HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2001, 06:38 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
GWS Tiger Moth - How slow does it fly?

I'm debating whether to get a Bleriot III or a Tiger Moth tomorrow when I go back to my LHS. How slow does the Tiger Moth fly? Also, how does it handle wind? Which would be better in a light wind? Does the Moth use the same prop as the Litestick? ( I have a Litestick already & several spare props for it.
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2001, 07:20 AM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
Waiting for my Moth.....but the Pico J3 full fuse will fly slow and in some wind. I like it better than the litestick. Very pleased with the NARO flight pack...no problems.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:27 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Both the Moth and the Bleriot are slower and have more drag than the Lite Stik, so it doesn't take as much wind to make them fly backward. Because it is a biplane, the Moths wings are more rigid, so it doesn't flex in wind gusts like the lite stik. Even though it flys slower, I think it is easier to control in gusts than the stik.

The Moth comes with a 9x7 prop. It will fly with the Lite Stik 10x4.7 prop, and the instructions recommend it for indoor flying, but I think the performance is much better with the 9x7. The bad news is that the 9x7 prop is substantially weaker in the hub area than the lite stik prop. I destroyed and rebuilt my lite stick many times, and never broke a prop, but on one semi-rough landing I broke both blades on the Moth prop, right at the hub.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555