HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2005, 12:33 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
I know that the female end is typically put on the battery and the male end on the esc. With the ultras there is actually a small "+" and "-" imprinted right next to the tabs.
The deans are nice, I've just started using them myself since I'm starting to get into motors that provide more power than the jst's can potentially handle. The only downside is that you have to be careful unplugging them. Grab the connectors themselves, don't pull the wires or you can pull the wires off the tabs. Don't ask me how I know

I got the fuse glued up tonite on the new GWS Spitfire. I made sure that I enlarged the batter bay BEFORE gluing the two halve together unlike my Zero. I have to order some new Lipo's as well since my Etec 1700 is offically dead
BTW - Bishop Power Products has a sale for 10% off orders over $50.00 going on until the 5th or 6th, free shipping as well.
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2005, 01:10 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Thought I'd post a photo of the printed Bird Dog I'm working on. Any suggestions on how to mount the servos?
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Sep 05, 2005 at 02:09 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2005, 01:51 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
I don't see a pic
Old Sep 05, 2005, 02:13 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Odd. Seems like something is wrong with RCGroups. I see it I think because it is cached. My IE does not see it. Broken link or something.
Old Sep 05, 2005, 09:26 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
Thought I'd post a photo of the printed Bird Dog I'm working on. Any suggestions on how to mount the servos?
Looks good so far! I just trace the bottom of the servo where I'm going to place it, then cut it out and push the servo through. A little bit of tape wrapped around the body of the servo works if you cut the hole too large and there is wobble. I put a little 2 sided tape under the mounting tabs to help hold them in place as well.

Your probably going to mess up your artwork but I would put the servos at the end of the Army decal by the USA star decal. Elevator facing out one side, the rudder servo would face out the other side. Kinda like in the picture above.
Old Sep 05, 2005, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Thanks Pete. ( sounds like the photos are now working? ) I got on a roll last night and finished it up except for the landing gear. I mounted the servos with a bit of double-sided duct tape. Your way is a lot nicer - I think that if I like the way the plane flies I'll make that change. Did you maiden your bird dog yet?
Old Sep 05, 2005, 01:13 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
here ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
Matt, can you get a picture of your aileron servo on the P 51??

Thanks,
Jim
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Sep 05, 2005, 01:20 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
that's easy enough, thanks

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Sep 05, 2005, 01:31 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
it's far from perfect but good enough. i'm debating going the twin aileron servo route. i also cut in a rudder and battery hatch.

good build thread. this is where i first saw it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329942

matt
Old Sep 05, 2005, 01:50 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
what would be the advantage of twin aileron servos?? It seems to float in nicely now for landings so I wouldn't think flaps would be needed.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Sep 05, 2005, 02:01 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
Did you maiden your bird dog yet?
I never built the Bird Dog, that photo was from my homemade, "nothing better to do let's build a plane". I flew well with about 2 oz's on weight in the nose. Don was real impressed with the maiden flight, just ask him next Sunday

I got the plans for the DC-3/C-47. I was going to start cutting foam but ended up purchasing Don's GWS Spitfire. The foamy will have to wait.

Both the Zero and the Spit came with 300C motors. I had to buy some servos and stuff from AllRC so I added a 350C motor to the order to try out in my Spit. Should provide some more speed and scale-like flight appearances. It should be interesting to see the variations between the two models in flight. I bought a pair of Thunder Power 2S 1250's from Bishop Power Products as well to replace the E-Tec 1700 that won't work. I also got one of the new GWS Lipo Speed Controllers to try out in the Spit as well.
I'll post a pic of my progress later this evening.
Old Sep 05, 2005, 02:13 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
what would be the advantage of twin aileron servos?? It seems to float in nicely now for landings so I wouldn't think flaps would be needed.

Jim
no real advantage other than very positive aileron control. the current setup has a little slop in it but not enough to tear into unless it crashes. just be careful when putting in the control rods. people have poked them through the guide tubes instead of the wire following the tube.

matt
Old Sep 05, 2005, 09:37 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
I maidened the printed bird dog this afternoon at Lowe. Ready to fly weight was 9.6 oz with a 7-cell 750mah nimh, gws naros, and a cirrus 6 channel receiver, no landing gear. First flight it barely stayed aloft, then on following flights it couldn't. Some of the printed material on the leading edge was coming up - will have to cover that with packing tape. I think that, along with a lipo battery will help next time. Used a 1260 prop w/a MPI EPU-9 ( 8.6 ratio ) motor. Still a fun build. I thought it would be a lot heavier.
Old Sep 06, 2005, 12:38 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPete
Both the Zero and the Spit came with 300C motors. I had to buy some servos and stuff from AllRC so I added a 350C motor to the order to try out in my Spit.
O.K, I'm an idiot After spouting off about putting a 350 motor in my Spit instead of the 300 what did I do? Completely forgot and went ahead and put the 300 motor in the bird! If you have ever seen a GWS Spit front end up close you'll realize that that motor is there to stay. You have to attached the motor mount and motor before gluing the fuse halves together since the foam wraps around a good portion of the motor and gearing, just the prop sticks out.
Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy a GWS Me109 now to try the motor that's on it's way. Hey Don, got one of those hiding in your closet?

Kevin, Lipos should go along way towards lowering your weight and enabling you to fly, Just don't buy a monster sized pack and you should be fine. Pico or HS-55 servos are a little smaller/lighter as well but not sure the small weight savings would be worth the cost of buying a few more servos.

I just got done connecting both my 2S 700 packs together to make a 2S 1400. I charged them fully before putting them both on a Deans Ultra. I threw them back on the charger afterwards and it gave me the green light after a minute so I should be good to go.
Old Sep 06, 2005, 12:44 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,225 Posts
Never bought the Me-109. I do have a GWS Corsair that I am almost done with. I opted to put in a GWS 400 motor in it with 3:1 gearing. It is suppose to fly pretty good with more power. Pulls like 10-12 amps WOT on a 3 cell Lipo and 9 x 6 APC E prop. Should be interesting.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member