HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:23 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
A question to my American friends.

At a few recent , basketball games (Toronto Raptors team) when our national anthem is played Americans at the game are "Booing" My question is why?
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:27 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
I've seen this, too (not at baseball games, though. I quit watching the Tigers years ago). . . . It's the same people who won't remove their hats, either. Look at the ones that are doing this, and I think you'll be enlightened.

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:29 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
George,

One more thing. I taught Mo Pete in High School, and you've got yourself a WINNER there .

VP
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:54 AM
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Hi VP
I'm not a sports fan, but that's interesting to know. I just heard that the same "Booing" occured at last nights' Hockey game in Maryland (Maple Leafs) The really funny thing is that none of the "Raptors" team players are Canadian.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 08:53 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,134 Posts
I dont think its an "american" thing.....just poor Fans-manship.

Personally....I think watching sports is good....playing them is even better. I'm always suspect of the overweight couchpotato's who's sole purpose and meaning in life is to *watch* some others play a sport and spend countless hours waiving a team flag bragging about *their* accomplishments.

Back in the early eighties when the baseball and football strikes occured i came out of my boyhood "fantasy' idealization of sports and athletes and realizied its just money......

Now, i just enjoy watching a good game. Doesn't matter whose playing who as long as its entertaining.

BTW, i think its cool hearing "Oh Canada" when its sung here in the USA

Just my opinion

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:09 AM
Bonney Lake, WA
Joined Jan 2002
788 Posts
It really is bad sportsmanship, not one nation in particular. I went to a Canucks game last year and during the American National Anthem, a number of poor-sport Canadians were booing. VP was right - looking at what type of people those are gives you and idea that most people really aren't that bad.
flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by flyfalcons
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:43 PM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfalcons
during the American National Anthem, a number of poor-sport Canadians were booing.
I've seen that myself. These are the same people who start a fight when they quit selling beer in the 4th quarter of a football game. They have a shortage of brains, manners and teeth .
Tarpon Shawn is online now Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Apr 29, 2002, 05:12 PM
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I really didn't think it was an American /Canadian thing, you aren't any different than us, other than our Mosquitoes
are bigger and uglier! Come to think of it though, when I was in
Bemidji MN a few of years ago they were pretty ugly up there.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:57 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
Airnut

You obviously have never been to Secaucus,New Jersey.
My Dad used to work there in the freight yards. He told me the mosquitoes were so big they had to get landing clearance from Newark airport just to bite you.

We in this country are notoriously bad sports and cannot tolerate losing. Doen't have to be a foreign country--any rival will do.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Apr 30, 2002, 02:53 AM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Let me be honest with you a lot of us are a******s . I would not do that but there a lot who would. Its the typical american male "we are better than you are" . I'm sorry to hear this is happening let me apologize on behalf of us who are not a******s.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Last edited by Mark Wood; May 01, 2002 at 09:13 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 07:23 AM
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
No need to apoligize We have lots of "Mental midgets" up here too!
If it is politically incorrect to use that term,then I can't be called "Bald",
please refer to me as "Folically challenged"
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:44 AM
Clarks Summit, Pa
Joined Jan 2002
40 Posts
Respect

It is just basic disrespect , by ignorant people. I noticed this during the Olympics. Not the booing so much as the inattention (espically Americans) when their own or other nations songs were sung.
To me as a 64 year old American I think there is nothing more beautiful at the events than to see a team member singing their country's special song and at the Olympics sheding a tear as they do it.
Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Bailey
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:53 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Bailey,

Man it's great to hear some good-ole' patriotism nowadays. It seems that so many Americans want to knock our country. Kinda chokes me up, too, when I see those youngsters so proudly representing their countries.

VP
Old May 01, 2002, 08:21 AM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
Airnut 2,

What hockey game in Maryland? Are you talking about the Washington Capitals? I'm a season ticket holder and have never heard fans Boo during the Canadian anthem!

And plus the Capitals have not played in a couple of weeks.....because we sucked this year!!!!!

John
J Bergsmith is offline Find More Posts by J Bergsmith
Old May 01, 2002, 01:08 PM
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Hi John
I just relayed what all the talk shows up here were talking about on Monday. I am "Not" a sports fan so I really didn't pay much attention to the teams or locations. I know the first incident was a basketball game in Detroit last week, then again at a hockey game( "Maple Leafs") and I thought it was in Maryland but I guess I was wrong about the location.(but it was in the States somewhere, that's the reason for my original post)
My mistake.
P.S. I just heard it was an "Islanders" vs. "Maple Leaf" hockey game.
Last edited by Airnut 2; May 01, 2002 at 01:13 PM.