HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:33 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
GWS DXA twin?

I have a spare gws motor from a crashed litestik in which the gear box shattered. Would it provide any benefit attaching this to another motor making it a twin drive on one gearbox? Has anyone done this? it would be the standard DXA motor. Just wonder if there would be a performance increase.
rays89 is offline Find More Posts by rays89
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:43 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
I have one on one of my planes. I got the idea from Beachflier here on the E-Zone. I used a 1/16 balsa spacer on the gear box opposite the existing motor and used a nylon strap and CA to secure the second motor. I think I measured current draw at 3.5A running a 9x6 APC on 8-cell 300 NiMHs. The second motor runs cooler. Perhaps due to being more exposed. I am running the motors in parallel with a Pixie 7P. My airframe came out heavy at ~8-9 Oz. but you can still prop hang it.
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:48 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Another thing to do with a spare GWS-A motor is use it direct drive with a GWS 4"x2.5" prop. That's what I use on my <A HREF="http://pease1.sr.unh.edu/aew/rc/emite/">Electric Mite</A> and it works great. Is there anything these little GWS motors can't do?

Al

[This message has been edited by Allan Wright (edited 06-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Allan Wright (edited 06-28-2001).]
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jun 28, 2001, 04:27 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
My test builders and I are working on it as fast as possible. I've built 3 of them already and they fly great - fun little planes. Even the glow fliers at my club are thinking about building them.

I'm hoping to get RC Microflight interested in the plans and possibly offer the plans there and a laser cut kit for short money via paypal.

Or maybe I'll just give it all away. The design is HEAVILLY modified from the original guided mite, but basicly anyone could start from there and get where I got.

I'll definately keep you all here informed - thanks for the encouragement. So far it's been a really fun project.

Al
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jun 28, 2001, 06:20 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Steve, Im about 15-20 miles east of Warren County exit 33 of rt 78 (Jersey Talk). I usually go to my job site on weekends the field is ok with the exception theres a warehouse I have to fly over if I want to use the whole field. any good locations in your area? I have been thinking of using the twin motor on a litestik if that works good Ill put it on the fusalage cub I havent built yet
rays89 is offline Find More Posts by rays89
Old Jun 29, 2001, 01:04 AM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
Al,

Must...have...Electric...Mite...now.

Very cool design. I speak on behalf of e-zoners when I say we are eagerly awaiting those plans!

Dan
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Jun 29, 2001, 01:05 AM
Byram Twp. NJ
Joined Dec 2000
121 Posts
rays89

Where abouts is Warren Twp in NJ? I'm over in Byram which is between Stanhope and Andover. If you're in Warren COunty, where do you do your flying?

Steve
steve f is offline Find More Posts by steve f