Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 04, 2005, 10:24 PM
User Person
Toronto-Ish, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
85 Posts
Does this sound right? Beeping ESC, rumbling motor

This is my first electric plane.

E-Flite Park 400 Outrunner motor (Similar specs to Axi 2212/34)
Castle Creations Pheonix 25 ESC
Thunder Power 3 cell 1320maH battery
10x4.7 prop, don't remember what brand

The ESC beeps 3 times when I plug the battery in. I make sure the throttle stick and trim are at their lowest setting. I thought it was supposed to beep once.

The motor has a deep rumbly sound, it reminds me of my glow engines. I thought it would be smoother sounding, just the wwhhhhhrrrrrrrrr without the other noise. In the attached video I run the motor at idle, and then half throttle, then shut it off. I'm pretty sure the prop is balanced.

If more videos or photos will help, let me know.
QuazBotch is offline Find More Posts by QuazBotch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2005, 11:51 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
The speed control sounds exactly right, that's the sound it makes when all is working properly and the motor arms.
the motor does sound kind of funky, should'nt be that noisy, but really need to hear it wot to tell for sure. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Aug 05, 2005, 11:21 AM
User Person
Joined Jun 2005
85 Posts
I found a better microphone. The rumbling seems to get drowned out at WOT.

This video is audio only. Idle, half throttle, full throttle, half throttle, idle, off.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 11:36 AM
Hopkinton, MA
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
The speed control is probably set to auto count the lipo cells. It should give the start beep and then the number of beeps equal to the number of lipo cells. Mine beeps four times.

Joe
jgorski is offline Find More Posts by jgorski
Old Aug 05, 2005, 11:52 AM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Dec 2004
23 Posts
My rimfire brushless made that same sound and it turned out that one of the motor mount screws had come out and was allowing the motor to vibrate. Check the screws that attach the motor to the motor mount.
-Ty
th535is is offline Find More Posts by th535is
Old Aug 05, 2005, 12:59 PM
User Person
Joined Jun 2005
85 Posts
Thanks Jimbo45cn and jgorski for the speed control info.

Thanks for the idea th535is. The motor was mounted to the firewall tight. I took it off the plane and ran the motor, holding it by the x mount in my hand. It sounded great, at half throttle all I could really hear was air wooshing by.

I suspect the motor noise is being amplified by the plywood firewall and the balsa behind it. I'm going to look for some o-rings or fat rubber bands to put between the x screws and firewall.
Last edited by QuazBotch; Aug 05, 2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 01:03 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuazBotch
Thanks Jimbo45cn and jgorski for the speed control info.

Thanks for the idea th535is. The motor was mounted to the firewall tight. I took it off the plane and ran the motor, holding it by the plastic-x mount in my hand. It sounded great, at half throttle all I could really hear was air wooshing by.

I suspect the motor noise is being amplified by the plywood firewall and the balsa behind it. I'm going to look for some o-rings or fat rubber bands to put between the plastic x screws and firewall.
yep that is what it sounds like to me, resonation of a normal motor sound to the airframe or wings. Make sure it doesnt heat up under no load (if it does, indicates some friction of rubbing). If it doesnt, go fly!!
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles