HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 05, 2005, 05:18 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
Discussion
X-Twin, Aeroace - post your mods, links etc.

Hi All

I though I would get a thread going about the Silverlit X-Twin. There is already a thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382167
but the title does not say which model it is about and it has mainly been concerned with availability.

I propose we use this thread to share links to information about the models, possible modifications and scratch-built models that uses the X-Twin R/C equipment.

There are currently two models in the range; a monoplane and a biplane. The ones I have seen so far are all on 27MHz but are designated "A", "B" or "C". They rely on digital coding/decoding and have no crystals. This means that 3 can fly at the same time.

The models are currently available in at least a couple of European countries in Toys'r'us stores and from Internet stores. It looks like they will be released in the USA by Airhogs under the Aeroace name:
http://www.airhogs.com/airhogs/aeroace.html

There is a forum for these models in Germany:
http://www.nottoxic.com/wapcc/xtwin/bbs/index.php
It is possible to post in English. In this thread there is a nice video of the models flying indoors: http://www.nottoxic.com/wapcc/xtwin/...topic.php?t=27

Some modifications have been posted in other threads but it would be nice if you could post your modification here with a short description of what you changed and what effect it had on the flying qualities of the model. Picture would be nice too.

I have a couple of the X-Twins and a set with the biplane on the way. First impressions are good and I hope for a spot of nice weather this weekend so I can test fly. I won't be able to make any modifications for a while since I will be moving shortly and all my workshop equipment is in boxes.

The R/C equipment lends itself well to experimentation and it should be possible to build light profile scale twins from Depron or balsa.

Hope to hear from a lot of X-Twin owners so we can give the Bit mod thread a run for its money

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
I have yet to see one of these in the u.s where can you get one?
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Aug 05, 2005, 05:40 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot
There is already a thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382167
but the title does not say which model it is about and it has mainly been concerned with availability

It looks like they will be released in the USA by Airhogs under the Aeroace name:
http://www.airhogs.com/airhogs/aeroace.html
Sorry, but I can't say it much clearer than that

Michael
Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:00 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Michael,
Good timing on this thread, as i just finished my own Bipe for use with the stock bipes electronics. i started to have reservations about stripping the bipe, at first i didnt like it as much as the Eagle wing, but after getting to fly it in dead calm air, i realized that it was a very nice flyer. its turns are much better and there's more overall controll. i think the Eagle wing can fly a bit slower though. but, i had to build something for it. i did some other mods, but they're in the other thread you listed above.

the bipes fuse, wings, and tail section came in at around 9 grams, all the electronics + lipo comes in at 10 grams. i was surprised the fuse weighed almost as much as the electronics.

anyway, i split the bipe again and removed the electronics and set them aside. i then built my CF and balsa twin boom bipe. its technically a staggerwing, as the top wing is a bit further back, but not much. 9" WS, 2.3" chord, bare weight of 3 grams (as much as just the top wing of the stock bipe).

transplanting the electronics was about as easy at it gets. the motor holders have a flat side for easy flat mounting, which also had some two sided tape on it, so i just stuck it to the underside of the top wing along the wing rib, which gives it a few degrees of down thrust. the lipo sticks out on the little CF rod which also acts like a bumper of sorts during crashes.

i came out with an AUW of only 13 grams. not bad, i wish i had 2 4mm pagers with appropriate props so i could use a 60 or 90mah lipo to really put the weight down. i've yet to be able to sucessfully fly either the Eagle wing or the Bipe indoors, but this one might be able to.

the winds are too strong right now so its maiden will probably be a little later tonight. it glides very well, i hope it flys just as nicely.

nick

edit: i'm pleased to see that AirHogs is getting these planes on their line of products. if they dont mess with anything, they'll be the best plane they've ever had - and i've flown a lot of them, usually just bricks with wings
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Aug 05, 2005, 10:01 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
When someone eventually takes theirs apart, I would like to know how heavy just the receiver is.

Thanks,
Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Old Aug 05, 2005, 10:51 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Hi Bill,

i havent unsoldered any wires off the PCB yet, so everything is still on there, BUT, the lipo weighs 3 grams, the two motors+props+motor case weigh about 5 grams or so, so i believe the RX is around 2 grams (others have said this as well). this is inline with the AUW of the electronics of 10 grams.

i could be off, my scale is only accurate to a gram, and it seems like the rx should weigh less than 2 grams, maybe someone else can give a more accurate weight breakdown.

i got a chance to try my home-made bipe this evening. it took a lot of adjustments here and there, more so than any of my other planes. the incidence angles, motor angles, tail feather angles, not to mention finding the CG on a stagger wing biplane - what a pain. but, it did eventually fly, still a bit too tail heavy, but thats easy to fix. turns are no problem, tighter than the stock bipe/mono too. this was my first succesfull bipe, first successful pusher setup also, i just might have to add this one to the working pager powered models sticky.

nick
Old Aug 06, 2005, 01:31 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
Sounds great Nick, good job on the bipe,
Last bipe I made was a peanut Sterling Jenny about 20 years ago. Shows how much I hate trimming 2 sets of wings.

Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Old Aug 06, 2005, 08:58 AM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Replaced the tailboom and plastic parts for a 1,3 mm carbon rod, saved me 1,4 gram
Added 2mm LEDs parallel to the motor-wiring (0,2 gram)
Video with pictures of parts on scale:

http://194.109.150.81/Web/Upload/Pjotrrr/XTwin.wmv

As you can see it can be "flown" in a 4x4 meter space with a lot of left rudder

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Last edited by Pjotrrr; Aug 06, 2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Kewl vid thanks peter....Nice plant : )
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Aug 06, 2005, 01:13 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
has anybody found them in the US yet? I am going to run by Toys R Us later today, and buy one if they are there. I think I am going to build a 1/32" balsa/ grocery bag wing and tail group for it, I think I could get one to about 2 grams at 15" span.

Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Aug 06, 2005, 01:54 PM
The ceiling is the limit!
South of England
Joined Aug 2004
1,237 Posts
They will be sold soon in Britain from: Maplins.

Alex
micromad is offline Find More Posts by micromad
Old Aug 06, 2005, 02:08 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
Making it lighter will make it fly slower but not turn better because it relies on differential thrust for steering. This might be the deciding factor for how small a room you can fly in. Moving the motors furter apart would of course help but might make trimming more tricky.

I have measured the motors to be 5.3 ohms. On a fully charged cell the current draw is 390mA. This would mean that the props might be a bit too much for the 4.5ohm pager so they would need a bit of trimming to be used with this motor (unless you don't fly a lot at full throttle)

The receiver including antenna but with charging socket and switch removed weighs 1.35 grams.
Motor with leads and prop weighs 1.83 grams
Cell weighs 3.8 grams
Fuselage pod 1.4 grams
Wing 3.42 grams
Stab/rudder 0.71 grams
Tailboom assy 1.8 grams
Motor mounts 0.42 grams

This means that with a plug added for the cell/receiver the equipment weight can be as low as app. 9 grams.

One of my X-wings will receive a JMP or Plantraco RX transplant and an actuator for the rudder.

Michael
Old Aug 06, 2005, 02:10 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
Alex, good find. Typical high UK price though I paid EUR 27.99 at TRU here in Germany and there are shops that sell them for as little as EUR 19.99. Online you can get them for EUR 25.00 and EUR 29.00 for the set with two models and one TX.

Michael
Old Aug 06, 2005, 06:37 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Michael,

thanks for posting the weight breakdown and ohms/current draw.

after putting a few days of flights on the planes, i've found myself rarely ever going full throttle. most of my flights tend to be head-level which only requires the lowest level of throttle input, which makes for nice long flights.

my motors are about an inch further apart than the stock on my bipe, which accounts for its better turning radius, as you mentioned. i hadnt considered that the further apart they are the more difficult it might be to trim it. i'll have to remember that.

i think i'm starting to wish i had waited a bit for AirHogs to get these planes in. i dont know what the currency conversion is between USD and EUR, but i paid 110 dollars, including shipping, for my two plane set. oh well, its the price you pay to be the first on the block with a new toy

nick
Old Aug 06, 2005, 09:11 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid
has anybody found them in the US yet? I am going to run by Toys R Us later today, and buy one if they are there. I think I am going to build a 1/32" balsa/ grocery bag wing and tail group for it, I think I could get one to about 2 grams at 15" span.

Jonathan
I called the phone # that was in the backyard flyer ad and the guy told me he had no idea when they would be in the U.S. He was supposed to call me back when he knows...3 days ago.

Looking forward to giving these a try!!

Bill
poulsbobill is online now Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Closed Thread