HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2005, 10:57 AM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Snap Flaps / Flap– Aileron Mix / Flaperons

Just a quick question guys,

Snap flaps are used to increase wing lift during turning …. Right?

Is there any benefit in using a “flap – aileron” mix on a plane with full length flaperons?

Or will the result just the same as reducing the aileron differential you previously dialed in?

Crash
crashbuilder is offline Find More Posts by crashbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2005, 12:24 PM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Dumb question?????
Old Aug 03, 2005, 12:33 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,240 Posts
Snap flap is used primarily by slope racers to quicken the turns. It adds lift allowing harder turns. It can be usefull for aerobatic or fun flying too. The usuall mix for this is when the elevator is deflected the trailing edge controls of the wing go the opposite direction from the elevator (pull up the wing trailing edge goes down). You only need a couple of mm of trailing edge movement.

Aileron-flap mix is used in a 4 servo wing. It links the flaps with the ailerons giving more roll control. It essentially turns the flaps into another set of ailerons. I always use this if I have flaps and ailerons.

Flaperon is usually only used in a 2 servo wing, that does not have separate flaps. This allows you to droop both ailerons making them act as flaps. It's is rarely used as you loose aileron control as the surfaces lower. Spoileron is much more commonly used. Both ailerons go up instead of down. This mix is usually only used as a landing aid.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Aug 04, 2005, 08:08 AM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Thanks TFLG, it seems I've got my concepts and the terminology wrong. I thought snap flaps mixed aileron to flap not aileron to elevator. So I guess the real question is does anyone fly "Snap Flaperons"?
Old Aug 04, 2005, 08:15 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,240 Posts
Snap flap mixes either the elevator with the flaps OR with the flaps AND the ailerons. If you only have ailerons you can mix elevator to aileron. Some of the old 60" racers used to do that. It's all called "snap flap"

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Aug 05, 2005, 01:52 AM
Retired Slope Racer
SoCal
Joined May 2003
2,540 Posts
I have my 60 inch planes set up with Snap Flap as defined by TFLG. Helps greatly in aerobatics (square loops anyone?), and of course, in slope racing. So yes, do it. If you do it too much and see a reduction in speed coming out of a hard turn, back it off a bit and keep testing. Probably about 3-4mm is the max on a 60"
nwoods is offline Find More Posts by nwoods