HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2005, 03:20 AM
Auckland, N.Z.
Joined Jul 2005
32 Posts
Tenente, mono wing WW1, Peter Rake Design

Hi to all from a new member

I have aquired a partly built Tenente, this was a Peter Rake design published in a magazine with a set of plans. I have the plans but not the mag. (If anyone could help me with a copy of the article it would be much appreciated) I intend to complete the construction and fit out with a brushless motor and lithium battery.

All comments welcome

Thanks from downunder,
Kerry.
Kiwis can fly is offline Find More Posts by Kiwis can fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2005, 12:03 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
I have that mag and plan someplace!.........I think it was published by the (then) new Quite Flight mag.
If I recall it was a suedo Italian monoplane of the first war vintage.

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Aug 02, 2005, 10:56 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,648 Posts
I can't remember where that one was published either. I do remember that it flew well though - even if a bit faster than I'd intended. First time I took off with it, the thing was airborne in about 15 feet and climbing at around 30 degrees. Power was, IIRC, a Speedgear 480, 8x800AR cells and 11x7 prop. Span was about 50", or so and all up weight about 32 oz. Did a great line in sweeping, heavily banked turns.
The finish seemed to take forever. Although basically all cream, with aluminium nose areas, I had this great idea to cover the upper surfaces with loads of little green squiggles - all hand painted. Nearly drove me mad.

As Ian says, it was never intended to represent any particular aircraft, just a fairly general WW1 monoplane style thing.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 02, 2005, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Sorry, the mag.was SILENT FLIGHT, Vol.7 No.1 Jan-Fed 1999 ..............just looked at my copy of the plan review.

I'm sure Peter can add more if required, but with Brushless and Lipos . you could get the weight south of 25oz!

Ian
Old Aug 03, 2005, 02:02 AM
Auckland, N.Z.
Joined Jul 2005
32 Posts
Thankyou Ian and Pete for your replies,

Pete,
yes the wingspan is 54", and it was me who lightened the front section, I have also built the nose cone a little lighter than your plans.
I will remove the existing monocote and replace with so-lite, following my sons (Timay the toolman) instructions to reduce weight as much as possible, hence making the plane fly as slow as possible for learner dad. (Me)

Ian,
could you photograph the article (with the new 3700) and email it to me for a read, or put it on this discussion for others to see as well, or would this contravene copyright laws?
I do have the plan sheet, and when I did a search for Tenente nothing about the plane showed up on the net.
I love those aerial shots of your town, what a beautifull place you live in.
It has inspired us to adapt our digital camera to our powered glider and have a go.
We tied a 400g sand bag (equal to camera weight) on to the wing today and let her rip. She went up no problem, so now it's the fitting of a servo to the camera, and we hope soon to be able to show you our local park here in Auckland.

I know the plane is only a suedo, but I like it, and how many would still be around? I may have the only example in the world.

Cheers,

Kerry.
Old Aug 03, 2005, 01:22 PM
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
I will do my best to capture the item from Silent Flight...
Its not a long piece, just 3 pages in colour.
I look forward to seeing Auckland from the air.
Ian
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:32 PM
Auckland, N.Z.
Joined Jul 2005
32 Posts
Hi Ian,
any luck with those photo's of the article.

We have had the camera airbourne for 1 flight with moderate success.
Second flight took out a tree

All repaired now but the new prop is not doing the job, still got some sorting to do.

Cheers,
Kerry.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 01:13 PM
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
I have taken the pictures, but the script is white on green, but seven reasonable photos of the build article.
I have to get my son to up load on his laptop, as both his Nikon D70 and my 3700 share the same software.
He will do that as soon as he is back from his police training,Wed. latest.
He was at Silverstone on Saturday for some endurance race.......below is a sample of the pics he takes for his web site........

Ian
Old Aug 23, 2005, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Sorry this took so long.......

Cannot say how they have come out reduced by RC groups(saves time. at least)

Ian
Old Aug 23, 2005, 03:39 PM
Auckland, N.Z.
Joined Jul 2005
32 Posts
Thanks Ian,
this is a great help to me, and my first look at what the model looked like.
I can enhance the pages and print them out for a good read.
Cheers,
Kerry.
PS. Thank your son also. His pictures are very professional, I had a good look at his site.