Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2001, 01:57 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Charles,

There are some very clever mixing options available on my Sanwa RD6000. However, I'm not good enough as a pilot to use the full range given.

BUT, some models will need some basic mixing to even fly at all. The most common is the flying wing/delta (eg Zagi, IFO, Manx etc) layout using elevons. As the name implies, the elevon fulfills the duty of both elevator and aileron, by mixing two functions to move a single control surface.

I also use the flapperon mix on my conventional Bubbles model. This enables me to use a seperate servo for each aileron, with the additional bonus of being able to lower both ailerons together to increase lift for takeoff/landings.

That's as far as I've explored so far, but I'm considering mixing a little down elevator in with the throttle on my motorglider, so that opening the throttle no longer pitches the nose skywards. Mind you, it might be easier just to build in some downthrust!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2001, 02:16 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
On some planes, the Piper J-3 for instance, mixing the rudder to the aileron improves the turning, even when differential aileron is used.
Long-span planes can use this to get the nose more into the turn.
Mixing in down elevator on a plane with flaps that balloons with flaps down makes it easier to fly flaps down.
For a 3-channel plane with no ailerons, mixing the rudder to the aileron channel lets the rudder control the nose wheel and rudder on the left stick.. and the aileron stick control the rudder in the air. When moving to a 4-channel plane, there's nothing to learn extra.. i.e.,the rudder and nose wheel steering on the ground.
Sparky Paul http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff http://www.networkone.net/~pjburke/index.html
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 11, 2001, 04:05 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Thanks tim and Paul,

I am surprise to see there is a taining related improvement by putting the steering ch3 on left-stick-rudder for a simple 3ch setup. That's a good example of mixing at the Tx. Thanks agin Paul.

Still having fun,
Charles
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old May 12, 2001, 12:05 AM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Any tips in using ch-mixing and why?!!

Can some one give me a tutorial on how to use channel mixing capabilities on your Tx to improve your flight? Tx manual only tells you what you can do with the Tx, but gives very little hints as how and when you might want to use these powerful features. I think, I have EPA end-point-adjustments, dual-rate, trims and exponential settings under my belt. I can also see how the flap coupling will help glider landings.

Are these programmable mixings only good for acrobatic turns and loops?!!

I am not a pilot. I am trying to learn some simple terms to apply these powerful features into my normal flying abilities.

Trying to have more fun,
Charles
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old May 12, 2001, 02:59 PM
co usa earth
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
Channel mixing is good for dual servo ailerons/flaperons. Also for dual servo tailerons. Some park/slow flyers pitch nose up at full throttle and nose down with reduced throttle. Mixing can be used to control this unwanted pitching and have more of a level flight. Aileron rudder coupling works well on some planes. Flap/elevator coupling is nice to have for making very controllable and precise spot landings. In short, Channel mixing is a very useful thing to have when making unconventional models. It can be useful even in simple 3 channel applications. I had a 3 channel taileron equipped aerobatic plane that used 2 programable mixers to make the tailerons work.
tickettothemoon is offline Find More Posts by tickettothemoon