Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:29 PM
Not
Dyin when I'm Not flyin
Cleveland, OH USA
Joined Aug 2004
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPete
Looks awesome Ken! Glad to see you back 'round these parts Hope your vacation was enjoyable.
Thanks! Good to be back! And yes, vacation was much needed and very AWESOME! I should be out at Sagamore this weekend, assuming that work doesn't bury me...
Not is offline Find More Posts by Not
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:39 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslusarc
My Corsair is flying on a GWS 400D (3:1) gearing with a 3 cell Lipo.
Don
Thanks for the info. Todd's has an Etec 11.1 1000mah on sale for $30.00 that I'll probably go with. Could you give me more info on the prop? Does the HD stand for Hyper Drive? I'm assuming this is not the same as a SF (slowflyer) prop?
I had a 400C D gear left from the swap out I did on my E-Starter. I went with a 350c in order to use the 2S lipos that I had so I have the motor covered.

EDIT: Wouldn't a EP9047 offer more power that the 9050 HD prop? It would be slightly less than a 10 amp draw at WOT, it shows 15.63 oz/thrust at 10.8 volts.
The HD9050 shows 12.73 oz/thrust at the same volts, granted it's only pulling 7amps. Is there something I'm missing? I figure I need all the power I can get w/o stessing a 10C 3 cell lipo too hard.

EDIT 2 - I figured out why my Zero only wanted to go straight up. I turns out that you have to add a small spacer between the wing and the fuse to reduce the wing incidence. I read here that the original Zero was made to fly with an IPS motor so there was a lot of incidence built into the wing to enable it to "float" better. With any powerplant above an IPS you have to reduce this incidence with the spacer. (I think I described it right but it may to too little incidence, who knows )
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Last edited by OhioPete; Sep 12, 2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 07:35 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
I am buying a 9 x 5 HD prop as well as a 400 with C gearing. I have read the 9X5 on a C gear gives more speed (me like that ) and about the same amp draw in flight as the D gearing. If you are going 3 cell Lipo I would use a HD (hyper drive prop), the GWS slow flyer props are not good for the higher RPM, they flex and stuff, can throw a blade, that is scary, and they also suck up amps due to the blade shape and flexing at higher rpm. If you do go the SF prop route then I would try the APC, much stiffer, or even Hobbytown usually has the Eflite SF props (they are black which is nice) and they are cheap too. The best thing may be flight testing. Thrust charts are tricky as they show you static thrust which is just that, thrust while not moving. A low pitch prop always looks good statically but then the thrust drops off quickly once you start flying from the incoming airflow from forward flight.

I was flying on a 10 x 6 HD prop which I cut down to 9" inch diameter on the Corsair. I was pulling about 10 amps WOT statically, but in flight it is much lower as I was getting long flight times on a 1250 pack, over 10 minutes (never hit LVC) which is 6C so in the 7 amp range.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:02 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
That makes sense now. Thanks for the info. I have a couple of the HD1060 props that I got with the E-Starter. Maybe I could cut one down and try them both next week to see if I can tell a performance difference. How did you go about cutting them down? I imagine you have to be pretty precise so that you don't end up with an unbalanced prop.
If you haven't ordered already I would appreciate it if you could grab me a 9x5HD prop as well. I could pay you for it and test that one as well next week.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:10 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
I ordered two of them, I can bring the extra one. To cut down the prop, I take a single edge razor and score the top of the blade, then bend it down and it will break off at the cut line, then I take the piece I cut off, and then lay it on top of the opposite side and use that as the template to cut the other tip. Score it with the razor then snap it off.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:55 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
I ordered two of them, I can bring the extra one.
If I could try one for a flight that would be cool. If it works well I could order my own. I wouldn't want to take your spare. (Your probably thinking "I ain't giving that arse my spare prop" anyways
Quote:
To cut down the prop, I take a single edge razor and score the top of the blade, then bend it down and it will break off at the cut line, then I take the piece I cut off, and then lay it on top of the opposite side and use that as the template to cut the other tip. Score it with the razor then snap it off.
Geez I feel like an idiot now

I thought you would use some advanced calculus to figure out the exact cutting location and the measure with your micrometer to get it accurate to with thousanths of an inch. Heck I can probably find a dull stone and cut it your way.

While I'm posting I mght as well show my "Warbird" modifications so far. I got the 400C motor installed in the Spitfire. I had to cut the front of the fuse a little to allow it to fit and I'll have to fool around with the cowling to try to get it to look decent as well. Note that it sticks down lower than the 300C motor did. This (and a heavier 3S lipo) should also help me by reducing the amount of "dead" weight I need to add to the nose to get it to balance Other than a 3S lipo it should be ready to go.

I did the "wing incidence(sp?)" mod to the Zero this evening as well. It is recommended adding an 1/8" shim 1" from the leading edge of the wing to help prevent the "Go vertical when adding power" problem. I cut 4 pieces of 1/32" ply and glued them together to make the shim. (Hope my math was right, I rode the short bus to math class ) I also added a 1/64" piece to the wing where the shim would touch so that it wouldn't eventually cut into the foam on the wing.
As Don and Matt can attest, it went vertical when I launched it on it's maiden flight. By sheer blind luck I was able to throttle back and even fly around for a minute of two before I brought it down o.k. Of course I thought that the servo extension being in the way of the aileron pushrods might have been the cause. I flew it again after fixing that and it had the same tendency. The second landing wasn't quite as gentle as can be seen in the last photo where the battery tried to eject out of the front of the plane I'm going to have to find a way to fix that.

Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:14 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
No problem on the prop. In fact I am in process of ordering some stuff on another web site. I will add one in for you. You now owe me $1.38, unless you want two of them, then you owe me $2.76 . No personal checks without proper ID

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:05 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Grab me two if you would. I'll reach deep into my wifes purse and bring $3.00 on Sunday
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:12 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
I ordered two more.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:01 PM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
Wattage Cap 232

Here's what I got started tonight.

Tommy
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:11 PM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
Motor mount completed.......... Lots of epoxy!!

Tommy
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:16 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Looks good Tommy!
Old Sep 14, 2005, 01:04 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2002
44 Posts
Min Laser 3d getting re-outfitted - and the servos, Rx, LiPo's, ESC etc.
One of my son's Thunderbird vehicles that needs repairing
My son's Space Shuttle plastic model that needs decals adding
My son's Tucano ditto
Several magazines that need 'putting away'
About 100 pieces of wire and carbon rod that belong in their nice storage jar and will, no doubt, eventually make their way back on their own accorrd
A pair of pliers that really should be put away
A house plant that looks to be dying - and probably will now I've accidentally spilt the rather dirty water I use for cleaning brushes over it
Several pots of model paint to finish the wing of my FW190; just waiting for tha base coat to dry - and have been for about 3 weeks
A jar of about 25 model paintbrushes
A large can of 'Antique Cream' emulsion that should be used this weekend to finish the bedroom
One large paintbrush for above
One small paintnbrush for above
5 'spare' paintbrushes
Eight video tapes - I know there's stuff on them - I just can't remember what !
A soldering iron that I must put away
Solder ditto
Several blobs of old solder that need putting in the bin
Several little bits of heatshrink tube ditto
The notepad I take flying with me to, well, make notes ! Must put it back in flight box
Yesterday's newspaper
About 25 p (40 cents ?) in change
Several cyanao stains
Several pva glue blobs
Several epoxy glue blobs
Several aliphatic glue blobs
Some polystyrene 'beads' - think they're from the GWS Spitfire
Some white heat shrink film scraps - think they're from the Tucano
Some silver heat shrink film scraps - they'll be from the FW190
Two nuts and bolts - from the Picollo
Cutting mat
Several thousand cuts where I couldn't find/be bothered to use the cutting mat
An upside down beatle - funny looking critter
A dead honeybee - insect not helicopter
Dust
Storage container with 15 compartmets that I use for little screws, jumpers, fuses etc.
Two pens
A scissors
Two pairs of tweezers
A modelling knife with a quite blunt blade
A part from my Dremel
Half a cobweb
An empty glass with what looks like it may, several days ago, have had Coka Cola in it
The instructions from my new 'Slinger'

That's about it.

Oh no. one more.........

A list of jobs to do - #1 says "Tidy up" !

Please don't ask what's in my garage
markyouatt is offline Find More Posts by markyouatt
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:05 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Sure looks like a lot of typing...

ma
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Sep 14, 2005, 04:24 PM
Wonderfully Wicked