Marcel could be converted to electric! I just talked to him last night and he is a super nice guy! Another thing you'll notice is that his prices are also very good! I can't wait to get mine, it should be here in a couple of days!

Myles
Jetset is offline Find More Posts by Jetset
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:03 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,316 Posts
I have one of these, tried to fly it once and managed to break it. It wasn't any fault of the plane but a combination of too wimpy a bungee, longish grass, no ramp and WAY too much elevator throw . You have rekindled my interest though and I just came out of the shop after a session glassing the bottoms of the wings.

The kit is nice and very light. Glass fuse and wire cut pink foam wing panels edged in balsa. Mine was something like 64 ounces with 14 1700 size cells, HW-620, and a Kontronik 500-21. There is about 400 square inches of wing. I didnt do anything to the wings and when it got airborne and reared up to a 90 degree angle of attack it landed on a wingtip and snapped the panel in a couple of pieces. I stuck them back together with epoxy and will glass the surfaces before I fly again. The pink foam wings are a bit of a puzzler to me - you need to glass them for durability and I'm not sure how much weight you will save over balsa panels with film covering. In its brief flight it showed plenty of power, almost managed to power out of a rediculous situation.

The batteries wind up in a coupled of sticks down in the corner of the fuse under the fan + a couple or three more cells forward. He gives you some glass sheet to use as a thrust tube - I tossed that and made a lighter tube out of drafting mylar from the art supply store.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old May 01, 2002, 04:00 AM
Kingston, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
132 Posts
Mirage

A friend of mine bought the .45 size kit just before I ordered and it looks like there may be some improvement over the earlier kits. I can't really say about the tiny kit but the mid size one has blue foam wings that come presheeted. When I was talking to Marcel he said he was going to send me two sets of wings-the regular foam sheeted plus a set of molded wings free of charge that he has been working on to get my opinion! This is his first attempt at molding wings but he said that sets he made after this are even better. I'll post my opinion on the molded wings when the kit arrives. Looks like kits may start coming with molded wings in the near future! Very cool!
Myles
Old May 01, 2002, 07:50 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,462 Posts
I'm glad some of you already test the MIRAGE . I got mine last year from Marcel . You rigth is a fine gentlemen . I start building mine . I glass the pink foam with 2 onze cloth and add some CF for ruff landing . The power is from a MIDI fan /1409/2y and Kontronik ESC. From the previus comment I have am idea how to balance the model . Anyway I will post few pics and I 'm hoping to get the plane ready for the Sainte Julie -Fun fly in august . I will try to contact Marcel lahaie to attempt the event . Jet set where you live in Canada ?
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old May 02, 2002, 05:49 AM
Kingston, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
132 Posts
Mirage's

bidule,
I am in Picton which is about 1/2 hour south of Belleville. Have you ever been to the Quinte Jet Rally at mountainview airport? I'm about 15 minutes south of there.
Carp is up by Ottawa isn't it?
Can't wait to see your pics!
Myles
Old May 02, 2002, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,316 Posts
Just out of the shop . I glassed the wings over the past couple of nights and just finished routing some holes in the forward spar carry through for the 2 cell sticks to pass through. I have an HP 290-20-6 motor in the 620 fan which is a fairly heavy motor and with 2 6 cell sticks of 2400 mah cells down in the corners from the rear former forward it seems to balance about right.

With 12 2400's, HP 290 motor, 2 HS-85's, Schultze Slim 55 BEC controller and a full size futaba Rx it tips the scales at 66 ounces which seems pretty good to me. This is in an unfinished state though so another 4 ounces or so should be allowed for primer and paint. I should have somewhere around 600 watts input with this motor/cell/fan combo.
Old May 03, 2002, 06:28 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,013 Posts
Myles, (Jetset), you should try to make it to the Kingston E-Fly on June 29/30. Jean Claude (bidule), Scott Black and others always have EDFs flying. Contact me privately if you want directions - you are about an hour from our field.

Cheers,

Martin mirvine@kos.net
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old May 05, 2002, 09:56 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,316 Posts
Well, it flies - and pretty well too!

Thursday night I spent a couple hours dremelling holes in the spars down in the corners so a 6 cell stick of 2400's would fit on each side from the rear fan former forward. That's where they needed to be to make things balance without splitting the pack into 3 pieces. Friday morning the was another hour spent installing equipment before leaving for the 6 hour drive to the Triad event in North Carolina.

I arrived @ a little after 3:00 and after watching Gary Wright beat the air into submission with his .80 powered glow heli (the electric fly didn't start till Sat.) I charged it up and set it on the ramp. Launch was a non event and the trim was fairly close - a few beeps of elevator and slightly more than a few on aileron and it was flying straight and level. The sky was overcast so I just flew around in ovals and figure 8's - it flies great although it uses up a fair amount of sky. I flew it once or twice more on Friday then I think 3 times on Saturday between bouts of rain. Sunday the skies cleared and I flew it 3 or 4 more times explorring the vertical plane a bit with better visability and also some high alpha slow fly by's. The Mirage is a lot of fun to fly. I would put the level flight speed flat out somewhere between 70 and 80 mph. I was worried about looping performance given the delta's high drag but I did one and it went off with no problem. The loop was quite large - 100 foot+, mabe quite a bit more - andit went over the top cleanly and came out the bottom no problem. Landings are a snap and with the linkage on the top of the wing it skips and slides nicely after touchdown. The plane will even fly around surprisingly slowly on not much power. It is a keeper - now for some finish.

I did thermal overload the controller on one flight so I need to get a little airflow to that. There is a little airleak where the wires penetrate the shroud so maybe I'll just arrange things so the controller is sitting in the bleed-air flow . No thermals on Saturday but it was only 50 degrees, Sunday warmed up to 75. Flight times are about 3.5 minutes with the throttle wide open at all times except for a couple slow passes.
Old May 06, 2002, 09:48 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,462 Posts
This is a very good new and will keep me gowind in the rigth direction....
Mine start to look fine( primer and sanding almost done ) i"m working know in the fitting of the elevons. the servos are inside the fuse , just before the last former . I try to put the maximum weigth in the rear. I was planning ( maybe ) to install the pack in the middle canopy ( !) . 14 1250 , or 12 2400 around the " motor "... I shoud be ready for test next week...
Old May 06, 2002, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,316 Posts
Sounds good! I shot some primer on mine tonight, it looks better already. Follow his directions as far as the CG goes and trim the elevons 1/8" up - basically the lower surface of the elevon is even with the upper surface of the wingtip extension. Use long control horns - 1" tall as a minimum and 2" would be better. I am flying mine on only about 60% ATV. The controls are still sensitive, ailerons are quick but precise, elevator was more critical. I'm running 40% expo on elevator and 25% on aileron which calmed it down nicely. You need the throw on elevator to loop but without the 40% expo it was too touchy around center. You can get a nice medium speed roll at 1/4 stick deflection but it still rolls very fast at full throw. I'll measure my throws before you test fly and let you know...
Old May 06, 2002, 10:33 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
It looked real good out there at Triad Chris! I could see that with the nice weather on Sunday you were able to explore much more of the flight envelope and let it get up high for some nice high speed 'Boom & Zoom' runs. Didn't you get the award for best scale with it?
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old May 06, 2002, 11:10 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,316 Posts
Well yes - must have been based on flight scores though . With a raw glass fuse and brown epoxy tinged pink foam wings it wasn't what you'd call a looker . I finished it up and threw it in the car as sort of an afterthought and was very pleased with the flying I was able to get in with it.
Old May 06, 2002, 11:34 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,462 Posts
my beast
Old May 07, 2002, 11:40 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,316 Posts
That looks good bidule, the wings look much smoother than mine so far. I shot some primer last night, I think I'll sand it down again and add a little lightweight filler to some of the low spots.
Old May 09, 2002, 09:59 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,316 Posts
Here is a shot of mine now that it has some paint on it. This scheme is an aircraft from the Austrailian R&R unit.