HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
Maz
Mig Killer
Broadview Heights, Oh, USA
Joined Mar 2004
882 Posts
Needed something different. I started this last night and she`s almost ready to go. I need to make an extension from my esc to the battery. What gauge wire do you guys think I need for it? I`ll have to run to Radio Shack and get the wire tomorrow. I`ll have to paint it also, but I don`t think I`ll have time before Sunday.

Dave
Maz is offline Find More Posts by Maz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:28 AM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
that looks pretty cool.
what's the size?
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 19, 2006, 04:55 AM
Something Clever
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2005
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
Needed something different. I started this last night and she`s almost ready to go. I need to make an extension from my esc to the battery. What gauge wire do you guys think I need for it? I`ll have to run to Radio Shack and get the wire tomorrow. I`ll have to paint it also, but I don`t think I`ll have time before Sunday.

Dave
Dave,

Very nice!

Wire gauge would depend on the battery and motor used, but I would match what is on the ESC - 16-18?

Jim
RktMan is offline Find More Posts by RktMan
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:23 AM
Maz
Mig Killer
Joined Mar 2004
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
that looks pretty cool.
what's the size?

It`s about 36" long with a 22.5" wingspan. I got the plans on the foamie thread. Very qiuck build. It fits on 1 sheet of foam too. The angles of the vertical tails are off to one another, but I too am a hack of a builder.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:27 AM
Maz
Mig Killer
Joined Mar 2004
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RktMan
Dave,

Very nice!

Wire gauge would depend on the battery and motor used, but I would match what is on the ESC - 16-18?

Jim

Thanks Jim,

The motor is a cdrom and the battery is a 3s tp 1320. The only wire I have laying around is real thin for winding motors or I have some 12 gauge stranded wire that`s real thick. I may just try the 12 instead of buying a spool of wire for just this one application.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:29 AM
Speed Freak
United States, OH, North Olmsted
Joined Nov 2005
1,311 Posts
Are those apples real?
Spid is offline Find More Posts by Spid
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:33 AM
Maz
Mig Killer
Joined Mar 2004
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spid
Are those apples real?

Yea. Incredibly we`ve found out that if you leave them out, the kids will actually eat them instead of all the junk food. Of course mom and dad head right for the HoHos and doritos!
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:15 AM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Workbench question

Hey everybody - I am planning on doing my first kit-build, and wanted some advice for my workbench. My normal workbench is half a ping-pong table. It is marginal, I mean it has a lot of workspace, but it is not perfectly flat (sags about 1/8" from a corner to the center), plus the top surface is plywood, so it would not be receptive to pins, etc.

So, what would be a good material for a workbench? A "portable" flat surface with a softer material laminated on top? What if I had a section of plywood on which I used spray adhesive to attach some 1" thick pink foam insulation? That way, as the foam wore out, I could strip it off and put a new section on?
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:38 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
I bought a hollow core door at Home Depot for $20 and set it on two saw horses, I also keep a piece of foam insulation on top of the table to make it easy to pin.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:38 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
I bought a hollow core door at Home Depot for $20 and set it on two saw horses, I also keep a piece of foam insulation on top of the table to make it easy to pin.

Jim
Ditto with me.
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:06 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Can you solder an RX antenna back together if it gets cut?
I was trying to enlarge the battery bay in my Overlord so that I can use my new 2100 3S Apex lipos and I cut the Berg antenna that I had buried in the foam about 1 inch from the RX The antenna wire is buried in the foam and covered, it would be nice if I could just solder it because I'll trash the Ultracoat covering if I have to try to remove it.
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,697 Posts
Hi Pete,
Yes, antennas are perfectly happy being soldered back together. Make sure and put some shrink wrap over the bare wire.
Vince
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:18 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSio2
So, what would be a good material for a workbench? A "portable" flat surface with a softer material laminated on top? What if I had a section of plywood on which I used spray adhesive to attach some 1" thick pink foam insulation? That way, as the foam wore out, I could strip it off and put a new section on?

Has anybody mentioned using a door as a workbench? That is what I use.
For a pinnable surface, I went to the DIY store and bought some 2' x 4' ceiling tiles.
Vince
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:45 PM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Herman
Has anybody mentioned using a door as a workbench? That is what I use.
For a pinnable surface, I went to the DIY store and bought some 2' x 4' ceiling tiles.
Vince

Thanks to everyone about the idea of the door. Now that you mention it I remember hearing that before. Nice thing about that is that I can take it off my workbench and stow it once finished.

Scott
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Aug 19, 2006, 03:23 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,019 Posts
Doors are nice because once you ruin one side with glue blobs (it will happen) you can flip the door over and start all over again
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member