Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 10, 2005, 07:17 AM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
THose look awesome Pete. It is going to be fun flying this weekend with all the maiden flights going on!
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2005, 08:09 AM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
Pete, that Spit looks great. Guess the P51 is going to have to move forward on the build list. My poor cap has been on the bench all summer.
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Sep 10, 2005, 08:11 AM
Something Clever
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2005
895 Posts
The TwinStar II is about ready to go. I'm still playing around with the CofG and I need to put some decals on it.

Jim
RktMan is offline Find More Posts by RktMan
Last edited by jmullane; Sep 10, 2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 08:19 AM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
Man, I'm showing up at the field with nothing new!!! What a slug I am!! You guys are killing me!!

Well, I did get a new digital cam..........???????
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:40 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslusarc
If your packs do not come, you can use that one I had last week for test flying.

Don
Let's hope me package comes today and I don't have too but thank you for the offer.
***EDIT - Batteries arrived. They are a lot smaller than the old packs, Guess it's time to refigure my CG's

Jim - That Twinstar should be awesome! I wish they were available when I bought my E-Starter, I probably would have bought that one instead. I love the Elapor Foam, it's just so durable.

Scott, it will be a day of maidens which could be good (or bad ). Time will tell

Tommy - Your maiden of the BUFF (Big Ugly Fat F.....) last week was awesome. It more than makes up for not having a new plane to maiden this week. Now get to work on that Mustang. Suck it up! Build through the pain man!!! Tell your wife it's part of your therapy

It should be cool having a few warbirds in the air in the next few weeks, almost like a mini-WWII era airshow
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Last edited by OhioPete; Sep 10, 2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:44 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
i'll be maidening the SQuiRT this sunday too. putting the finishing touches on the decal scheme tonight. i would post pics but i want to unvale it in person.

(that and i don't want to get ripped on over the web for my color choices )
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 11, 2005, 07:33 AM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
i wish i could get there to fly with you guys, but school comes first.. so say the parents .

anyways, here are some neat little planes, that can be bought from toys r us- i like to call them sophisticated toys- semi-propo, lipo powered. anyways, they are differential steering planes, one motor slows down to make a turn. has a lipo cell that is something like 140 mah, weighs 3.7 grams with leads. propulsion is two 6mm dd motors, 1.5 grams each. reciever weighs 1.9 or so grams, with a on off switch and charging connector.

its nice, because you can pretty much dump it into any frame with about a 9 inch wingspan, and it will ussually fly.

also, its only $30... and puts off buying real equiptment

beano

beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:19 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
that's nice beano. hopefully you can come out before the weather gets nasty.

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:27 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Need some motor suggestions folks. I flew, barely, my Zero today. I had trouble with my ailerons as they were both pretty loose. I had elevator and rudder control but it was bobbing and weaving like a prize fighter I think I got the ailerons fixed up o.k so assuming I had the CG correct it should fly a little better next time. I'm still going to over over the whole plane again just to make sure though. Seems to have enough power with the 350 motor.
My main concern is the Spitfire, it's a pig To balance it properly I had to add a lot of weight in the nose. I think it's AUW was a bit over 17 oz's, just too much weight for the anemic 300C ("C" geared 1080 prop) motor to pull. I launched it into the wind and it flew real nice and steady, I was amazed! I turned crosswind and the altitude started dropping slowly (still WOT) I continued to lose height until I was on the 3rd turn coming back towards me where I had to cut the throttle and gently belly land it in. I tried again with another freshly charged 2S 1320mah Lipo (different battery same specs). Once again it flew o.k into the wind but slowly lost altitude until I had to land. Total flight time probably about 20-30 seconds each flight.
I need a more powerful motor. Can anyone offer suggestions that won't break the bank. I honestly have about $50.00 I could spend right now. I am considering using my 400C "D" geared motor with a 3S lipo. I would have to buy the Lipo, (~$45-$50). This should help add weight (bigger battery and heavier motor) so that I don't have to add as much ballast (i.e) dead weight. I know most brushless set-ups are fairly expensive but I've been seeing some BL-12 (or BL-21) motors advertised as a packaged deal for about $40.00 for a BL motor and 18 amp ESC. I know NOTHING about BL motors so if this is way off base just let me know.

Thanks,
Pete
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:44 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,972 Posts
A quick solution may be to try a 8 cell nimh battery. You will get more power from the higher voltage and the weight of the battery can help it balance. My Corsair is flying on a GWS 400D (3:1) gearing with a 3 cell Lipo. I have read in the GWS forum that the GWS 3 cell 1300 mah pack will work on this setup and the battery is about $35 and use a 9 x 5 GWS HD prop. Todds models Crazy Sale has the gearbox and motor for $8.99 and 3 cell polyquest for $35.

I do have one of those BP motors and have run it and it is pretty good for the price, BUT the 18 amp ESC they give has a bad LVC for Lipo, A 3 cell is set to like 7.5 volts when the recommended is 9 volts. I do not know why they have such low LVC but that is why I stay away from them. I bought one, and sold it right away when I found out how low the cutoff was set.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:01 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
beware of the GWS lipo packs. the cells are crapola. a guy from work bought two of the 1300 2s packs. they can't power his stock ss motor (300 and D gear) with stock prop as the voltage drops terribly and the LVC kicks in. we propped down to 10*8 and it's marginally better but still cuts out.

just a heads up........

tanics are on sale at hobbypeople.net

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:27 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,972 Posts
In light of actual real world experience, dont buy a GWS lipo! But I would still get the 400 motor for $8.99 you cant go wrong unless you want to go brushless. I think it flew the Corsair very well.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:53 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I pulled the 300C motor out last evening and put the 400C "D" geared motor in. I had to trim a bit of foam from the nose area to get it too fit. I have to figure out how I'm going to get the plastic cowling back on the front now though, probably have to do some trimming there as well. I'm going to pick up a 3 cell Lipo, hopefully before next sunday to give it another go. The short time it was in the air is flew real nice, straight and level right from the launch. I think it'll be a good one.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:55 AM
Not
Dyin when I'm Not flyin
Cleveland, OH USA
Joined Aug 2004
391 Posts
Back from hiatus...

My Comanche project rolls on!

Exhaust vent detail

The pilots and gatteling gun and more scale details have been added

Along with a coat of US Army Helo drab paint

The retracts are now working with just one HS55

Although I'm having locking issues with the tail wheel...

Mechs are now permanently installed with the 5-bladed swash plate visible

Next is to put the ball links on the swash, the blade grips on the head and the control rods in-between.

...And, of course paint the pilots ($1.99 @ Big Lots) Army Green!

-Not
Not is offline Find More Posts by Not
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:04 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Looks awesome Ken! Glad to see you back 'round these parts Hope your vacation was enjoyable.