HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2005, 01:41 PM
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
AC/DC (Microprocessor Charger) Lithium Polymer Charger for 2 ~ 4 cells Pack

We just received the shipment for long awaiting Lipo chargers taking AC or DC as power input.

A lithium polymer microprocessor charger for 2~4 cells.
https://www.amondotech.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=988

Takes AC or DC as a power input. Very convenient!
The charging rates are 500mAh, 1000mAh and 2000mAh.

Only $59.95

If you are looking for independent channel charger, look at this 4 channel Lithium polymer charger: (no need to use balancer anymore!)
The charger only takes DC as a power input. We have a power supply to couple with this charger, so that you can use the charger via AC 110V.
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=849
Only $59.95

See some other Lipo chargers selections:
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...n=Custom&ID=72

Please give us suggestions on Lithium polymer chargers

Regards,
Wayne
AmondoTech is offline Find More Posts by AmondoTech
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2005, 01:51 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,564 Posts
Here's a suggestion - make a charger that likes the cells and avoids the errors.

"Automatically detests cell count and selects errors"

No disrespect intended. I just got a chuckle out of it.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Aug 03, 2005, 02:05 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
How Come No Display

We need to read VOLTAGE before charging

We like to customize current levels

We like to know AH readings

We need to know 80% discharge capacity

We need adjustable load

We need adjustable timeouts

Can this do anything like it ?

PROBABLY NO TO ALL
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Aug 03, 2005, 02:08 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmondoTech

Please give us suggestions on Lithium polymer chargers

Regards,
Wayne
1 through 4 cells at 50 mAh throught 5amps. in 50 mAh steps.
Manual and auto cell count with led conformation, volts and mAh display.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 03, 2005, 02:17 PM
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
Sundoggy: Thanks for the catch! I guess the person typed too quick in the description. Fixing it now.

Wayne
Old Aug 03, 2005, 02:27 PM
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
The automatic cell count is for safety control. There is a manual cell count enter. Then, the automatic cell count will double check the manual selections. If there is a disagreement on cell numbers, all LED lights will lit up to indicate errors.

In case, the right cell count is manually chosen but the lipo pack voltage is too low and triggers a complaint from auto cell count. There is switch to force charging.

In case the reverse polarity is connected to the charger, PTC fuse will come into play. This is another layer of protection.

There are different speed in the charging rate. It is prudent to charge Lipo below 1C rate. Don't use 2000mAh charging rate on 600mAh packs.

Is there another lipo charger takes both AC and DC?

Regards,
Wayne
Old Aug 03, 2005, 02:36 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Quote:

Is there another lipo charger takes both AC and DC?

Regards,
Wayne
All of mine take AC converted to DC. 80 Ah deep cycle battery maintained at 13.8 volts by home made 13.8 volts 45 Amp. power supply, no problems with AC brown out / power interruptions. At the field I use a 50 Ah sealed deep cycle.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 03, 2005, 03:01 PM
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
We will have a 110V -> 12V 7A power supply coming in today! This power supply is for Lipo chargers takes DC only.

Regards,
Old Aug 03, 2005, 07:40 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Wayne,

Good to see more choices in the field. To state Hall's somewhat undiplomatic points a little differently, having come through the early stage of LiPo technology many of us in the hobby treat charging these cells as a fairly delicate process.

The "black box" nature of these chargers can leave you a bit worried about what's really going on. Now, to be sure I trust the charge circuit in my phone, laptop, iPod, etc. to get it right without needing any feedback, but flight packs are pushed much closer to the edge in every way.

I'm sure that you'll have plenty of customers that are happy to treat charging their packs as a set and forget operation, but I know that for certain I would pay twice your asking price for your 4-port charger if it had a display that would tell me the current cell voltages for each cell connected, as well as the current taken in by each cell during charging.

One other issue with this charger is the parallel charge leads you offer; if they were available pre-assembled with connectors for the popular pack connectors (TP, Polyquest, Tanic, etc) this would make your unit very attractive.

Finally, you may wish to consider the charger mentioned in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315666

The auto-current selection technology it uses is very interesting from the black-box perspective, as well as from a safety perspective even in the manual-setting case.

One final note; you mention one of your chargers has an auto-cell-count detection mode, with an option to override the cell count detection and force charging. I think this was a bad idea - if the charger thinks that the pack is bad, it should not charge it, period. Just a personal perspective.

Do you have a local storefront, or someone locally that's carrying your gear?

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Aug 04, 2005, 01:13 AM
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to detail the concerns. Please see the comments below:

Good to see more choices in the field. To state Hall's somewhat undiplomatic points a little differently, having come through the early stage of LiPo technology many of us in the hobby treat charging these cells as a fairly delicate process.

The "black box" nature of these chargers can leave you a bit worried about what's really going on. Now, to be sure I trust the charge circuit in my phone, laptop, iPod, etc. to get it right without needing any feedback, but flight packs are pushed much closer to the edge in every way.
>>>> Well, it depends on how you look at the charging. Chargers are doing three things:
1. Start charging and can continue charging
2. Stop charging when batteries are fully charged
3. React to unplanned event such as cut-off when batteries get too hot, ....

# 1 is pretty straight forward and most chargers can do
# 2 is a little different. Depending on the definition of "full charge". For lithium batteries, a fully charge state is mostly defined by a fixed voltage like 4.2V or 4.25 V per cell. When Lipo batteries reach a certain voltage, then the chargers will stop charging.
#3 is the most difficult one. This depends on how complex and how many situations that a charger considers. For instance, a charger can monitor a battery pack temperature, when the battery pack's temperature reaches a certain point, cut off charging.

I'm sure that you'll have plenty of customers that are happy to treat charging their packs as a set and forget operation, but I know that for certain I would pay twice your asking price for your 4-port charger if it had a display that would tell me the current cell voltages for each cell connected, as well as the current taken in by each cell during charging.
>>>>> WC4 chargers are independent channel chargers. It is very easy to operature. Takes 30 secs to learn. In addition, it is extremely effective and safe.
>>>>> It is a good idea to add a LCD monitor on the chargers. I will definitely bring this feature up when we are going to the 2nd version in the future.

One other issue with this charger is the parallel charge leads you offer; if they were available pre-assembled with connectors for the popular pack connectors (TP, Polyquest, Tanic, etc) this would make your unit very attractive.
>>>>>> All our 10C rate battery packs can plug into WC4 charger directly. For other brand lipo cells, we offer connectors to fit with WC4 chargers. You can change a connector in 10 mins. You cut off wires, take out existing connector. Then, connect wires with a new wire linked with a WC4 connector. You are done.

Finally, you may wish to consider the charger mentioned in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315666
>>> Have you checked our site lately?

We offer 6 different Lipo chargers now. Every single one is made in Taiwan.

The auto-current selection technology it uses is very interesting from the black-box perspective, as well as from a safety perspective even in the manual-setting case.

One final note; you mention one of your chargers has an auto-cell-count detection mode, with an option to override the cell count detection and force charging. I think this was a bad idea - if the charger thinks that the pack is bad, it should not charge it, period. Just a personal perspective.
>>>> To force charging lipo packs when manual selections and auto-count are in disagreement is not a simple process. The users will need to take an extra effort to do a force charging. What I am trying to say is that a user will not accidently triger a forced charging. A forced charging is used under very unusal situations such as lipo cells got over discharged, the auto count was misled. The manual forced charging was the last effort to revive the packs.

>>>> We have stores carrying our products. Please let me know your state and city. I will see if we have stores in your location.

-------- Wayne

= Mike
Old Aug 04, 2005, 05:10 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Wayne,

It's good to use the site's markup language for quotes; it makes it much easier to see what's going on. I've reformatted below as best I can.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike

Well, it depends on how you look at the charging. Chargers are doing three things:
1. Start charging and can continue charging
2. Stop charging when batteries are fully charged
3. React to unplanned event such as cut-off when batteries get too hot, ....

# 1 is pretty straight forward and most chargers can do
# 2 is a little different. Depending on the definition of "full charge". For lithium batteries, a fully charge state is mostly defined by a fixed voltage like 4.2V or 4.25 V per cell. When Lipo batteries reach a certain voltage, then the chargers will stop charging.
#3 is the most difficult one. This depends on how complex and how many situations that a charger considers. For instance, a charger can monitor a battery pack temperature, when the battery pack's temperature reaches a certain point, cut off charging.
I understand this; perhaps my point didn't get across. From the perspective of someone that is familiar with what the charger is trying to do, it is good to have positive feedback both as to what the charger is doing, as well as what the battery's condition is.

If I look at a charger and just see a green LED, I don't know whether that means that everything is fine, or whether the charger just *thinks* that it is, but in reality things are going wrong. I want more details.

Not every customer feels this way, of course.

Quote:
Quote:
WC4 chargers are independent channel chargers. It is very easy to operature. Takes 30 secs to learn. In addition, it is extremely effective and safe.
It is a good idea to add a LCD monitor on the chargers. I will definitely bring this feature up when we are going to the 2nd version in the future.
This should definitely be a "pro" version feature; the current version's price is spot-on.

Quote:
Quote:
All our 10C rate battery packs can plug into WC4 charger directly. For other brand lipo cells, we offer connectors to fit with WC4 chargers. You can change a connector in 10 mins. You cut off wires, take out existing connector. Then, connect wires with a new wire linked with a WC4 connector. You are done.
Suggesting that a customer cut and re-wire the parallel charge lead on a pre-made pack is not very good; these leads tend to be very short, and the risk of short-circuiting a cell is very high. Simply making a set of adapter leads that connect between your charger and the various packs would be much better - by insisting that only your connector be used, you make the same mistake that the other pack vendors have by not standardising on a single connector.

Quote:
Quote:
Have you checked our site lately?

We offer 6 different Lipo chargers now. Every single one is made in Taiwan.
Indeed I checked your site just today. The important thing you should notice about the charger in that thread is that it automatically senses both cell count and charge current. For your "set and forget" customers, this is ideal; I will be buying one of these chargers soon.

Quote:
Quote:
We have stores carrying our products. Please let me know your state and city. I will see if we have stores in your location.
As you should be able to see from my profile, I am just down the road from you...

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok