HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2005, 06:38 PM
Joined Jul 2005
11 Posts
Question
smoke fluid

Does any one know how to make up smoke fluid? I have a paddle steamer with a 12 volt smoke generator in it, I did play about with different things but was told I could blow her up so am looking for some thing safe to use. The price at hobby shops is $120 per litre, so as you can gather I would rather make some at those prices. I have bought some fog juice (for disco machines)but it doesn't put out very much smoke. thanks.
boatabout is offline Find More Posts by boatabout
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2005, 12:06 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,386 Posts
What brand smoke unit do you have? Is it made to run on oil or water based fog fluid?
Can you post a pic of the unit? Did it make more smoke with the old fluid you used?
Fog juice formulas vary - some not so good (plain glycerin in water) and some very good (blends of various glycols) that give thick smoke with good hang time.
I bought some top-line "fog juice" for $11/liter - the ingredients would cost more bought separately.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Aug 04, 2005, 04:46 AM
Joined Jul 2005
11 Posts
the smoke unit is a graupner and it came with a bottle of damof distillate. the fluid that i made up had some diesel in it, that worked really well as did the fluid that came with the genterator but i was warned not to use home made diesel mix, the fog juice that i bought is a water based one which doesn't hardly put out any smoke cost $20 a litre (australian). thanks.
Old Aug 04, 2005, 09:03 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,386 Posts
The Graupner isn't made to run water based fog juice. The fog juice isn't burned to make smoke - it's evaporated and then condenses to make "fog" that is seen as smoke. The fog-juice units use small fans or air pumps to blow a stream of air over the evaporating wick. Without the airstream to increase evapoartion and to help condense the fog, there is little visible "smoke".
Try blowing a gentle stream of air different directions across the Graupner wick. Use something like a 1/16" tube. A beverage straw is too big. Use a gentle air stream. Start with only a small amount of fluid in the reservoir, and make sure that you have cleaned the oil based fluid from the reservoir and wick with solvent very well, or the water based fluid won't wick up or evaporate well enough.
Hope some of the above helps.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:47 PM
Joined Jul 2005
11 Posts
thanks for that info, i did try the idea you had about the air flow and it helped quite a bit, then i tried using a bit of neat mineral oil (baby oil) with out any perfumes etc. and that with the air flow now works great, a lot better than the fog juice. hopefully this is safe!!. thanks again for your help boatabout.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:09 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Hi,
Does anyone have a good recipe for smoke fluid for a sullivan smoke pump? I am not willing to pay for the store bought so...

Thanks for any help,
Michael
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH