HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2005, 09:53 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslusarc
Anyhow here is a picture of the Spitfire. I am not sure of the USA markings they supply it with though??
Maybe get a set of GWS decals for thiers? Anybody else make one about that scale?

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:03 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
I did get some roundels and the USAF emblems are vinyl and i think I can peel them off. The invasion stripes are iron on covering so I will leave them.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:14 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Don, I wondered about the white spitfire too. Google didn't reveal anything about white nor spitfires in US forces.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:49 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Why the hell would they put USAAF marking on the Spit? I know that some German and Japanese planes were rebadged after WWII when they used them for flight testing and such but only with small markings, they wouldn't go through the trouble of repainting the whole plane.

Got the Zero pretty much done this evening. I still have to apply the decals and decal the canopy. The canopy and motor cowling were a HUGE pain to cut out, probably spent 45 minutes just doing those two items alone. I have a Pico RX in the bird now but plan on putting at least a Naro RX in before I try to fly it. I also used a Sharpie to color the prop black (need to touch a few areas up). Having a orange prop on a Zero is like...well...like having USAAF markings on a Spit

We need a Me 109 and Yak/Mig flyer now. Then we can have all the major players of WWII represented. Of course someone will have to stand off to the side and wave a white flag for the French representation

Still need to figure out what batteries I'm going to use. Weight w/o batteries is 8.9 oz.

Here's the Zero:

OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:11 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
I've got a GWS Zero in my attic. I flew it for quite a while, it's a very nice flying airplane.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Aug 31, 2005, 08:27 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Pete, agreed. Especially painting it from camo to white? I saw a site once that had some photos of a captured B-17 and P-51 w/german insignias. It looked very odd. I imagine it would be pretty dangerous to have flown those, as your own side would probably see the profile and ID the type of plane long before making out the insignia. Amazon and the great plane movies thread got me last night - picked up Battle of Britain and 12 O'clock high used. So with the zero coming online, someone has to throw up a Corsair to give it some competition. Add the C-47 and we have the makings of an episode of the old 'Black Sheep' series.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:35 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
the arrival...

it showed up today.

ma
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:22 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Matt, you've got way too many planes!!!

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:33 PM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,688 Posts
Right now?

Top Flight P-47 Gold Edition.

I'm putting the final details on 'er now. Panel lines, D-Day stripes, squa #s, etc.

AUW 9lbs

Hacker B50 11XL 5.2/1
TP 6s4p
6.0v UBEC

15.5 X 12 - 4 blade APC.

850W If I go 7s I could join the 1kw club.
62amps - static

Retracts, flaps, etc.

Giddy up?!

TRP
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:16 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Got a motor question. The Zero kit came with a 300C "C" geared motor. I went to the GWS website and was looking for the best prop combinations for each of the two motors. The kit has a 1080 prop in it.
Could someone explain the "Thrust -vs- Power" thing to me?

Example - 300C-C (at 8.4 volt)

1047 prop has 13.40 oz of thrust - 65.52 watts (listed as "slowflyer")
1080 prop has 11.71 oz of thrust - 81.48 watts (listed as "aerobatic")

Which number should I concern myself with when choosing a prop? I've always heard about the "thrust to weight ratio" when reading about motors. So assuming I have the 1047 prop with 13.40 oz of thrust my Zero should be able to climb vertically if the weight is below 13 oz's?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 05:57 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
Those numbers are static thrust. Once you start flying the thrust drops off. If you want to fly slower, go with the first setup, if you want faster go with second setup. I always go for more speed
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2005, 12:02 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Thanks Don

I got the Zero done tonite. I still have to buy a battery or two and swap out the Pico RX for a Naro RX. I touched up some of the white foam areas with a green Sharpie, it looks better now.
The plane had it's first flight tonite as well!! Well, not really but close
As it turns out if your playing around with your computer radio trying to reverse your elevator servo so that it goes the right way, make sure you don't accidentally reverse your throttle servo The plane actually flew off the work bench before I caught it by the tail before it nosed into the linoleum floor No damage, but kind of embarassing! I'm not sure which is worse, the throttle reversing tonite or the fact that I had Scott maiden my E-starter with the prop on backwards Thankfully Scott has some piloting skills and was able to bring it back in w/o damage.
I think I'll work on my skills with the E-starter before I maiden the Zero.

Old Sep 01, 2005, 12:25 AM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
pete,
your zero looks sweet! i can't wait to see it fly.

BTW, i should be able to maiden the SQuiRT sun. wing and fuse are covered. all i have to do is assemble and add gear. oh, and bend some new landing gear since the one that came with the kit got lost in the black hole (my basement).

GOOD NEWS!!
the black hole gave up the landing gear! the only place i didn't check was the piece of cardboard that was in the packing. it was taped on to one side...the side that was facing the floor .
all parts accounted for so i'll make a mad scramble to finish by sun. morn.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Last edited by sgtdirt; Sep 02, 2005 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 02, 2005, 11:32 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Mountain Models HellCat
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Sep 02, 2005, 11:34 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
OhioPete,

Great looking Zero! I used to have a freeflight one and it flew great! Cant wait to see her fly.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax